Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is a Poe?
What is a Poe?
Y'all keep using the word and I'm sure smaddy defined it way in the day but I have only the foggiest idea what it is. Today I saw it one time too many and decided I don't want to be in the fog. So can smaddy tell me precisely what is a poe. Anything to do with Edgar?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: What is a Poe?
It's a reference to Poe's Law.

"It's difficult, if not impossible, to distinguish between parodies of fundamentalism or other extreme beliefs and their genuine proponents, since they both seem equally insane."
It's a reference to Poe's Law:
Quote:Poe's law is an Internet adage that states that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers or viewers as a sincere expression of the parodied views.

So for example, if someone comes to this forum and acts ridiculous, spewing horrifyingly bigoted and insane religious views that seem over-the-top, they might be called a "Poe" as in they're faking it for effect. A Poe pretends to believe wacky things, but the hard part is telling if they're really faking it or not, hence Poe's law.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Poes are satirists. The good ones anyway. Any damn fool and scream and hoot like my cousins.
Case in point, there is no way of knowing whether Trump actually believes any of the things he says or just likes pulling our chains. Impossible to tell.
For instance:

it remains possible, Westboro Baptist is a 'poe' organization.

If judged by their results, it is hard to imagine a more successful pro-gay organization, their spokesperson has admitted as much in regards to the countries adoption of gay marriage notwithstanding Westboro Baptists staunch efforts supposedly to prevent it from happening.

Hell, I fell for the Billy the Fridge sits on David Phelps face hoax hook line and sinker. I'm still pissed it wasn't real.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

As in, are you poe-ling my leg?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 3, 2017 at 2:13 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: It's a reference to Poe's Law:
Quote:Poe's law is an Internet adage that states that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers or viewers as a sincere expression of the parodied views.

So for example, if someone comes to this forum and acts ridiculous, spewing horrifyingly bigoted and insane religious views that seem over-the-top, they might be called a "Poe" as in they're faking it for effect.  A Poe pretends to believe wacky things, but the hard part is telling if they're really faking it or not, hence Poe's law.

This is the kind of clear definition I've come to expect from you.
Thanks
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
I note the Islamofascists are never questioned about being poes . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

[Image: 1h186c.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Celebration Of The Banned Useless Failed Poe Thread Edwardo Piet 2 717 October 4, 2015 at 10:33 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Poe, or no? Jackalope 10 1406 August 26, 2015 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Exian
  What is a poe? beentheredonethat 13 2319 July 15, 2014 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  What is a Poe? vodkafan 18 2030 June 22, 2014 at 11:18 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Poe? Dawud 13 3945 April 26, 2013 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  What is a poe ?? Intimae_Hasta 7 1875 June 25, 2010 at 2:24 am
Last Post: Samson