Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Criminal Corporate Bastards
Criminal Corporate Bastards
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/14/sports...ss&emc=rss

Quote:N.F.L. Owners Pave Way for Chargers and Raiders to Move

Quote:IRVING, Tex. — N.F.L. owners on Wednesday showed signs of grudging support for allowing the San Diego Chargers to move to Los Angeles and the Oakland Raiders to leave for Las Vegas, with plans for stadiums in the teams’ current cities having all but vanished.

Quote:The owner Jim Irsay of the Indianapolis Colts said there was “no reason for optimism” that the Chargers and the Raiders would find a solution allowing them to stay put. In San Diego, Irsay said, “everything has been done that could be done” to get a new stadium.

"Everything" in this case meaning "everything except fucking paying for it themselves!"
RE: Criminal Corporate Bastards
That hypocritical piece of Shit moved the colts out of Baltimore, in the middle of the night, on Mayflower trucks. I still remember that. Loyal fans were devastated.

He should be the last person commenting on this.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Why?  I'm sure there is a gold statue of him in the Scumbags Hall of Fame.
Capitalism, though, right?

If there is another city that's willing to shell out for part of a stadium (especially because they get to use it, will almost certainly get to host multiple Super Bowls, and they come with a contract to keep the team in the city for 30+ years) why be mad when the market speaks?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Numerous studies have shown that municipalities get hosed by these sports criminal bastards every time.  They overstate the benefits and understate the costs and the taxpayers - who in many cases do not get to vote on this horseshit - are left holding the bag.

One point where we do agree.  In many ways, capitalism is indistinguishable from extortion.
Care to link to one of these studies?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
How's Stanford.

http://news.stanford.edu/2015/07/30/stad...ll-073015/
Good info.

I'll note:
Quote:“Cities have very little bargaining power with an NFL team. As long as there are cities without NFL teams that are willing to subsidize a stadium, cities will have to pay part of the cost of a new stadium,” he said.

Ultimately, Noll acknowledged, cities can decide whether to view these facilities as a form of “public consumption” rather than as financial investments.

Ultimately, none of this is criminal. When stadiums didn't cost that much, this worked well for both team and city. I mean, Orlando doesn't even have a pro team and the Citrus Bowl just got redone. As Noll talked about, all of the stadium proposals now are including a whole district with malls and outlets and whatnot. The market is changing. And two cities opted out. Isn't that a good thing?

I don't know how long term this guy is looking. Heinz Field in Pittsburgh is a perfect example of getting it done properly. They didn't go crazy, it is a decent facility, the team is guaranteed to stay in Pittsburgh until 2031, the university uses it, the high schools use it, it doubles as the city's convention center along with PNC park, and they host events out of it. Over 30 years, the commission stands to make a bunch of money.

Yeah they are corporate fucks looking to make more money. But the market is the market.

Well I have had the opportunity to observe closely the fiasco with the Arizona Coyotes and the city of Glendale which got hosed into building a new rink only to have them file bankruptcy and stick the taxpayers with the bill.

Then there were the Chicago Cubs who pulled a little extortion scam of their own for Spring Training on the city of Mesa.

http://lightsynergy.com/ind/city-of-mesa...-cry-foul/

I don't think extortion is the wrong word.
Well, as we know, bankruptcy laws suck donkey nuts.

Also, isn't all corporate negotiation extortion, by that measure? Leveraging your assets and worth?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Corporate America gang tagging everything. Brian37 31 3509 December 3, 2017 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: henryp
  NFL corporate blackmail. OP ED....... Brian37 5 1661 February 26, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist