Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Loaded Question for Christians
A Loaded Question for Christians
Here is a hypothetical moral dilemma :

A man has been sentenced to twenty years in prison for an armed robbery. The victim was severely beaten. After one year in prison this man starts attending church. He "gets saved" and professes his salvation by Jesus to others.

You are a Christian and now are the U.S. President. Do you grant this man a Presidential Pardon?

Why or why not?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: A Loaded Question for Christians
I don't get what the dilemma here is...
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Of course not. Actions have consequences in our world. It doesn't matter what religion you are. Plus, there's no way of knowing that he won't do it again.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(December 17, 2016 at 12:23 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Of course not. Actions have consequences in our world. It doesn't matter what religion you are. Plus, there's no way of knowing that he won't do it again.

Didn't Jesus forgive a whore?
(December 17, 2016 at 12:29 am)pool the great Wrote:
(December 17, 2016 at 12:23 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Of course not. Actions have consequences in our world. It doesn't matter what religion you are. Plus, there's no way of knowing that he won't do it again.

Didn't Jesus forgive a whore?
prostitution is not a crime... well with some backward high nosed moralists it is, but in reality, most prostitutes are actually the victims. There should be no comparison whatsoever to an actual criminal
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Not so much a moral dilemma as a compitence test.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
You can forgive someone, that doesn't take away the consequences of their actions.

Ape, I doubt anyone is going to answer yes to this.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I hope not. That's not how that works.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(December 17, 2016 at 12:41 am)Aoi Magi Wrote:
(December 17, 2016 at 12:29 am)pool the great Wrote: Didn't Jesus forgive a whore?
prostitution is not a crime... well with some backward high nosed moralists it is, but in reality, most prostitutes are actually the victims. There should be no comparison whatsoever to an actual criminal

There's a story in Bible where Jesus saves a whore from being stoned to death. I heard about it in Sunday class. She apparently goes on to become some big deal. Jesus believed in forgiving people's Sins if they had genuine remorse for their sins and really wanted to be better.

OP describes such a person, someone that has genuine remorse for his bad deeds and wants to live his life as good as possible, ie, someone that's found Jesus, I was questioning CL's apparent lack of empathy for that person by comparing what Jesus would've done in that kind of situation.
(December 17, 2016 at 1:02 am)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: I hope not. That's not how that works.

never underestimate human intelligence(or lack of it)
- Lau Tzu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7585 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hypothetical Question for Christians (involving aliens) Tiberius 26 3285 June 7, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question I have for Christians. Quick 45 6929 May 12, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  A single question for Christians Foxaèr 30 6315 October 6, 2017 at 9:00 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Question for Christians regarding elimination of Sin ErGingerbreadMandude 11 2747 January 29, 2017 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  Question to Christians purplepurpose 72 8429 July 7, 2016 at 12:40 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 30510 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Hypothetical Question for the Christians Cecelia 7 1566 January 18, 2016 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Question to Christians Shining_Finger 29 6696 November 6, 2015 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Christians i have a question dyresand 36 6745 October 26, 2015 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist