Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being atheist in the Bible Belt
Being atheist in the Bible Belt
I'm sure there are plenty of fellow Bible-Belters here who share my disdain for the staunchly religious component of this region of the world. I was raised southern baptist. My family was (and still is) a Christian family. I find it increasingly difficult to be myself around here nowadays. There is almost no conversation I can get into here that doesn't involve me going along with precepts I don't agree with in order keep the peace.

I'm pretty much open about my atheism whenever the question of belief is brought up. I'm sure that not everyone knows, but I try to be as unabashed as possible. I'll be damned if I'm going to make any bones about my true opinions. At the same time though, I don't volunteer the information, and try to stay away from religious discussion with devoutly religious bumpkins. 

I try to share my opinions via tacit "innuendo" type facebook posts wherein I don't explicitly use the word "atheism" or talk about the existence of God, but I do talk about science, evolution, reason, evidence-based thinking, and logic. Whenever there is a post from someone that says "please pray for me/us", I always comment with something like "I'm thinking of you today". 

I have started conversations with some of my more open friends. In these conversations, I usually let loose and speak with much more candor and honesty. I usually open up about what I really think.

The primary problem I have with religion, especially as it pertains to the Bible Belt, is that it fosters such ignorance. I see literally no path forward for the culture down here. The ignorance here is very prideful in nature, and is entirely self-sustaining. We cannot reach the point wherein evidence-based thinking dominates. These people are steeped in tradition, and value their traditions and hidebound beliefs much more than evidence or intellectual progress.

Does anyone else here have some things to say about being atheist in the Bible Belt? Please share!
RE: Being atheist in the Bible Belt
I am not in the US, but the vast majority of religion here are catholics. And from them, most are very kept about religion and don't bother anyone. My whole family is catholic, they know I am atheist, but there never was a problem regarding that.

In our family gatherings we talk more about down to earth stuff.
Bible belt dweller myself. I like to be hidden about my atheism in public. Everybody knows each others business around here and I am not interested in being evangelized to when I am at the grocery store. The people closest to me know where I stand.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Maybe this thread needs a new title. How about "How to hit back below the bible belt"?
I suppose I'm less reserved, and more committed to being in the trenches fighting against non-reason and dogmatic thinking.
Would you say your opposition to dogmatic thinking is dogmatic? (I guess mine is.)
Believers give me lots of shit thinking I want to stab them to death or force religion out of existence.

Trust us, many of us are isolated in very red areas of the country. BUT having said that, globally speaking, a Kurdish Christian or minority Muslim or gay person in the East can identify with what it is like to be surrounded. No, that does not make any god real. But Christianity doesn't own a patent on conservative bullshit anymore than Islam or Jews.

Push even very well intended empathetic liberal theists on their claims and they can get just as offended as the bigoted right.
(January 2, 2017 at 8:56 am)Whateverist Wrote: Would you say your opposition to dogmatic thinking is dogmatic? (I guess mine is.)

It's a charge I will accept if you must label it that. However, I see it as the obligation to stand up for reason, rather than the implication of a particular doctrine. I view dogma as a prescriptive doctrine of beliefs. Opposition to dogma is clearly not dogma.
I live in Texas so I literally don't know any other atheists in real life. I've caught shit from expressing my thoughts so now I don't bring it up at work and I avoid it if at all possible. Better to keep my job than speak my mind. My husband is Catholic as is his family so we stay off the topic of religion at home too. That's why I came here. Online is the only place I have to talk without offending anyone. The bible belt sucks but at least no one is physically hurting me like in other parts of the world.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
(January 2, 2017 at 9:43 am)mlmooney89 Wrote: I live in Texas so I literally don't know any other atheists in real life. I've caught shit from expressing my thoughts so now I don't bring it up at work and I avoid it if at all possible. Better to keep my job than speak my mind. My husband is Catholic as is his family so we stay off the topic of religion at home too. That's why I came here. Online is the only place I have to talk without offending anyone. The bible belt sucks but at least no one is physically hurting me like in other parts of the world.

If you want to meet other atheists in person, you can. google your nearest metro area with for example "Dallas/Fortworth atheists" or "Austin Atheists" and you'll find an atheist group. Austin is where the atheist internet podcast "Non Prophets" and "Atheist Experience" exist if I remember correctly.

I myself don't go to meetings in person because I don't like driving and the closest meetings are 45 mins time both south and north of me. I get enough interaction on the web and staying home saves money. But if I did live in a place with bus/sub I would. 

I do recommend not sharing FB or twitter pages with co workers or fam, at least have a separate account with a non fam identifying handle and keep that separate so you don't have to worry about fam or getting fired.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 34688 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Is being an atheist important to you? EgoDeath 63 6661 February 27, 2019 at 7:01 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What is your reason for being an atheist? dimitrios10 43 8484 June 6, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  The only human being to have won 2 unshared Nobel Prizes was an atheist. Jehanne 29 6490 March 14, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  I was almost caught being an atheist Der/die AtheistIn 31 7758 December 13, 2017 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 6921 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  The Nice Thing About Being An Atheist JackRussell 83 27372 July 21, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Being a sinner just for being born mlmooney89 110 15218 June 14, 2016 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What is being an Atheist like? connietheTgirl 53 7127 October 9, 2015 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Am I still an atheist if I believe in a higher being? vixene 94 21046 August 14, 2015 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda