Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I just say why I love you guys?
Can I just say why I love you guys?
As many of you know about me, I am a former Jehovah's Witness.

I recently got a little annoyed with a website that is ran by some ex-jw's. They are pretty careless in their reporting which alone doesn't bother me but its how self-righteous they are in their reporting that pushes me over the edge. I started commenting on their articles asking them to give some evidence or basis for claims they made. I have been exercising critical thinking and skepticism of all sorts since leaving my religion and I felt that I was simply doing this with my comments.

Well long story short, they didn't appreciate my comments. They deleted almost all of my comments and blocked me from accessing their website. I thought the deleting my comments part was funny since they also made a lot of accusations of how my comments were breaking their posting rules. Then when I commented on my frustration to other sites they further threw accusations at me without providing any context or proof. Basically, they seemed to use the same tactics that they claim to hate from the JW organization.

Here is where I love you guys... I have had some heated exchanges with many of you. My posting style isn't exactly done with tact but I try to be honest and fair. And for the most part, none of you are hung up on insecurities that you get butthurt for someone not kissing your ass and telling you that you're infallible. After this back and forth I realized how nice it is to have debates with people that are more focused on logic and reason instead of simply just "anti-theism"

I realize that there is a lot more nuance on here than an ex-jw website, but still. I am glad to have somewhere to go to when I want to have a civilized, yet provocative, debate
RE: Can I just say why I love you guys?
Oh, fuck off.

Lol we're glad to have you.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I'm happy you like it here! Glad to have you.

Yes, I very much like how people are mostly allowed to get on with it, with staff intervention being minimal. I don't like any subjects of discussion being off limits, including criticism of posts, the forum, the rules, and so on. Good ideas don't need protecting, and bad ones should be exposed.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
And we generally don't delete anyones posts unless you post child nudity Big Grin
But seriously, selfrighteous and arbitrary deletion or censoring of posts is what has killed many a forum. The old Richard Dawkins forum is just one example...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Who are you?
Delete! Obsolete! Delete! Obsolete!

(Anyone?)
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
piffle !

poppycock !!

dreck !!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(December 11, 2016 at 12:20 pm)robvalue Wrote: Delete! Obsolete! Delete! Obsolete!

(Anyone?)
*Looks at signature*

Oh wait...
I think there are some here that would love to be butt hurt and ass kissed.

Stop looking at me that way!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things Atheists say... Authari 26 1097 January 9, 2024 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1415 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2317 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? Dragonfly 222 27376 December 18, 2018 at 1:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11327 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5180 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Have You Guys... Icy 26 3755 July 22, 2018 at 11:39 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  New atheist here, gotta say, not loving it Rayden_Greywolf 166 23461 November 30, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  More than half of the Uk say they are non-religious downbeatplumb 9 2868 September 5, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  These guys make me sick Manowar 23 7865 July 8, 2017 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Fireball