Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Watch WLC dodge a clear question.
Watch WLC dodge a clear question.
How did God create the Universe out of nothing:

He says who caused it (God), but he refuses to say how God caused it.  Dr Craig, "How did God create the Universe out of nothing?"  Of course, you can see Craig's fact-twisting after this, inviting us to schizophrenia, by getting us to believe that modern cosmology supports modern theism, especially, Craig's Christian theism.
RE: Watch WLC dodge a clear question.
I think your comments are pretty dismissive. WLC in fact made a very clear and detailed description of the religious position. is there a competing theory which answers the how? Does the Big Bang Theory explain how it is that there was a Big Bang to be had, for example?

I'm not Christian, and I've heard WLC make arguments I consider weak or incomplete. But I challenge you to answer the question that you claim WLC is dodging: how did the universe come into being?
(December 10, 2016 at 8:45 am)bennyboy Wrote: I think your comments are pretty dismissive.  WLC in fact made a very clear and detailed description of the religious position.  is there a competing theory which answers the how?  Does the Big Bang Theory explain how it is that there was a Big Bang to be had, for example?

I'm not Christian, and I've heard WLC make arguments I consider weak or incomplete.  But I challenge you to answer the question that you claim WLC is dodging: how did the universe come into being?

How did God do that?  That was the question that Kuhn asked!  Be the Devil's advocate here, how did God create something out of nothing?
His answer is honest. I suppose he could have admitted that he did not know the "how." Perhaps he felt that if he said "we don't know" he might open up a gap that atheists can fit the Fly Spaghetti Monster into.

Interviewer: What does it mean to say that God created everything out of nothing?
WLC (condensed): I think it means that God created everything out of nothing.

He elaborates with further questioning that God sparked the expansion of the universe (the Big Bang) but again says that he did so from nothing. The Bible simply says that God created the Heavens and the Earth. No information whatsoever about where he pulled it out of, in contrast to where we might guess the stories were pulled from.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(December 10, 2016 at 11:59 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(December 10, 2016 at 8:45 am)bennyboy Wrote: I think your comments are pretty dismissive.  WLC in fact made a very clear and detailed description of the religious position.  is there a competing theory which answers the how?  Does the Big Bang Theory explain how it is that there was a Big Bang to be had, for example?

I'm not Christian, and I've heard WLC make arguments I consider weak or incomplete.  But I challenge you to answer the question that you claim WLC is dodging: how did the universe come into being?

How did God do that?  That was the question that Kuhn asked!  Be the Devil's advocate here, how did God create something out of nothing?

It's a pretty long video, but I missed where Kuhn asked that question.  Could you tell me at what time in the video he did so?
(December 10, 2016 at 11:59 am)Jehanne Wrote:

Topic should be changed to: "Watch Jehanne dodge a clear question"
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(December 10, 2016 at 1:53 pm)Aegon Wrote:
(December 10, 2016 at 11:59 am)Jehanne Wrote: How did God do that?  That was the question that Kuhn asked!  Be the Devil's advocate here, how did God create something out of nothing?

Topic should be changed to: "Watch Jehanne dodge a clear question"

Then ask your question and I'll be happy to answer it.
(December 10, 2016 at 2:23 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(December 10, 2016 at 1:53 pm)Aegon Wrote: Topic should be changed to: "Watch Jehanne dodge a clear question"

Then ask your question and I'll be happy to answer it.

"But I challenge you to answer the question that you claim WLC is dodging: how did the universe come into being?"
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(December 10, 2016 at 1:13 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(December 10, 2016 at 11:59 am)Jehanne Wrote: How did God do that?  That was the question that Kuhn asked!  Be the Devil's advocate here, how did God create something out of nothing?

It's a pretty long video, but I missed where Kuhn asked that question.  Could you tell me at what time in the video he did so?

I think that it was pretty clear in his first question:
Quote:"Bill, what does it mean that God..."

If Craig (or, you, or anyone else) cannot say how God created the Universe, then how can it possibly "mean" anything?

After all, how do physicians cure a disease?  What does it mean for a physician to cure a disease?  Do they simply "cure" it?  Or, do they do certain things (such as prescribing antibiotics) to cure an illness, disease, etc.  I think that this is the point that Kuhn was trying to make here.

(December 10, 2016 at 2:25 pm)Aegon Wrote:
(December 10, 2016 at 2:23 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Then ask your question and I'll be happy to answer it.

"But I challenge you to answer the question that you claim WLC is dodging: how did the universe come into being?"

It's eternal, and therefore, has always existed.
(December 10, 2016 at 2:26 pm)Jehanne Wrote: If Craig (or, you, or anyone else) cannot say how God created the Universe, then how can it possibly "mean" anything?

After all, how do physicians cure a disease?  What does it mean for a physician to cure a disease?  Do they simply "cure" it?  Or, do they do certain things (such as prescribing antibiotics) to cure an illness, disease, etc.  I think that this is the point that Kuhn was trying to make here.
I think you're moving the goalposts. It is really NOT clear what point Kuhn might have been trying to make, and I really don't think WLC dodged that question or any other. In fact, I think he summarized his position extremely well. And I think he's right that a reasonable-minded Christian might look to the Big Bang as support for the idea that something may be created out of nothing. The difference is that the Christian has the philosophical God idea to explain why there WAS a Big Bang, whereas the rest of us have to speculate other equally unsatisfying things: quantum foam etc. etc.

Quote:
(December 10, 2016 at 2:25 pm)Aegon Wrote: "But I challenge you to answer the question that you claim WLC is dodging: how did the universe come into being?"

It's eternal, and therefore, has always existed.
This is a good position. As I say to the Christians: if you get to special plead just ONE entity which exists but need not have been created, why not special plead that the universe has this property, rather than inventing a 2nd entity who gets that consideration?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WLC: "You can't prove the negative" Fake Messiah 107 5365 February 25, 2022 at 9:57 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  WLC, Free Will, and God's divine foreknowledge SuperSentient 15 2715 April 1, 2017 at 2:50 am
Last Post: bennyboy