Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shouldn't the right to die be a human right?
Shouldn't the right to die be a human right?
I mean, c'mon, every human has a right to live, shouldn't they have a right to die too..

What do you think?

1) Is it moral to grant a human the right to die?
2) Is it moral to deny a human the right to die?
RE: Shouldn't the right to die be a human right?
I agree that the right to die as one sees fit ought to be protected.

It -is- a human right...but more importantly an inescapable reality. No one can stop you. No one grants or denies it.  No law, no government, no nothing...can stop us from dying - even if they tried. Sure, they can write laws against dead men, good luck at that trial. Does it matter who wins?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 13, 2016 at 11:01 pm)Rhythm Wrote: It -is- a human right, no one can stop you.  No law, no government, no nothing...can stop us from dying - even if they tried.  Sure, they can write laws against dead man, good luck at that trial.  Does it matter ho wins?

Actually the government has stopped people from dying, when they're hospitalized, and unable to self terminate. I believe people should be able to say when they're ready to give up, and move on to whatever next life might exist. Or just peaceful cessation of existence.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

No.  They haven't.  No one, ever, in the history of mankind, has ever stopped anyone from dying. They've inconvenienced them. That's the best we can do.

I think they should stop that too.....it takes -real- idiot to fight against those odds.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 13, 2016 at 11:05 pm)Rhythm Wrote: No.  They haven't.  No one, ever, in the history of mankind, has ever stopped anyone from dying. They've inconvenienced them. That's the best we can do.

By keeping euthanasia illegal they are. Somebody who does not have the physical capability to end their own life needs another to do it for them.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
No, they're not. Theyr'e making it a crime, but it's still no more and no less difficult to die. What do criminal charges matter to dead men? No one lacks the ability to die, no one needs another to do it for them.
(that's why our gov needs to step out, it;s unenforceable - and all that laws can do is lead to misery and shittier circumstance)
(December 13, 2016 at 11:09 pm)Rhythm Wrote: No, they're not. Theyr'e making it a crime, but it's still no more and no less difficult to die. What do criminal charges matter to dead men?

It doesn't. It matters to the living men who carry out the act. Medical professionals will lose their license and face criminal charges if they euthanize somebody, so they won't and that person won't be able to die as they see fit. That's how I mean.

EDIT

Quote:No one lacks the ability to die, no one needs another to do it for them.
(that's why our gov needs to step out, it;s unenforceable - and all that laws can do is lead to misery and shittier circumstance)

Plenty of people lack the physical ability to kill themselves. That's the whole debate around euthanasia...
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
Which is an unfortunate consequence of trying to legislate the un-legislateable.  They recognize they they have no play with the dead and those who wish to be, so they lean on the living. No one lacks the ability to end their life, just stop...you want to argue with someone else, not me, not my position. "They" might make it difficult to have someone -else- end your life, but "they" cannot stop you from doing so, no man can, the end.
While I agree with you in principle, Rhythm, in practice this doesn't flesh out.

A person in a vegetative state lacks the ability to end their own life. They can lay out EOL directives, but the state can and has stopped these from being carried out.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Traveling should be a human right Macoleco 16 1265 April 2, 2022 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  How do you punish people that want to die? ReptilianPeon 16 3949 July 5, 2015 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  The cosmological argument really needs to die already. Freedom of thought 16 4278 December 13, 2013 at 10:07 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  why shouldn't adults bully each other? dazzn 119 36048 June 5, 2013 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: Gilgamesh
  Right to die Welsh cake 49 16434 July 26, 2012 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Reforged
Lightbulb Help me I'm watching myself die in time/my life is going by as I blink my eyes. constantgamer247 45 14184 May 13, 2012 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance