Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To pacify or not to pacify
To pacify or not to pacify
This is a recent topic between me and my wife. Sofia dislikes pacifyers. People keep telling me its good to keep babies calm. We bought 14 different models to date.

Panic
RE: To pacify or not to pacify
They're useful.

Our daughter simply didn't accept pacifiers as long as she was breastfed. We weaned her in steps (first during the day, then in the evenings, and finally.during the night - pretty much the day it completely stopped, she suddenly became interested in pacifiers. She's now 17 months old already, and we try to avoid giving her one while we are playing etc. simply because she is essentially mute with a pacifier, and we feel that it hinders her language development when she's discouraged to speak (so far only in her funny made up language) due to the pacifier. In some situations though, they are pretty life saving (or rather eardrum saving)
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 10, 2016 at 3:42 pm)LastPoet Wrote: This is a recent topic between me and my wife. Sofia dislikes pacifyers. People keep telling me its good to keep babies calm. We bought 14 different models to date.

Panic

If the goal is to keep baby calm, it's tough to beat Benadryl . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

We had this goal not to use one, but ended up using one because a nurse told me that babies who sleep with pacifiers are less likely to suffer SIDS. I don't even know if it's true, I just took her word for it at the time.
I breastfed for more than 18 months, and she still liked her pacifier. It was not hard to ween her from it, only took a week or so, gone before she was 2. Did no damage.

So I'd just say it's personal choice. The only bad thing I remember was having to always have a backup, in case one was lost or fell in the dirt or something.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
We used one with our son, but sparingly. It seemed to be more his choice than ours. He'd let us know when he wanted it (loudly) and the next thing you know it was gone and he was off to something else or sleep. We must have gone through a dozen.

In short, each kid is different. You and she will figure it out.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(December 10, 2016 at 3:46 pm)Alex K Wrote: Our daughter simply didn't accept pacifiers as long as she was breastfed. We weaned her in steps (first during the day, then in the evenings, and finally.during the night - pretty much the day it completely stopped, she suddenly became interested in pacifiers. She's now 17 months old already, and we try to avoid giving her one while we are playing etc. simply because she is essentially mute with a pacifier, and we feel that it hinders her language development when she's discouraged to speak (so far only in her funny made up language) due to the pacifier. In some situations though, they are pretty life saving (or rather eardrum saving)

Yes, tinitis. Worse than a gunshot near the ear IMO.

I hear that. She is exclusively boob fed. Daddy sulks in the corner.
I would raise my baby like Robert DeNiro in meet the fockers
“Love is the only bow on Life’s dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher.

It is the air and light of every heart – builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody – for music is the voice of love.

Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.” - Robert. G. Ingersoll

(December 10, 2016 at 4:06 pm)Aroura Wrote: We had this goal not to use one, but ended up using one because a nurse told me that babies who sleep with pacifiers are less likely to suffer SIDS. I don't even know if it's true, I just took her word for it at the time.
I breastfed for more than 18 months, and she still liked her pacifier.  It was not hard to ween her from it, only took a week or so, gone before she was 2. Did no damage.

So I'd just say it's personal choice. The only bad thing I remember was having to always have a backup, in case one was lost or fell in the dirt or something.

We never went against it. We have 10 different models.
There are so many myths regarding pregnancy and new born/breastfeeding/etc. That amazes me.

Lmao, one could create a subforum on that.
(December 10, 2016 at 5:18 pm)operator Wrote: I would raise my baby like Robert DeNiro in meet the fockers

You mean the Ferber method or the fake tits? Big Grin

[Image: 457-2.jpg]
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition