Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oasis Networks- what do you think of them?
Oasis Networks- what do you think of them?
Being Atheist doesn't mean anti-social. Some people really like the sense of community that a shared religion can give them. When doing my Atheist News show this week, I came upon Oasis Network- kind of a secular gathering on Sundays, similar to church.

They have five core principles:

People are more important than beliefs.

Reality is known through reason.

Meaning comes from making a difference.

Human hands solve human problems.

Be accepting and be accepted.

They have nine locations (five are in Utah), and encourage people to start ones in their area. What do you think? Would you attend something like this?

http://www.peoplearemoreimportant.org/
Subscribe to Atheist News! Also, check out my latest video- Mass Effect Takes On Religion

https://www.youtube.com/c/AtheistNews
RE: Oasis Networks- what do you think of them?
(December 31, 2016 at 9:07 am)Casca Wrote: Being Atheist doesn't mean anti-social. Some people really like the sense of community that a shared religion can give them. When doing my Atheist News show this week, I came upon Oasis Network- kind of a secular gathering on Sundays, similar to church.

They have five core principles:

People are more important than beliefs.

That is ok.

Quote:Reality is known through reason.

Not really.
Reason can only give you an understanding of what is right but in order to make that sense of right yours and you become that reality you got to struggle a lot and that is not achievable by just knowing what is right.

Quote:Meaning comes from making a difference.

Everything move and change in this universe therefore it is obvious that with a positive change we can improve.
At the same time we can also make a difference in the negative so that sentence means very little.

Quote:Human hands solve human problems.

Yes and not.
Human hand can only solve material-physical problems.
As far as the main problem that human aim to definitively NOT.
Peace of mind and total happiness is something that is outside human hands.

Quote:Be accepting and be accepted.

It really depend what is offered to me.
If somebody offer me the magic pipe I will not accept.  Smile
They sound like fairly good principles to me, although I would hope they don't become dogmatic. I'm not sure if this would appeal to me personally. I'd certainly give it a try if I was close enough.

I see this kind of thing being most useful to people coming out of religion, who may miss the regular gatherings.

I'm all in favour of more secular gatherings in general.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Sounds like the Unitarian Universalists church I used to go to. It was fine.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 5339 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think God is authoritarian? ShinyCrystals 65 3029 December 9, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 984 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  What do you think of LGBTQ2? SlimePumper 58 7022 February 18, 2019 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Agnostico
  Who do you think is best atheist of our times? GGG 70 7330 January 22, 2019 at 10:19 am
Last Post: GGG
  Lock Them Up! Lock Them Up!! Minimalist 7 1250 October 27, 2018 at 9:19 am
Last Post: brewer
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 38769 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet
  Near death experiences are not biblical and the bible itself debunks them (Proof) LetThereBeNoGod 0 1135 February 16, 2017 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod
  I fear hell, and this article made things worse for me. What do you guys think? arda101 26 4688 February 5, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Autolite
  Religion should be encouraged if it has positive effects on people.What do you think? ErGingerbreadMandude 31 5498 December 27, 2016 at 2:07 am
Last Post: energizer bunny