Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building Bridges
Building Bridges
I posted this on someone's thread, but then thought it deserved a thread of it's own. It's written by a renovator from HG TV.  

Anyway, I love this message so much! I posted it to my facebook as well because I think it's such a great message for people of opposing views to come together and build a better world. I've seen that there are a lot of people here who live by this and that's why I'm able to feel comfortable being myself with you guys. Despite our disagreements, I'm still treated with a lot of respect on these forums, and I really appreciate that.  Smile

Quote:Jo and I sometimes don't see eye to eye on stuff. She looks at something one way and in her gut she thinks she's right and I look at it an entirely different way. I wish that she could get with the program and just see things the way that I do. (Of course, I’m kidding – we all know Jo’s usually right.) If Joanna and I, who are best friends, don’t see lots of things the same way – how on earth do we expect a world of strangers to magically align? The reality is, we may not all get on the same page and I think that’s okay.

This past year has been tough. In my lifetime, I can’t recall humanity being more divided. Plenty of folks are sad and scared and angry and there are sound bites being fed to us that seem fueled by judgement, fear and even hatred. Jo and I refuse to be baited into using our influence in a way that will further harm an already hurting world, this is our home. A house divided cannot stand.

If there is any hope for all of us to move forward, to heal and to grow – we have got to learn to engage people who are different from us with dignity and with love. Joanna and I have personal convictions. One of them is this: we care about you for the simple fact that you are a person, our neighbor on planet earth. It’s not about what color your skin is, how much money you have in the bank, your political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender, nationality or faith. That’s all fascinating, but it cannot add or take away from the reality that we’re already pulling for you. We are not about to get in the nasty business of throwing stones at each other, don’t ask us to cause we won’t play that way.

In 2017: We have decided to change the conversation.  

You wanna talk about how to build bridges between people that disagree? We want to be a part of that conversation. Do you want to talk about healing and compassion and kindness and restoration? We’re in the restoration business, we can for sure make time for that.  

I think we are all here for a reason. I think we all have a call on our lives. Your role is not my role, and thank goodness, because there is so much unique and important work to be done. Jo and I feel called to be bridge builders. We want to help initiate conversations between people that don’t think alike. Listen to me, we do not all have to agree with each other. Disagreement is not the same thing as hate, don’t believe that lie.

Also, let's cut each other a little slack. This living out loud thing is not for the faint of heart. Jo and I don’t want to hide, we want to live brave & bold lives and we wish that same thing for you as well. But words can cut deep and having someone misunderstand your intentions can hurt as much as just about anything. If I misjudge people and am wrong, I want to be wrong having assumed the best about them. The bottom line is, I would rather be loving than be right.

Our family wants to fight for a world that knows how to lovingly disagree. We believe it starts when we operate from a position of love in all things. If your position only extends love to the people who agree with you, we want to respectfully challenge that position. We propose operating with a love so real and true that you are willing to roll up your sleeves and work alongside the very people that are most unlike you. Fear dissolves in close proximity. Our stereotypes and vain imaginations fall away when we labor side by side. This is how a house gets unified.

Think about it for a minute:  This could be one of the greatest restoration stories of all time.  

Who's ready to get to work?

https://magnoliamarket.com/chips-new-years-revelation/ 

What do yall think??
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: Building Bridges
The world would be boring if we all had the same opinions about things.
Mine are obviously superior, but where would the fun be if everyone just sensibly agreed with whatever I thought?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Quote:In 2017: We have decided to change the conversation.  

You wanna talk about how to build bridges between people that disagree? We want to be a part of that conversation. Do you want to talk about healing and compassion and kindness and restoration? We’re in the restoration business, we can for sure make time for that. 

I think we have entered the Age of Drumpf and there is no hope for that.
I'm all for building bridges.

There are some people I can't build bridges with though. I will never tolerate intolerance or smile at fascism, racism, bigotry or exclusivness. That, for me, would be like pissing on the graves of my ancestors who took up arms to fight the above.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Mitch McConnell isn't.

http://washingtonmonthly.com/2016/12/12/...-priority/

Quote:McConnell Says No to Infrastructure Spending as a Priority
(January 9, 2017 at 2:16 pm)abaris Wrote: I'm all for building bridges.

There are some people I can't build bridges with though. I will never tolerate intolerance or smile at fascism, racism, bigotry or exclusivness. That, for me, would be like pissing on the graves of my ancestors who took up arms to fight the above.

But that's all the more reason to connect with these people. Maybe your good example and your words will influence them to see people differently.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(January 9, 2017 at 2:21 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: But that's all the more reason to connect with these people.

No, it isn't. If someone's gone over that edge, it's time to fight them at every step. They don't seek common ground, so there is none to have. That goes for religious as well as political radicals.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I try to get along with anybody who isn't abusive or manipulative.
(January 9, 2017 at 2:09 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: The reality is, we may not all get on the same page and I think that’s okay.

A house divided cannot stand.

These seem diametrically opposed. The house is divided but the thrust of what you're saying seems to be "can't we find some common ground to come together on -and- viva la difference".

(January 9, 2017 at 2:09 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: You wanna talk about how to build bridges between people that disagree? We want to be a part of that conversation.

I'm in.

(January 9, 2017 at 2:09 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I think we are all here for a reason.

I don't. But in a sense, we all show up with reasons, not all of which we got to choose. I have 'callings', I just don't think they eminate from God or any where else 'out there'. They come with 'me' as part of the package. For the most part I'm not a big save-the-world guy. My motto is "if the world is ever going to be the kind of place in which a person can live a fulfilling life, let that begin with me." Maybe I'm a confucianist, you know, get your own house in order, then look to improve the neighborhood, the town, and so on.

(January 9, 2017 at 2:14 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:In 2017: We have decided to change the conversation.  

I think we have entered the Age of Drumpf and there is no hope for that.

Sadly the only time we can ever hope to do as C_L asks is when the party of no is in power.  Liberals are dispositionally inclined to do whatever is possible to improve the lives of everyone.  We can't help but cooperate in any positive use of government.  So the only way to cooperate is to let the bully party be in charge.  It is a sick relationship.
Sorry, nope. 

There are some canyons I'll never cross. Why would I want to build a bridge to get there?

Easy, glaring example. Not building a bridge with a mass shooter/murderer. I don't care what their side is.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Building and destructing onlinebiker 12 440 September 1, 2020 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Lego-Type House Building BrianSoddingBoru4 4 523 May 1, 2018 at 8:56 am
Last Post: johan
  Building HTPC Cheap wolf39us 21 3126 August 21, 2013 at 2:29 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Character-Building Advice. Lehrling 17 3560 October 24, 2011 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Building a computer, advice? Opinions? Live_free 11 3882 October 24, 2010 at 10:00 am
Last Post: orogenicman
  The official what the fuck is Synackaon building thread Autumnlicious 24 6853 May 3, 2010 at 5:51 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet