Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 9:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Carolina's "bathroom bill"
North Carolina's "bathroom bill"
There's an old thread on this, but it's been several months since the last post on it. 

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — In a stunning development, the North Carolina law widely derided as the "bathroom bill" appeared to be on its way out after it tarnished the state's reputation, cost it scores of jobs and contributed to the Republican governor's narrow loss.

Democratic Gov.-elect Roy Cooper announced Monday that legislators will hold a special session to repeal the law known as HB2 that limits protections for LGBT people. Undoing the law would be a step toward mending political divisions that remain raw well after Election Day. Just last week, lawmakers called a special session to strip Cooper of some of his authority before he takes office next month.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/incoming-gove...23561.html
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
RE: North Carolina's "bathroom bill"
We'll see how well that works. The North Carolina GOP seems to be throwing a veritable hissy-fit since they lost the governor's office, and I wouldn't be surprised if they try to take measures to prevent this.

Quote:North Carolina Republican Gov. Pat McCrory signed a bill Friday that strips away power from his Democratic successor, Roy Cooper, before Cooper takes office in January.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/15/politics/n...ower-grab/
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Utterly disgusting, I hope this stupidly law gets canned ASAP. What utter ignorance and pure bigotry.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I'm happy this stupid unenforceable law is going down
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  North & South Korea conflict neil 13 732 January 16, 2024 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  House Bill 6720 Jehanne 19 2561 December 16, 2022 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  I Think Bill Maher Lied CarveTheFive 23 1344 May 17, 2021 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Arkansas abortion bill, Roe vs. Wade brewer 23 1232 March 17, 2021 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Harriett Tubman will replace Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill Fake Messiah 141 6247 January 27, 2021 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  North Korea executed envoy for the failed summit with Trump. Anomalocaris 26 2132 June 2, 2019 at 10:18 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  North Carolina orders new election. Brian37 4 569 February 22, 2019 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  North By North Numbnuts, accomplishment. Brian37 7 1750 December 20, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Clinton campaign declined Bill Maher's help cause he's an atheist. CapnAwesome 21 1558 September 21, 2018 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Bill Daily dead at 91 Foxaèr 1 348 September 10, 2018 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: vorlon13