Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SUICIDE AND MORALITY
SUICIDE AND MORALITY
Is suicide immoral?

From wikipedia:

wikipedia Wrote:There are arguments in favor of allowing an individual to choose between life and suicide. Those in favor of suicide as a personal choice reject the thought that suicide is always or usually irrational, but is instead a solution to real problems; a line of last resort that can legitimately be taken when the alternative is considered worse. They believe that no being should be made to suffer unnecessarily, and suicide provides an escape from suffering.
Idealism[edit]
Herodotus wrote: "When life is so burdensome, death has become for man a sought-after refuge". Schopenhauer affirmed: "They tell us that suicide is the greatest act of cowardice... that suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in the world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person."[...]

P.S. (AND DISCLAIMER!!!):

I AM NOT SUICIDAL!!!

I am, however, drunk(en).

I am not however. Suicidal.

I am NOT suicidal. I am drunk BUT I AM NOT suicidal. I AM NOT. Listen to my words. Listen to them.

I am NOT suicidal. I am NOT.

I am drunk but I am NOT. Suicidal (or even depressed currently). I am NOT. You understand the meaning of "not"/"NOT" yeah?

I am NOT suicidal (/ I am not suicidal (capitals don't matter but emphasis). I am not.

Anyways. Hope that that is cleared up. Read my actual words.

me on another thread Wrote:When you read my posts I think it's best that you either go by the words in my posts instead of how it comes across to you or just skip my posts altogether
RE: SUICIDE AND MORALITY
I don't see suicide in itself as immoral. I could see it as immoral if you have dependents who rely on you, so it's a situational thing. If you are only hurting yourself, I don't see the problem. In fact, it might even be immoral to keep someone alive in some situations. Yet again, it's situational.

I've been suicidal often enough before (not currently), so I've definitely thought about this a lot.
Me too. (not currently) Me too.
Hey Ham, I myself define morality as aligning individual interest to group interest. So I'd say suicide is immoral as losing a productive member with high potential will have a negative impact on society.

I hope you're doing fine, we all have our ups and downs, it's nothing to be ashamed of and the best part is these moments are almost always guaranteed to pass.
Like any other human action, suicide may be moral or immoral, depending on the circumstances.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 12, 2016 at 4:55 am)pool the great Wrote: Hey Ham, I myself define morality as aligning individual interest to group interest. So I'd say suicide is immoral as losing a productive member with high potential will have a negative impact on society.

I hope you're doing fine, we all have our ups and downs, it's nothing to be ashamed of and the best part is these moments are almost always guaranteed to pass.

If that's how you decide what's moral than I'd think most suicides are moral. If someone is old, disabled or just not productive then them killing themselves saves the resources being spent on keeping that person alive and they could be killing themselves for the greater good in society.

I think it depends on the circumstances. I wouldn't hold it against a terminally ill or old person for killing themselves.

I do think it is wrong, because if you are healthy and you've got money and luxury then you should appreciate it.

But then there's that idea of some people get depressed because of their luxury and they have too much time to think about the universes problems rather than just thinking about work problems or kid problems or wife problems, car problems and so on.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Suicide, unless it relieves one's family or community of the burden of caring for the uncarable-for, is immoral in my opinion.

Should I inflict suffering on others in order to remove myself of my own? No. So long as I am capable of making a rational decision, I will carry the full burden of my suffering, physical or psychological, because I know what my suicide would do to those around me.
Suicide can be a selfish or selfless move. Those left after get to make the judgement.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Suicide is personal. Maybe the most personal decision any individual can make. It's got nothing to do with morality but with despair. And despair has always a reason.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I guess I would say it's amoral.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 1755 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 10149 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 34889 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1327 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8219 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3501 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4409 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
  Morality WinterHold 24 2791 November 1, 2017 at 1:36 pm
  What is morality? Mystic 48 6895 September 3, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Morality from the ground up bennyboy 66 10834 August 4, 2017 at 5:42 pm