Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: 20th February 2017, 04:46

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steven Hawking's Brother
Steven Hawking's Brother
Anyone hear about Steven Hawking's brother supposedly having an out-of-body or near-death experience that caused him to change his beliefs about god, death and so forth?
RE: Steven Hawking's Brother
Well now we know why one brother is a world renowned scientist  and the other is not
"And the midnight serpent flowed into the sky like a thousand rivers and all became blackness and calm "

unknown 
Not true. Google it.
"When life begins, we are tender and weak.
When life ends, we are stiff and rigid.
All things, including the grass and the trees,
Are soft and pliable in life, dry and brittle in death.
So the soft and supple are the companions of life,
Whilst the stiff and unyielding are the companions of death.
An army that cannot yield will be defeated.
A tree that cannot bend will crack in the wind.
Thus, by nature's own decree,
The hard and strong are defeated,
Whilst the soft and gentle are triumphant."

-Lao-tzu

Even if it were true, what then?
Please read and abide by the Forum Rules, available here.

(21st June 2016, 07:31)Homeless Nutter Wrote: When someone is knocked on the head, they may see stars. That doesn't mean we should rely on their testimony, when studying astrophysics...
(7th January 2017, 23:48)Stimbo Wrote: Even if it were true, what then?

If it were true, it would clearly mean that Hawkings is simply and stupidly wrong about piddly stuff like time and gravity. Because - as we all know - what your brother claims invalidates whatever YOU claim.

Boru
'There are people who long for immortality in the afterlife who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.' - Isaac Asimov
Oh right, yeah. Obvious, when you think about it.

Well, that's atheism over then, I guess. We had a good run, yeah? I suppose I'll just say "kinda lingers" and be off home then. Can the last one out turn the lights off and lock up?
Please read and abide by the Forum Rules, available here.

(21st June 2016, 07:31)Homeless Nutter Wrote: When someone is knocked on the head, they may see stars. That doesn't mean we should rely on their testimony, when studying astrophysics...
Edward Hawking?  I don't think he's known for anything.  He doesn't even have a wikipedia page.  The only thing that's known about him was that he was adopted into the Hawking Family.  According to Stephen he was non-intellectual and non-academic. 

I don't get these sort of arguments.  I mean if the Pope had a brother who was an atheist... does that improve his credibility?
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
(7th January 2017, 22:55)Qwertyportne Wrote: Anyone hear about Steven Hawking's brother supposedly having an out-of-body or near-death experience that caused him to change his beliefs about god, death and so forth?
They are different people with different life experiences, level of education and beliefs.
Opinions are like arseholes.
Once somethings firmly in there its very hard to dislodge.

(8th January 2017, 01:39)Stimbo Wrote: Oh right, yeah. Obvious, when you think about it.

Well, that's atheism over then, I guess. We had a good run, yeah? I suppose I'll just say "kinda lingers" and be off home then. Can the last one out turn the lights off and lock up?

About time Stim... The lack of mental gymnastics all these years has made me unfit and lerthargic!
Quote:AtlasS33 wrote:
"When it comes to the deiety I worship, he sent a book, it contained a message. I took that message, tested it, then I realized he is God : it didn't break against reality."
Pulse Wrote:
~ Atheism seems so incredibly counter intuitive, that to even begin to take it seriously, one has to suspend all logic."

Religion: making the uncomfortable comfortable for thousands of years.
(8th January 2017, 01:39)Stimbo Wrote: Oh right, yeah. Obvious, when you think about it.

Opinions are like arseholes.
Once somethings firmly in there its very hard to dislodge.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Someone tried to kill steven hawking dyresand 43 1536 2nd July 2016, 23:10
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  This reminds me a bit of Steven Kind and The Stand abaris 0 345 11th September 2015, 08:29
Last Post: abaris