Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inside Aleppo
Inside Aleppo
Why isn't this bigger news? Just because it isn't happening in our country and to "our" people, doesn't make it any less horrific and any less a big deal. All it takes is for us to look outside our own world even for a second to realize how small our problems are in the grand scheme of things. There are people out there suffering miseries that we cannot possibly fathom. 

Quote:These hundreds of thousands of online clips detail the destruction and death of a country, and yet its hellish descent continues. The coverage of a war can be one of the key factors that prompts world leaders to take political and military action to try and end it. In Syria, the cruel inverse seems to be the rule; the more we see of the violence and suffering the less resolve there seems to be to end the violence.

http://insidealeppo.com/
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: Inside Aleppo
It is terrible, but in my sphere, it is big news. It's at the top of the news. I don't really follow t.v. news, so I'm not sure what's going on with those losers.
When I look at social media and TV news, this seems like such a tiny insignificant thing compared to the attacks on Paris, for example. It's sad that these people's lives come off as somehow being less important in mainstream media.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I don't own a TV, but I hear about Aleppo on newsradio daily.

It is big news.

It's all that we hear on the bloody news.
It's on the news everywhere. Probably because Putin and Assad are doing it. Jemen pretty much vanished from making news as did Erdogan's little invading adventures to kill Kurds.

Truth is, there's a whole lotta shit going on on every side, and we just get the political opportunistic versions. As always, since I remember pretty well how the "galant" freedon fighters in Afghanistan fought the evil red empire back in the day. It's an excercise in cynicism because the civilians always were and still are on the receiving end. But everyone wants them to stay put and sheds a few crocodile tears over what happens to them. Just don't come to our shores, if you please. There's a good boy.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Syria mess was best prevented, not dealt with as it unfolded, as events subsequent have made all too clear to some, and yet remain totally mysterious and opaque to other leaders.

Obama just mentioned South Sudan, so if still feeling the need for another under reported shit storm and we're all tired of Syria at this point, we can move on to the next one.

meanwhile Haitian hurricane victims still languish . . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

somebody just keeled over at the presscon . . .

(not Obama, reporter)
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

We had best all come to the understanding that the Middle East was fucked up beyond repair when Bush took out Iraq.   Once the cork was out of the bottle there is no putting anything back in.

We sat on our asses and watched the "Arab Spring" turn into a nightmare in too many places because these people seem to think that "democracy" means that the majority can kill the minority whenever it likes.  Yes.  Right now the Syrian 'rebels' are catching holy hell and history tells us that such is usually the fate of rebels who lose.  But don't kid yourselves.  Had the rebels won then Assad would have fled to Russia and the rebels would now merrily be wiping out the Alawites who supported him.

I don't blame Obama for not getting involved in Syria for 3 reasons.  We had our own mess to clean up in Iraq.  We couldn't tell who the good guys were or even if there were any.  And finally, the country was not behind him for more foreign interventions.
It is big news if you look in the right places. It's not just Aleppo. The whole country has been a mountain of misery since the war began.

And you can blame the American media for lack of coverage, but the fault really lies on the people. The media just reports what gets them the most views and clicks. The average American doesn't have an attention span long enough to follow the conflict and is more interested in what some celebrity posted on Facebook or some stupid viral video like Chewbacca mom.

Also, Duterte's drug war in the Philippines should be bigger news. The man just admitted to killing people himself when he was a mayor.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell