Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the wlrds "Sin" and "Hell" a trigger to you Atheists?

Recently I read a Christian post stating that we consider these words to be "trigger words".
Aside from being dogmatically condescending, I'd have to say that personally, I agree with this person. The words and phrases sin and hell come hand in hand with other words 
that make my eyes twitch. Like molestation. Rape. Murder. Women belong in the kitchen. Women should be silent.  Women submit to your husbands. 

All of these words bear a negative connotation not in their meanings, but in their applications within my memories as a prior Christian. For instance my Dad, holding the bible in his hand bending his finger back painfully as he angrily pointed it onto the bible and told mom that god says she should submit to him and to "shut her fucking mouth", etc. Was he wrong? Not inherently although I highly doubt any Christian would rationalize such behavior. Hear no evil say no evil see no evil, right? Wrong. I saw. I heard. I'm speaking out, and yes it's a tad bit of a "trigger" to be reminded of the tenents that were the basis of the most fervent and distasteful memories in my mind.

If you talk about rape in front of a rape victim, and say "oh sorry I understand that the word 'rape' is a trigger word for you, but it's real and just part of life so you must accept it," --is that not unconsiderate and offensive? I suppose it's non sequiter, since in this instance "rape" isn't a deterrant or reasoning for eternal spiritual punishment. I would think that because of this, the words "sin" amd "hell" to the ears of someone who spent most of their lives believing in such things only to conclude that they were false fears, is worse than the word rape to a rape victim. 

So atheists do you consider the words sin and hell to be "trigger words", and also could you state whether or not you were a prior believer in sich beliefs?
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
RE: Are the wlrds "Sin" and "Hell" a trigger to you Atheists?
I'm only triggered by direct physical confrontation or loud obnoxious people (in person- on the 'net, it is usually some pencil-armed 14 year old with a fair grasp of invective) whose rantings lead me to believe that there will be a direct physical confrontation. Sin and Hell are made-up shit that at some time in the past I used to sweat about. Once I realized what a heap of steaming feces religion is, I dropped those concepts as anything I need to be concerned with.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The primary purveyor of the 'sin' horseshit around here is Dripshit.  And you know what I think of him.
Don't you have a similar thread to this already?
Nah, no triggers of that sort here.

Stupid people do drive me up the wall, though.

No.
The words "sin" and "Hell" are basically meaningless to me, in that they don't evoke an emotional response of any kind.

They may trigger a shrug. That's about it.
And, yes, I used to believe.
Is it just an error that there are two of these threads?
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
When I think of the term, "trigger word", I'm thinking of a word that instantly pisses me off. Sin and Hell are more like stupid words to me. They don't piss me off so much as make me lose credibility in the person using them in a context of them being real.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(January 2, 2017 at 1:06 am)Astonished Wrote: Is it just an error that there are two of these threads?

I.. don't know! :Tongue

Thena how long have you been a non believer in such things? Maybe it's just a matter of time and healing..
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pride - the worst sin according to C.S.Lewis Duty 72 6793 February 25, 2023 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 1839 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  People are not 'Going to Hell' - they're already in Hell. The Kreisel 22 2329 February 18, 2021 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11026 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4325 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2176 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  *trigger warning* What if atheism's not all it seems? PhilosophicalZebra 143 26186 December 27, 2017 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  I fear hell, and this article made things worse for me. What do you guys think? arda101 26 4622 February 5, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Autolite
  Why do atheists think Original Sin isn't real? ErGingerbreadMandude 34 6553 January 21, 2017 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Are the words "Sin" and "Hell" a trigger to you Atheists? Mystical 54 5656 January 3, 2017 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: emjay