Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist "nativity" at California State Capitol
Atheist "nativity" at California State Capitol
Some religious whacknuts from Illinois were allowed to put up a nativity at the California State Capitol. So some locals from Freedom From Religion foundation also set up a display at the Capitol with 3 founding fathers and the Statue of Liberty over the Bill of Rights in a manger.
My daughter and I trekked to the Capitol downtown today to have a look.

[Image: 20161226_133104.jpg]
RE: Atheist "nativity" at California State Capitol
I love it. Plus, I'm fairly sure that Thos. Jefferson could take out Joseph in a fist fight.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The jesus freaks will be shrieking bloody murder.
(December 26, 2016 at 8:00 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The jesus freaks will be shrieking bloody murder.

Yes, I was expecting more hubbub when we saw it. I was ready to pick up a sign and shout slogans. But there was nothing more than some curious tourists watching me take photos of my daughter.
The entire point of the first amendment is protecting unpopular viewpoints. Popular ones do not need protecting.

Even Justice Scalia was able to noodle this out.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I wish Sac didn't get so hot in late summer. I liked living up there and having the Capitol just down RT Line #30. Very cool that people, especially atheists, are using the space to exercise freedom of speech.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(December 26, 2016 at 8:04 pm)Tres Leches Wrote:
(December 26, 2016 at 8:00 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The jesus freaks will be shrieking bloody murder.

Yes, I was expecting more hubbub when we saw it. I was ready to pick up a sign and shout slogans. But there was nothing more than some curious tourists watching me take photos of my daughter.

Imagine it in Alabama.
Brace Yourself, the War On Christmas comments are coming. XD
[Image: 6QOh5df.jpg]
Maybe the "Freedom" from religion folks should express their lack of belief with a lack of involvement.
Oh the Irony...

Atheists are quick to point out the Bible is evil because in their mind it condones slavery and genocide, yet are totally ok with celebrating genocidal slave owners themselves...

Clap

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arizona State Suspends Lawrence Krauss Over Sexual Misconduct Accusations Alexmahone 30 10510 March 11, 2018 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Jehanne
Exclamation new "Cult of 'Non-Beliefism' " aka (the state of being "unlocked") ProgrammingGodJordan 142 14616 January 2, 2017 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Nativity Scene in my town department building Doggey75 16 5017 December 26, 2014 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  State atheism Astronaut17 22 8038 May 8, 2013 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: Raven
  In a deep state of shock Opsnyder 14 4632 June 28, 2012 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists "Hijack" Nativity Display thesummerqueen 34 6527 December 18, 2011 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Nativity scene in my house! Thor 27 9420 December 23, 2010 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: Thor
  Marijuana legal in WA state? binny 9 4012 December 31, 2009 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Meatball