Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone here participate in Sports/Fitness?
Anyone here participate in Sports/Fitness?
I have been heavily involved in endurance sports (run, bike, swim) and some adventure sports (Scuba diving, rock climbing) for a few decades. 
When I did those things with folks all the time, religion was NEVER a topic of discussion.  In fact, I rarely even heard words like "god" or "I'll pray for you". 
I'm doing them less and less now because of family responsibilities, and have been spending more time online, where I DO see people offering to pray for me or others, or asking for prayers, etc...
So, for the first time since recognizing my atheism 40 years ago, I have been going to atheist gatherings. But, absolutely NO ONE at them raises their hand when I ask if anyone jogs, works out, hikes, bikes, etc.....
If I ask if anyone WANTS to do those things, there will be some interest, but they're people who want someone else to push them to do it. I'm not that person. I dont want to make people do things they don't want to do. 
(Actually, I WAS that person for about 12 years, when I was a personal trainer, so people were paying me. It was a struggle the whole time, though, to have people fighting me over doing what they asked me to get them to do.) I don't want to struggle to convince people anymore.
So, that's why I'm asking who here does things that are physically active. I like everything that isn't a contact sport. Football holds zero interest for me, either watching it, or playing it.

I did see the YOGA forum, but I'm not looking for an activity where the end goal is to post pics of ourselves in tight, or a lack of, clothes. Dodgy
RE: Anyone here participate in Sports/Fitness?
Running and rugby (in season). That's about it.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
My routine now is to do 30 minutes of a beach body video using weights and incorporating cardio, then I do a 10 minute ab video after that. Then I go out and run 2 miles around my neighborhood. Sometimes I like going to classes too. Our gym has spin, kickboxing, zumba, yoga, circuit toning, cardio mix, and 30 minute shred. I tried yoga and spin but they are both super boring to me. I like all the other ones.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(January 7, 2017 at 12:34 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: My routine now is to do 30 minutes of a beach body video using weights and incorporating cardio, then I do a 10 minute ab video after that. Then I go out and run 2 miles around my neighborhood. Sometimes I like going to classes too. Our gym has spin, kickboxing, zumba, yoga, circuit toning, cardio mix, and 30 minute shred. I tried yoga and spin but they are both super boring to me. I like all the other ones.

Tsk .. the point of yoga isn't to be interested.  It's about looking good in yoga pants.  (You got this.)
(January 7, 2017 at 12:16 pm)Lifelongnontheist Wrote: I did see the YOGA forum, but I'm not looking for an activity where the end goal is to post pics of ourselves in tight, or a lack of, clothes. Dodgy

...and you're a dick.

C_L, if you think yoga is boring, try a different kind of yoga.

I like sports, running, rowing and lots of yoga. The end goal has never been to post pictures of myself in tight or no clothes. What's the difference between me posting a photo of an asana I nailed and someone posting a photo of them jogging?
(January 7, 2017 at 1:14 pm)Shell B Wrote:
(January 7, 2017 at 12:16 pm)Lifelongnontheist Wrote: I did see the YOGA forum, but I'm not looking for an activity where the end goal is to post pics of ourselves in tight, or a lack of, clothes. Dodgy

...and you're a dick.

C_L, if you think yoga is boring, try a different kind of yoga.

I like sports, running, rowing and lots of yoga. The end goal has never been to post pictures of myself in tight or no clothes. What's the difference between me posting a photo of an asana I nailed and someone posting a photo of them jogging?

Yeah, the only yoga I've done is at the gym here and it's always the same instructor. It's super boring. Every single class she just has us repeat the same positions over and over again. It's like, it starts with downward dog, and then you put one leg up, and then you put the other leg up, and then you go into a lunge thingy, and then warrior, and then balance on one foot... etc etc. And you do that over and over again like 6 times lol. While staying in each position for like 20 seconds or something. And then she has us lay on the mat and meditate for the last 5 minutes while some weird mystic music plays in the background, in which time i just try not to giggle. I heard there's some yoga that is much more energetic, and I'm sure I'd like that a lot better. I keep hoping they get a new instructor.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I'm a sprinter. Vroooooooom. I won 1st place in the college sports meet for 100m sprint probably like 3 months ago.
Good job!

-walsh
(January 7, 2017 at 1:37 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Good job!

Thank you <3
I no longer have the physical ability for more than walking.

Back in the day I participated in the manliest of sports: tennis, golf, swimming, v-ball (Oh those 70's short shorts) and w-skiing.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Of comedy and sports. A HELP ME thread. Brian37 9 1208 October 15, 2021 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Abusive sports fans. 0P Brian37 20 1770 June 7, 2021 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Sports, football vs figure skating...... Brian37 11 978 January 16, 2021 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Ok sports fans, no matter the sport........ Brian37 7 524 December 12, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-May 3 to Whenever We're Not Fat Anymore Shell B 941 96638 November 2, 2020 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: Sal
  The myth of the draft in pro sports. Brian37 3 529 December 29, 2019 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Should college sports players be paid? Brian37 13 2367 October 2, 2019 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Marginalized sports viocjit 49 5329 August 1, 2019 at 8:27 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Anyone into combat sports? EgoDeath 24 2167 March 17, 2019 at 10:22 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Will be walking the sports plank soon. Brian37 4 1055 February 4, 2019 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: outtathereligioncloset