Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For Fantasy/Sci-Fiction Lovers: What Makes You Reada Book?
For Fantasy/Sci-Fiction Lovers: What Makes You Reada Book?
A lot of you know that I’m a writer. As such, I’ve been looking for ways to deal with all the competition out there. I begin to think part of it is just sheer luck. But I’ve been reading a lot of advice from the "experts" and they all seem to say I need to establish a relationship with my readers. That sounds so crazy. I’ve never read a fantasy novel because I thought the author cared about me personally.

So I’m asking you, the readers, the real experts on why you pick up any particular book. What makes you interested in a book? Especially a book by an author you’ve never heard of, or do you only read books by famous authors? Should I make a name for myself by robbing a bank?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: For Fantasy/Sci-Fiction Lovers: What Makes You Reada Book?
Basics: Cover art, back cover information. Who says it's good? Is the plot synopsis interesting?

Total time looking at a book, about one minute before putting it back on the shelf or buying it.
One thing that puts me off any work, particularly the fantastical, is a story that opens by throwing out all sorts of terms that the author made up as if I'm supposed to give a fuck about things that I don't know what they are yet. Hook the reader emotionally with simple human things they understand, then I might actually have reason to care when you start going on about the Bene Geserit or whatever.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
If I can read reviews about the book, comparisons to other stories I may know seem to get my attention a lot. Beyond reading reviews, I guess cover art and the summary of the story on the back are what will get me to read a book in the first place. The biggest thing that will keep me reading a book is my take on the main character(s) and how they start to develop. If that falls through, I usually set the book down for good. That's been happening a lot lately, unfortunately. I also try to read the first chapter if I can to get a good sneak peak. Bad intros will definitely keep me from buying the book.
Yeah, blurb on the back generally does it for me. Or if it's an author with whom I'm already familiar.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Blurb/summary and cover art, although the cover art mostly serves as a deterrent, in that the cover can often tell me when a book is very likely not a candidate, but not so much the other way round.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(January 8, 2017 at 1:50 pm)Alex K Wrote: Blurb/summary and cover art, although the cover art mostly serves as a deterrent, in that the cover can often tell me when a book is very likely not a candidate, but not so much the other way round.

I look at the cover art as a non-verbal synopsis that wasn't necessarily agreed to by the author. If it shows a barechested Viking holding a flaming sword while spaceships fly overhead then I'll be inclined to move on.
Thanks, guys. This is very helpful information. Seems like I always come to the right place when I come here.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
Usually what's on the cover, and what's happening in the first page or two. You have to hook them in with something first, then real it in with some juicy plot.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Hope it wasn't too banal a point as to be platitude. Most of what I'd have to say I feel is Storytelling 101, and the fundamentals of good world building.
Consistency, emotional resonance, and at least make an attempt to not just be another Tolkienesque yarn. We all draw from the same well, I understand that, and fiction (particularly fantasy and sci-fi) is largely a game of presenting old tropes in interesting ways. But if you do go for elves and dwarves gallivanting around a rough approximation of medieval Europe, then you're not doing yourself any favours as far as my interest is concerned.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any writers here (or readers, especially of Fantasy or Magic Realism)? Jillybean 27 608 March 6, 2024 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Project? Collaborative Fiction, based on a true story kinda Nanny 2 194 February 2, 2024 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  The Most Notorious Badass In Fiction BrianSoddingBoru4 25 1390 September 19, 2023 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Top Book Recommendations FrustratedFool 17 971 August 15, 2023 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Horror fiction MR. Macabre 666 16 966 May 25, 2023 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Unintended improvisation that makes the final cut. Brian37 8 433 June 20, 2021 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Andy Weir's new book due out May 4th. Gawdzilla Sama 2 245 December 24, 2020 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Book banning Spongebob 39 2999 December 21, 2020 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  This is my fave cartoon, always makes me cry Brian37 6 786 January 14, 2020 at 12:09 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Sci-fi/fantasy author criticizes book store for stocking dead guys Foxaèr 9 1077 April 20, 2019 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir