Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"God doesn't Exist"- Claim or Conclusion
"God doesn't Exist"- Claim or Conclusion
A little while ago I was debating about the term "God doesn't exist" and someone said that one says it because it's easier, instead of saying something completely unneeded like, "Due to complete lack of evidence, a god concept should be thought of as highly improbable and therefore should be exist. That got me thinking. Would the "claim" "God doesn't exist" be thought of as more of a conclusion that God doesn't exist, i.e. "Due to lack of evidence, one can safely conclude that a theistic God shouldn't exist," which would be shortened to, "God doesn't exist"? Thanks in advance.
RE: "God doesn't Exist"- Claim or Conclusion
There is no evidence at all for any of the bullshit gods humanity has invented throughout our period as sentient beings on this earth.

Call it what you will.  But fucking jesus is no more real than Q'uq'umatz of the Maya.

Should anyone produce evidence I will evaluate it and, if found valid, re-consider my position.  But right now, the matter is closed.  God is a waste of fucking time.
Fantasies exist, but only in the mind. god is a man made fantasy delusion.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(December 20, 2016 at 6:41 pm)RiddledWithFear Wrote: A little while ago I was debating about the term "God doesn't exist" and someone said that one says it because it's easier, instead of saying something completely unneeded like, "Due to complete lack of evidence, a god concept should be thought of as highly improbable and therefore should be exist. That got me thinking. Would the "claim" "God doesn't exist" be thought of as more of a conclusion that God doesn't exist, i.e. "Due to lack of evidence, one can safely conclude that a theistic God shouldn't exist," which would be shortened to, "God doesn't exist"? Thanks in advance.

I'd say: " I have no reason to think that any gods exist".
There are no atheists in terrorist training camps.

I do not claim to know, with absolute certainty, that a god does not exist.

But the only place that my lack of absolute certainty resides is:

I do not believe that we can be absolutely certainty about anything, except maybe esoteric concepts, like: I am certain that I exist, or I am certain that I am not omniscient.

But my certainty with regards to a generic deistic god is pretty close to certainty. Even closer with regards to man made gods (Zeus, Allah, Yahweh, Shiva, Et Al).

But when it comes to debate, the claim that gods do not exist, does not have to be defended, so I really don't worry about it. All that has to be defended is the fact that the case for the existence of gods has never met its burden of proof.

It's not my fault that theists, have lowered the basketball hoop to 8', then brag about how well they can dunk.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
1: That God(s) exist is true.
2: Proposition 1 is not true.

Someone who considers proposition 1 true is a theist.
What do you call someone who considers proposition 2 true?
(December 20, 2016 at 8:52 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: 1: That God(s) exist is true.

How about:

Proposition 1 has not met its burden of proof. So, I do not know if it is untrue, but I have no reasons to believe that it is true.

Just because I have not been convinced of proposition 1, does not mean that my default position becomes the counter positive.

Seems you are setting up a scenario where both horns of a dilemma are being addressed simultaneously.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Well, I'd say that "Gods such as Yahweh and Allah don't exist" is a (probabilistic) conclusion I'm happy to make. It's based on the vast number of assumptions that would have to be made to allow for such things to be possible, the highly specific and suspiciously human-like nature of the claimed beings, and the total lack of credible evidence for their existence.

To me, the phrase "Gods don't exist" in general doesn't mean anything, since "God" doesn't mean anything. It needs clarification in all cases. If God simply means "intelligent creator", then they may well exist, because we create virtual realities all the time which have the potential to manifest somehow.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 20, 2016 at 8:52 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: 1: That God(s) exist is true.

I consider someone who considers Proposition 1 gullible.

Proposition 2 a skeptic.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

"God doesn't exist" isn't a claim.

"God exists" is a claim.

You need evidence to back up a claim; saying something doesn't exist is because of a lack of evidence supporting it.

The burden of proof rests with those who make the claim (theists), not the other way around.
Subscribe to Atheist News! Also, check out my latest video- Mass Effect Takes On Religion

https://www.youtube.com/c/AtheistNews

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debunking the claim that Ramanujan received insights from a god Sicnoo0 20 1451 July 12, 2023 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1005 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Why God doesn't stop satan? purplepurpose 225 14524 June 28, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1961 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 5757 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5181 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 6180 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Not religious doesn't necessarily mean atheist John V 99 17524 November 8, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 7022 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 38745 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet