Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How The Ever-Loving FUCK!
How The Ever-Loving FUCK!
Rolling 'The Magazine That Can Fully And Finally Kiss Me Bony White Irish Bum' Stone has done it again - it is almost as if they create these lists for the express purpose of pissing me off.

100 Greatest Drummers Of All Time

They put Buddy Rich at #15.  Seriously?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: How The Ever-Loving FUCK!
Saw Buddy Rich in '79. He apologized straight off for planning a short set. He had just had triple by pass surgery a few days before. He opened his shirt to show us the sternal stitches. Then he basically did a ripping 45 minute solo with the band trying to get a few chords in here and there. Amazing drummer. Growing up in the '60s I played this record my folks had a thousand times. The Drum Battle between Krupa and Buddy Rich.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

And Krupa called Rich 'the greatest drummer to ever draw breath. '

'15th' me bollocks.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Here's my favorite drummer in action:

[Image: giphy.gif]
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Long flashy drum solos do absolutely nothing for me musically. Being an extreme metal fan, my favorite drummer from that genre is Duplantier from Gojira

The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Yeah I'm not into the showy stuff either. It's all about the feeling.
It's just a case of "knowing your audience."
To quote the introduction to the very list
Quote:One important caveat: we used rock and pop as our rubric, so a drummer's work needed to directly impact that world (as we define it, of course) to make the list. This meant leaving out dozens of essential jazz artists such as Max Roach and Roy Haynes, whose innovations inspired many of the players you'll read about below. That list is its own monument we hope to build someday soon. For now, let the arguments start. If you want to throw a cymbal at us, please do so in the comments section.

So, of course Jazz drummers are less likely to be featured, and probably at disproportionately low spots. (Though at least Gene Krupa is in the top 10).

Case in point, while I haven't found a Top 100 Keyboardists list by RS, I have found a few, and one name that consistently fails to appear on it is Art Tatum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Cs_zb4q14

Fats Waller once introduced him by saying "I just play the piano, but God is in the House tonight!" He's the sort of pianist so skilled that if an urban legend says he learned to play by figuring out piano rolls of tunes meant to be played by two people, nobody questions it. Musicians of all stripes praised him in life. And yet, insanely, of the few lists of the greatest keyboardists I perused, few mention him.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Oh, their lists are always ridiculous.
I'd never assert he was any good at all as a drummer, but damn, this one is easy on the eyes:

[Image: d9fa87b41fe8bfc1c82c671f528c1c4e.jpg]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Loving the New Lost in Space AFTT47 3 384 June 17, 2018 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Playing God: The Loving Psychopath Erinome 14 7099 February 10, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Da Fuck, Bob!? BrianSoddingBoru4 25 2349 November 19, 2016 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  FUCK YEAH!!!!! Something completely different 0 1343 January 8, 2013 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Something completely different