Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you still grieving? You are not alone.
Are you still grieving? You are not alone.
I fully expect a few of the less sensitive members on this forum to troll me here, but I'm not in any mood to be called snowflake, pansy, or be told to grow up and put on my big boy pants (or other like insults), so I won't be responding to any comments like that.  I know I can't stop you from posting, just know I'll not be responding to any cruel trolling.

This thread is to help people who need to heal, for people who are suffering from legitimate grief since the election.  Like me.  I'd like to share with anyone here going through anything similar.  

Still grieving Trump? You are not alone

So almost every morning since the election I wake up feeling so strange.  Depressed, angry, more depressed, anxious, etc. Yes it's getting a bit better, but coming up on the electoral college vote the stress is starting to make it worse again.  I am having actual nightmares, and even when not election themed, my sleep has been much more disturbed, and my waking hours I feel constantly distracted and tired.  I cry over literally nothing.  In the shower, while playing video games, while driving to the store. My thoughts wander in mid sentence, I keep catching myself just staring off into space. 

The first few days after the election I thought it WAS normal, and that it would pass.  But it isn't passing!  I'm angrier than I've been in...well, maybe ever.  But that's only when I have the energy to even be angry. 

I'm trying to identify exactly why I feel this grief so deeply. I honestly feel if it had been Romney, or Jeb Bush, I would have been pissed and snippy for a few days, then moved on.  
This is like someone died.  I feel very real emotional pain,and it's not stopping, because I'm constantly reminded of the cause.  Can't look at FB, this site, or any news anywhere without a reminder that is akin to a punch in the face.

It feels so extreme.  I've tried to identify what my grief and anger is centered around, but it isn't just one thing.  So here a few things I have been feeling, rational or not.  I need to get them off my chest.

I honestly feel like Hillary lost because she's a woman.  Yeah, I know ALL of the problems that faced her, I've seen them listed over and over.  But Trump was just as bad or far worse in every category.  Why are people upset that she's on the side of wallstreet, but ignore the oh so obvious fact that Trump will be as bad or worse?
(I also hear hillary lost her shit on election night, all as an aside with sniggers included from the person telling it.  And you know, even if true, I just feel so bad for her!  Losing to that monster, the fact that she has returned to the public eye at ALL says something about her fortitude.  I still catch myself trying out how it would have felt to see her smiling face on the news each day instead of that orange sphincter, and that makes me sad too.  What might have been.  

I feel betrayed by my own country.  I thought people were better than this, better than him!  I felt we were moving away from his kind of thinking.  Yes, I know these people still exist, I guess I just didn't realize they compromised between 25 and 50% of everyone.

I am angry at people who fell for (and continue to fall for) fake news.  I'm angry that people are so selfish and so easily fooled by a con man.

My husband has told me in the past that he thinks I'm an optimist.  I feel there is "good" in everyone, and I try to look for it.  I forgive easily, and empathize constantly.  So now I'm angry at my own naitivity.  To think that people really wanted to be part of humanity as a whole, to love others as they are.  A world without borders, governments, religions, etc.  I know we are still so far away, but I felt a bit hopeful that we were moving in the right direction!  Now it seems John Lennons Imagine was just violently murdered by a mob screaming "Trump that Bitch" and thrown in the gutter.  And yes, I see the irony of me not accepting everyone here, which is perhaps part of my frustration and anger.

I spent a brief amount of time taking the advice of trying to talk to Trump voters to find that common ground, to understand and hopefully move forward.  But the immediate response in every case has been condescending name calling.  I'm a SJW, or a libtard, or an insane leftist that is bullying people, etc.  I stopped trying to talk to them.  They are full of glorified righteous anger, and my pathetic grief cannot withstand it.

I catch myself looking at people's cars, their faces, their clothes, and wondering, did they vote for Trump?  I've NEVER done this kind of thing before!  I don't judge people based on who they voted for, that's stupid!  Or it was; now, I am torn.

I tried to get involved in some activism, and although it made me feel really energized at first, that didn't last. First, it was the postcard campaign against Bannon, and signing petitions.  I have even made more than one donation to groups I've never donated to before, such as Planned parenthood and the ACCLU. But then a few days later, I start feeling that none of my activism will make a difference, so I'm right back to depression.  I mean, nothing is stopping the White house filling with science deniers, creationists, bigots of the very worst stripe, and completely unqualified 1%ers with literally 0 experience at what they are now in charge of.

Well, I'm really opening myself up to hurt here, but I'm hoping that in doing so I can find a way to start healing.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
RE: Are you still grieving? You are not alone.
I'm still grieving about Trump being president and I live in the UK. Undecided

The only bright side I can think about this is the more disasters like this happen the more I become even more cynical about the public and less likely to be disappointed and less deceived by my fellow humans in general.

I guess at least cynicism is often wise and shitstorms like this increases it.

I guess the only other positive thing I can think of is as much as Trump will fuck things up and be fucking shit at least it's not permanent and America can hardly do worse for their next president.

I think the best possible result is that Trump is terrible enough that the American people never ever ever choose to vote anyone even remotely like Trump in again.

...that's if lessons as big as that can be learned by the majority of the public in any country ever.

I think that the next 4 years is going to be a big episode of Who Not To Vote For.
Amidst all these awful goings on, the mental image of Hillary exploding as the results came in is what keeps me going.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(December 18, 2016 at 5:02 am)Aroura Wrote: I fully expect a few of the less sensitive members on this forum to troll me here, but I'm not in any mood to be called snowflake, pansy, or be told to grow up and put on my big boy pants (or other like insults), so I won't be responding to any comments like that.  I know I can't stop you from posting, just know I'll not be responding to any cruel trolling.

This thread is to help people who need to heal, for people who are suffering from legitimate grief since the election.  Like me.  I'd like to share with anyone here going through anything similar.  

So almost every morning since the election I wake up feeling so strange.  Depressed, angry, more depressed, anxious, etc. Yes it's getting a bit better, but coming up on the electoral college vote the stress is starting to make it worse again.  I am having actual nightmares, and even when not election themed, my sleep has been much more disturbed, and my waking hours I feel constantly distracted and tired.  I cry over literally nothing.  In the shower, while playing video games, while driving to the store. My thoughts wander in mid sentence, I keep catching myself just staring off into space. 

The first few days after the election I thought it WAS normal, and that it would pass.  But it isn't passing!  I'm angrier than I've been in...well, maybe ever.  But that's only when I have the energy to even be angry. 

I'm trying to identify exactly why I feel this grief so deeply. I honestly feel if it had been Romney, or Jeb Bush, I would have been pissed and snippy for a few days, then moved on.  
This is like someone died.  I feel very real emotional pain,and it's not stopping, because I'm constantly reminded of the cause.  Can't look at FB, this site, or any news anywhere without a reminder that is akin to a punch in the face.

It feels so extreme.  I've tried to identify what my grief and anger is centered around, but it isn't just one thing.  So here a few things I have been feeling, rational or not.  I need to get them off my chest.

I honestly feel like Hillary lost because she's a woman.  Yeah, I know ALL of the problems that faced her, I've seen them listed over and over.  But Trump was just as bad or far worse in every category.  Why are people upset that she's on the side of wallstreet, but ignore the oh so obvious fact that Trump will be as bad or worse?
(I also hear hillary lost her shit on election night, all as an aside with sniggers included from the person telling it.  And you know, even if true, I just feel so bad for her!  Losing to that monster, the fact that she has returned to the public eye at ALL says something about her fortitude.  I still catch myself trying out how it would have felt to see her smiling face on the news each day instead of that orange sphincter, and that makes me sad too.  What might have been.  

I feel betrayed by my own country.  I thought people were better than this, better than him!  I felt we were moving away from his kind of thinking.  Yes, I know these people still exist, I guess I just didn't realize they compromised between 25 and 50% of everyone.

I am angry at people who fell for (and continue to fall for) fake news.  I'm angry that people are so selfish and so easily fooled by a con man.

My husband has told me in the past that he thinks I'm an optimist.  I feel there is "good" in everyone, and I try to look for it.  I forgive easily, and empathize constantly.  So now I'm angry at my own naitivity.  To think that people really wanted to be part of humanity as a whole, to love others as they are.  A world without borders, governments, religions, etc.  I know we are still so far away, but I felt a bit hopeful that we were moving in the right direction!  Now it seems John Lennons Imagine was just violently murdered by a mob screaming "Trump that Bitch" and thrown in the gutter.  And yes, I see the irony of me not accepting everyone here, which is perhaps part of my frustration and anger.

I spent a brief amount of time taking the advice of trying to talk to Trump voters to find that common ground, to understand and hopefully move forward.  But the immediate response in every case has been condescending name calling.  I'm a SJW, or a libtard, or an insane leftist that is bullying people, etc.  I stopped trying to talk to them.  They are full of glorified righteous anger, and my pathetic grief cannot withstand it.

I catch myself looking at people's cars, their faces, their clothes, and wondering, did they vote for Trump?  I've NEVER done this kind of thing before!  I don't judge people based on who they voted for, that's stupid!  Or it was; now, I am torn.

I tried to get involved in some activism, and although it made me feel really energized at first, that didn't last. First, it was the postcard campaign against Bannon, and signing petitions.  I have even made more than one donation to groups I've never donated to before, such as Planned parenthood and the ACCLU. But then a few days later, I start feeling that none of my activism will make a difference, so I'm right back to depression.  I mean, nothing is stopping the White house filling with science deniers, creationists, bigots of the very worst stripe, and completely unqualified 1%ers with literally 0 experience at what they are now in charge of.

Well, I'm really opening myself up to hurt here, but I'm hoping that in doing so I can find a way to start healing.

I'm not even American I feel the same way the world feels off somehow like something is now what it should not be. I find it hard to describe with crude words. But the anger the fury coursing through every inch of my body every time I see that scumbag or any of his followers I could cut it with knife. I can't even stand to talk to or be near people who i once called friends who voted or support trump it makes me ill. Don't get me wrong Hilary had her issues but nothing that felt like trump. Hell Bush or Romney didn't make me feel that way either i didn't like them but i didn't feel an unbridled all consuming hatred at there possession of a pulse the way i do with trump. I know it's neither entirely rational nor necessary right . All i know is i despise him and always will and any who side with him.

(December 18, 2016 at 5:36 am)Orochi Wrote:
(December 18, 2016 at 5:02 am)Aroura Wrote: I fully expect a few of the less sensitive members on this forum to troll me here, but I'm not in any mood to be called snowflake, pansy, or be told to grow up and put on my big boy pants (or other like insults), so I won't be responding to any comments like that.  I know I can't stop you from posting, just know I'll not be responding to any cruel trolling.

I'm not even American I feel the same way the world feels off somehow like something is now what it should not be. I find it hard to describe with crude words. But the anger the fury coursing through every inch of my body every time I see that scumbag or any of his followers I could cut it with knife. I can't even stand to talk to or be near people who i once called friends who voted or support trump it makes me ill. Don't get me wrong Hilary had her issues but nothing that felt like trump. Hell Bush or Romney didn't make me feel that way either i didn't like them but i didn't feel an unbridled all consuming hatred at there possession of a pulse the way i do with trump. I know it's neither entirely rational nor necessary right . All i know is i despise him and always will and any who side with him.

As for people who will troll fuck em this isn't for them
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Sensible people the world over all of them had too much faith in the judgement of the American people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyEXshBOwEU

The thing is I always thought it could happen. I have no faith in much of the American electorate
They seem to be highly motivated idiots.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Truly sorry for what you're feeling, Aroura, but I can't feel the same way. 'Grief' isn't really an accurate description of the way I feel about a world where someone like Trump has the power of the US presidency. Concern, alarm, bewilderment...all of these come closer to the mark.

Not trolling you, and I hope you find a way to cope with this. Be well.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Rule by the most wretched is the way of us. We are a low and hopeless species.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
From what I've been hearing a lot of people who supported Trump had to pretend to support Hillary because of the backlash. Maybe that's why this election came as a surprise to you, lots of people are simply scared to speak their minds because they don't want to be politically incorrect.

In my humble opinion, the whole notion of political correctedness screams, "shut up. You're wrong, we're right and if you don't accept this, we'll ruin you.", ie, a form of silencing. Unless and until people become understanding and are willing to explain their stance in a purely adult manner without screaming "you fucking white male", this trend will continue.

You can't silence people in the voting booths..
(December 18, 2016 at 7:29 am)pool the great Wrote: You can't silence people in the voting booths..

But I guess these people are in for a not too pleasant surprise, given Trump's staff selection. There's virtually nothing and noone that says he will be true to the promises he made to the disenfranchised. Pure establishment and right wing fringe madness.

Well, stupid is as stupid does, as Forrest Gump used to say. If you buy from a snake oil vendor, you get what you bargained for. And it's not as if something like that is coming totally unexpected.

That's also the reason why I'm not grieving. I'm a bit concerned over what damage this presidency is able to leave in it's wake, since it stands for even more deregulation, which gave us 2008 in the first place. But otherwise it's not the end of the world, since the posterheads he selected so far stand for lining the pockets of the filthy rich. In short, establishment business as usual.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
There are people who would've felt the exact same as you had Hillary won. They would've thought every thought you outlined in the OP, only with Trump and Hillary reversed.

I would invite you to believe that Trump isn't as bad as you think he is, nore are his voters. As well I would invite you to believe that the reason you think he's so awful is because you buy into hysteria and bias in media. Anyway, that someone prefers Trump over Hillary doesn't necessitate that they think he's great; only that he's the lesser evil. Remember that when you think to judge.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anti-immigration..does Right wing still fools masses? WinterHold 106 4759 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Who Still Thinks Joe Biden Will Be The Nomine? ReptilianPeon 90 6547 March 11, 2020 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  And TheTrumptard Will Still Not Care.... Minimalist 8 1062 August 1, 2018 at 6:58 am
Last Post: Aroura
  Evidently, we're still living in 1974... Rev. Rye 25 4285 June 4, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  We may have different points of view but can we still be friends? GODZILLA 26 3702 May 30, 2018 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  You Were Stupid. Will You Still Be Stupid in 2020? Minimalist 39 5096 May 15, 2018 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Why Are We Still In Afghanistan? Minimalist 12 3802 June 19, 2017 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  The WLB Still Can't Count. Minimalist 1 458 April 30, 2017 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Deplorable's are still angry NuclearEnergy 104 12059 March 4, 2017 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: Aroura
  I still call "Arnhem Land" home! ignoramus 7 1253 January 24, 2017 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: ignoramus