Our server costs ~$33 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: 20th January 2017, 14:09

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Truth in a story which is entirely dependent upon subjective interpretation
Truth in a story which is entirely dependent upon subjective interpretation
I seriously don't get this. To make the claim that there is any truth, let alone the 'only', and absolute, undisputed truth, and yet having thousands of denominations disagreeing on every possible opinion (and justifiably so since it contradicts itself so much), how do people answer this? I've not seen a response on youtube and I don't know if a primarily atheist forum is a good place to get an answer, but I'd sure like to know. I mean, that's just the tip of the iceberg really. What passages are metaphorical and which literal? And how would one tell the difference? It seems like an impossible mess. Is this just another situation where it's ignored or some really bottom-of-the-barrel-scraping answer is all we get?
Raj: They’re going to sell out!
Howard: What are we going to do?
Sheldon: All right, this goes against everything I stand for but desperate times call for desperate measures. Lord, this is Sheldon Cooper. You’re good friends with my mom. I know I’ve spent my life denying that you exist…
Howard: Got ‘em!
Sheldon: And I will continue to do so! - The Big Bang Theory
RE: Truth in a story which is entirely dependent upon subjective interpretation
Don't get too deep in the mental gymnastics, it is not good for health at all.

That traditional answer would be though that it is intentionally vague as a test of faith...
[Image: 003.sig]
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

add me if you want to get annoyed by me personally Cool Shades

That's a new one, the bible being intentionally vague as a test. Says a lot about the character of god if that's the answer, doesn't it? But then if you know about the Tower of Babel, he's not particularly interested in us figuring out a real unified truth at all.
Sheldon: All right, this goes against everything I stand for but desperate times call for desperate measures. Lord, this is Sheldon Cooper. You’re good friends with my mom. I know I’ve spent my life denying that you exist…
(1st January 2017, 12:43)Astonished Wrote: I seriously don't get this. To make the claim that there is any truth, let alone the 'only', and absolute, undisputed truth, and yet having thousands of denominations disagreeing on every possible opinion (and justifiably so since it contradicts itself so much), how do people answer this? I've not seen a response on youtube and I don't know if a primarily atheist forum is a good place to get an answer, but I'd sure like to know. I mean, that's just the tip of the iceberg really. What passages are metaphorical and which literal? And how would one tell the difference? It seems like an impossible mess. Is this just another situation where it's ignored or some really bottom-of-the-barrel-scraping answer is all we get?

And in the Christian orbit, all Christian denominations, schisms, sects, and spinoffs are religions about Jesus. The religion of Jesus should be the brass ring, so to speak for which all those branches of Christianity should be aspiring to, yet none even acknowledge that simple goal as desirous in the least as furtherance of their service to the Lord.
If any email controversy impacted the election, it wasn't Russian hacking of the DNC and  John Podesta's email, it was Hillary Clinton's decision to have her own email server and the subsequent FBI investigation which raised all the same  questions  Hillary Clinton has justifiably faced for decades about her trustworthiness and honesty.

Quote:how do people answer this?

The say:  "I'm right and they are wrong."  Problem solved for the jesus freaks.

Sincerely have to wonder how someone can look at that mentality objectively and not see how that's a bad thing. Irrespective of the contents of the beliefs therein, that's just an extremely unhealthy way of thinking.
Xtians are hardly unique.

Sunni and Shi'a muslims joyously blow themselves up because of something that happened 1300 years ago.  I mean, give it up already.

(1st January 2017, 13:35)Minimalist Wrote: Xtians are hardly unique.

Sunni and Shi'a muslims joyously blow themselves up because of something that happened 1300 years ago.  I mean, give it up already.

You mean because of something someone claimed happened 1300 years ago. Tongue
As wacky as much of scripture is, it also contains safeguards to shield believers against anything remotely resembling reason. That safeguard is faith.

For we walk by faith not be sight. Once you get people to believe that faith is a virtue you will never run out of fools.

And once xtians put their faith in a charismatic preacher any scripture that agrees with what he says will be taken literally, while scripture that disagrees will be taken as metaphor. To think otherwise is to lose faith and risk hellfire.
Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
(1st January 2017, 13:39)Astonished Wrote:
(1st January 2017, 13:35)Minimalist Wrote: Xtians are hardly unique.

You mean because of something someone claimed happened 1300 years ago. Tongue

No, no.  There was a power struggle between two groups of scumbags each claiming to be the rightful caliph because of their holy horseshit.  Hardly matters now.  They are all dead and there is no caliph anymore.

That's why it seems stupid to kill each other over it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free interpretation of the Genesis 3:5 KJV theBorg 19 567 13th November 2016, 02:03
Last Post: RiddledWithFear
  Leaving christianity, a bit of my story Lucifer 87 2620 16th July 2016, 16:48
Last Post: Khemikal
  Why the whole Adam and Eve Fall story makes no sense 1994Californication 237 10593 3rd April 2016, 10:05
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  [extremely serious]The Truth Behind Christianity. Stephanie113 5 848 19th August 2015, 03:58
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Perfect, Best of Possible, or Better than Nothing: Which criterion? Hatshepsut 35 2733 19th May 2015, 06:12
Last Post: robvalue
  The story of Noah (in the Bible) is so infuriating... ReptilianPeon 100 7075 28th April 2015, 19:51
Last Post: Iroscato
  Finally! The definitive list of sexual positions which will sentence you to Hell! Jacob(smooth) 31 5674 19th February 2015, 17:50
Last Post: pocaracas
Thumbs Down A personal story... EccentricAlien 99 7490 16th February 2015, 15:53
Last Post: Minimalist
  'Drich, which of the millions of different christian denominations goes to Heaven?' Drich 208 16513 23rd January 2015, 12:42
Last Post: Spooky
  Challenge: Name Even 10 Beliefs in the Christian Delusion which are NOT Ridiculous Whateverist 33 3138 21st December 2014, 12:38
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus