Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think Epistle of James was written by "James Brother of Jesus"
Do you think Epistle of James was written by "James Brother of Jesus"
Historically by Josephus it was that guy who sorta made Christianity more known in Jerusalem. According to that historian he died in 62 AD, but according to Christian traditions he died in 69 AD.

Epistle of James has 5 chapters. I read on wikipedia that it seems likely that it could be written by him because of romans making much more chaos in that region but that it has been edited, because in one part is 12 tribes scattered and take care of the poor and the widow, dont be like this world. So some think it has some significance to that James the leader of Jerusalem Church or Christianity or something.

The only thing that is in question is how much is edited or kept in. Since the earliest they have is one in Syria from late 1st or 2nd century of it. So the idea is someone most likely wrote it there since the ellegant greek was used.

Although i wont argue whether this is James or not. Its more that other christian directions happend, gnosticism is one popular one or jewish christians, lots of stuff happend and i bet romans burned their stuff so its hard to find history when its written by the victors as napoleon said.
RE: Do you think Epistle of James was written by "James Brother of Jesus"
it is irrelevant who actually penned it:

2 Timothy 3:16

“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:”
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I don't think Jesus existed so how could he have a brother/
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

maybe James was Jesus older brother.

Rolleyes
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(December 31, 2016 at 11:39 am)chimp3 Wrote: I don't think Jesus existed so how could he have a brother/

You have to talk with Bart Ehrman then Tongue.

In my view it doesn't matter so much whether he did or not.
Quote: maybe James was Jesus older brother.
There has actually been a theory that hadnt John the baptist been killed in prison then he may have been the new messiah instead of Jesus because he had many followers apparently, even Josephus mentions his death in jail. Whether it is true or not. Although Jesusneverexistd YouTube channel seems to believe that John the baptist being killed in prison as authentic, and he is a christ myth theorist from what i get.
(December 31, 2016 at 12:05 pm)Rolandson Wrote:
(December 31, 2016 at 11:39 am)chimp3 Wrote: I don't think Jesus existed so how could he have a brother/

You have to talk with Bart Ehrman then Tongue.

In my view it doesn't matter so much whether he did or not.

It would answer your question proposed in the title of this thread.

"Do you think Epistle of James was written by "James Brother of Jesus".
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Apostle Paul hijacked the Jesus and subverted it all into his own new religion, so the entire edifice of Christianity today is a demonstrably false religion, as attested to by it's own 'scriptures'.

I don't even know that there was a Jesus, but it seems highly unlikely that any account we have is contemporary
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

https://readingacts.com/2014/02/11/james...onymity-2/

Quote:The Letter of James is often described as pseudonymous, meaning that the letter is attributed to James but not actually written by him.  In fact, this is an issue for several of the books of the New Testament: The Pastoral Epistles, Ephesians, Colossians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 and 2 Peter, and Jude have all been described as pseudonymous.  It is important therefore to think a bit about the practice of pseudonymity in the ancient world, especially as it relates to the authority of the text.

Pseudonymity is an exceeding polite word for "forgery."

Besides, the reference in Josephus Antiquities XX, Bk IX, is itself a later interpolation - probably accidental by an over-excited xtian scribe who saw the name "jesus" and the title "christos" in the same paragraph and wet his loincloth in misguided glee.  The paragraph is not about xtians but rather about an otherwise insignificant issue involving who would be the high priest under Herod Agrippa II.
Aren't the evangelists mmlj also pseudonyms?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think Catholics hate Charles Goodyear Woah0 7 1289 August 28, 2022 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Who Do You Think Is The Best Christian Of Our Times? BrianSoddingBoru4 14 1941 January 22, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Drich
  What do moderates think Jesus died for? Der/die AtheistIn 119 10812 January 16, 2019 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  Who the Bible was written for RobbyPants 22 2300 October 24, 2018 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Theists - I want to know what you think LadyForCamus 77 10203 May 14, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Elder James Hamula released, excommunicated from LDS Church c172 11 6646 August 10, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Did Shakespeare Contribute to the King James Bible? Rhondazvous 12 5587 June 25, 2017 at 6:09 am
Last Post: Brian37
  How You Know This Shit Was Written By Men! Minimalist 48 11051 January 4, 2017 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Christians, would you have saved Jesus, if you had he chance? Simon Moon 294 34265 July 2, 2016 at 11:23 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What do you think of William Lane Craig? Jehanne 196 25067 January 31, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0