Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 10:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hei from Norway
Hei from Norway
Hey guys, 

I've been lurking for a while, and since I've now finally started replying to some posts, I thought it might be time for a short* introduction. 

As I've hinted at in the thread subject, I'm a Norwegian, living in Oslo. That's the country of reindeers, trolls, Åsatru and the very tasty brown goat cheese. Our country's entire population is smaller than the population of London, England. We're also infamous for lutefisk and smalahove, but for your own good, don't ever try any of those things. Don't even google it. (I'm serious, it's horrific.) We're also currently known as the country who throws out the highest amount of refugees, with our "proudest" moment being when we (and by "we" I mean our shameless, evil minister of immigration, Sylvi Listhaug, who almost makes Trump look good) recently sent a family back to Kabul, which shortly after got injured by an explosion. They were arrested and deported on the very day the 7 year old boy was celebrating his birthday. We weren't always such assholes, in fact we used to be a very generous and open country, but with the rise of racism and fascism going on, things are looking pretty gloomy these days. 

But enough gloom! I love guinea pigs, so I guess that's worth mentioning. However bad mood I'm in, a picture or video of guinea pigs will cheer me up instantly. I have a boyfriend in Copenhagen (that's in Denmark), he's seven years younger than me (score!), and we're doing this long distance thing until he gets his degree and finds a job up here in Oslo. Meanwhile, I work part time as a night nurse at the hospital, while attempting to get a degree in Computer science and Interaction Design. I started four months ago, so only 2,5 years to go. Ugh. (If anyone got skills in Java programming and want to volunteer as heroes,** that would be greatly appreciated. 

People who know me would say I'm a nerd. I love gaming (computer, tabletop RPG, LARPs and a few select board games), literature (that includes comic books), TV series and movies with a passion normal people can't really relate to. I'm also deeply into soundtracks. Of course I love Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter (#TeamSlytherin) and Doctor Who, to mention some. You may at any point talk to me about any of these things. 

I know everyone says this, but I love traveling. The highlights of my life have definitely taken place abroad. My year studying in Glasgow (Scotland), way back when, was amazing, and I consider that place my second home. I've made it to San Diego Comic Con three times, and every time has been wildly epic. I've also been to Paris, Berlin, Athens, Montreal, San Fransisco and L.A., and loads of cities in the U.K. I actually lived in England for half a year, and worked there as a nurse. I learned a lot from that.***

Politically, I'm a "leftist libtard," as the intellectuals on the right side like to call us, and Bernie Sanders is my spirit animal (followed by Alaska Thunderfuck and John Barrowman). I'm more fond of food than what's good for me, especially junk food and sweets, and my greatest tragedy in life is that Dunkin Donuts hasn't found its way to Norway yet. I used to have a great workout routine going to compensate for this, a few years ago, but I've gotten lazy in my old age.**** Still trying to get back on track, though. 

I could go on forever, but I should probably stop myself now. I hope you've enjoyed reading my litte introduction, and please feel free to comment or ask me anything. I've come from a forum where most people spam with complaints about their personal lives and mods are incompetent, so I'm hoping this forum will be a more interesting and fun experience. I can be a bit straightforward and rough in my posts (Norwegians are not known for being polite; it's just not a natural part of our culture), so I apologize in advance for any offense I might be giving. 

Have a lovely day, or night, wherever you are. (It's currently night in Norway, and I'm doing a shift. It's very calm and quiet, so I'm bored out of my mind. Please talk to me!)

- Thal 

* That was a lie. I'm too fond of writing. I couldn't keep anything short to save my life. 
** Someone I can message when I'm stuck with an assignment and ask "Why doesn't my code work?" or "How on earth am I supposed to do this?"
*** Mostly that free healthcare is a wonderful, wonderful thing, and that 80's clubs will always have a special place in my heart. 
**** Mid thirties. Almost. But whenever I meet new people they always think I'm in my mid twenties, which is more in tune with how I feel.
* * *  Something something dark side  * * *
RE: Hei from Norway
That may be the best introductory post I have read to date. Welcome to the forum!
Hello there.
Min, do you ever sleep? I know it's past my bedtime.
welcome!

Norway, wow!

That is where Casey Kasem (American rock-n-roll DJ) is buried in an unmarked grave !

(weird that was on TV tonite and now a new poster from Norway!)
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Thanks guys! Smile

Are there many other norskies in here? (I'll take them all down. I want to be the Norwegian Supreme!)
(December 10, 2016 at 11:43 pm)Thal Wrote: Thanks guys! Smile

Are there many other norskies in here? (I'll take them all down. I want to be the Norwegian Supreme!)

Well, My maternal grandparents were both Norwegian but I actually speak better Icelandic than Norwegian.  I've heard about lutefisk and prefer to take My chances with harðfiskur and volcanoes. Big Grin
Hearing about it is about as close to it as you'd want to come. Volcanoes are way safer. Big Grin
We've got a bunch of Scandinavians here!

Welcome to the forums, Thal!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I would actually love to try lutefisk and smalahove. I love the idea of trying horrific food, though. Welcome!