Our server costs ~$33 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: 19th January 2017, 12:58

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence for the existence of God
Evidence for the existence of God
Atheists, please define "evidence".
RE: Evidence for the existence of God
..We're not the ones claiming something exists. Would you prefer the word "proof" or "verification" or "confirmation"?

Generally, evidence is a body of facts and information that indicates an assertion being either true or untrue (depending on what's being argued).

All you've got to do is answer the question "Why should I believe in god?"
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(11th January 2017, 16:01)Yadayadayada Wrote: Atheists, please define "evidence".

http://lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=define+evidence
(12th January 2017, 11:33)Tazzycorn Wrote:
(12th January 2017, 11:16)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Those who compare God to the tooth fairy are douchebags.
True that, at least the Tooth Fairy gives you something in return for your belief and sacrifical offerings. When was the last time god ever did anything for anyone?
"You don't change the world by staying at home and being good" - Mooney
"I reserve the right to be irrational"
― Gemini
Why, OP< will that make some appear?
 “I can’t even go to a goddamn potluck without having to thank some space fairy for the broccoli casserole!” -Trae Crowder

(11th January 2017, 16:06)FatAndFaithless Wrote: ..We're not the ones claiming something exists. 
No, you are the ones claiming that there is no evidence that something exists.

Quote:Would you prefer the word "proof" or "verification" or "confirmation"?
Sure, please define "proof".

Quote:Generally, evidence is a body of facts and information that indicates an assertion being either true or untrue (depending on what's being argued).

All you've got to do is answer the question "Why should I believe in god?"
Thank you, that is exactly the type of succinct answer I am after.
There needs to be a falsifiable testable hypothesis first, as I mentioned before. You were saying something about testable characteristics or something but didn't elaborate.

I'd say evidence is data that is relevant to a hypothesis. What form that takes depends on the hypothesis in question.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(11th January 2017, 18:21)robvalue Wrote: There needs to be a falsifiable testable hypothesis first, as I mentioned before. You were saying something about testable characteristics or something but didn't elaborate.

I'd say evidence is data that is relevant to a hypothesis. What form that takes depends on the hypothesis in question.

I bet, even if God himself visits this planet and offers to "follow his will", there will be a lot of people who will wish to remain independent.

Peaceful believers simply dare to dream extremely grand, that's all. Although, it would be perfect if they didn't fuck with peoples minds, guided by their grand motives.
Every scientific finding empirically confirms that the physical universe is intelligible and that human reason effectively secures knowledge. Make of that what you will.
Natural science has consistently confirmed Man's capacity to successfully discover laws of Nature by use of reason. If the world is intelligible and human reason effective, as demonstrated by the success of natural science, then the conclusions of Thomas Aquinas’s Five Ways follow with inexorable logic. Therefore, natural science unequivocally supports the proposition that God exists.
(11th January 2017, 18:35)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Every scientific finding empirically confirms that the physical universe is intelligible and that human reason  effectively secures knowledge. Make of that what you will.

I'm not sure we can say that any more in the age of quantum mechanics.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her, you are not alone.
(11th January 2017, 18:35)purplepurpose Wrote:
(11th January 2017, 18:21)robvalue Wrote: There needs to be a falsifiable testable hypothesis first, as I mentioned before. You were saying something about testable characteristics or something but didn't elaborate.

I bet, even if God himself visits this planet and offers to "follow his will", there will be a lot of people who will wish to remain independent.

I'm sure you're correct. I'll be happy to talk to him like civilized beings, but I'm not bowing down to anyone. The idea that giving evidence of his existence would take away your choice to worship him is simply wrong.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What would you consider to be evidence for God? Psychonaut 591 62718 29th December 2016, 15:53
Last Post: Astreja
Question How Much Evidence Will It Take You To Believe In God??? Edward John 370 6285 16th November 2016, 04:03
Last Post: robvalue
  Supernatural Evidence? Soldat Du Christ 266 6704 13th November 2016, 10:44
Last Post: chimp3
  Religion doesn't need evidence purplepurpose 105 2079 26th October 2016, 19:17
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Not All Demand Evidence chimp3 28 1020 22nd September 2016, 21:03
Last Post: Jehanne
  What would evidence of a God even look like? Excited Penguin 153 4925 12th September 2016, 09:05
Last Post: Alasdair Ham
  Evidence for atheist claims Wryetui 629 27509 10th June 2016, 12:22
Last Post: madog
  Why the bible ISN'T evidence. Socratic Meth Head 34 3148 11th April 2016, 00:57
Last Post: an0nemus
  Theist "You are Evidence" argument. Socratic Meth Head 35 2979 19th March 2016, 10:35
Last Post: Esquilax
  Evidence and causes for doubt LadyForCamus 43 3966 11th March 2016, 03:27
Last Post: Fake Messiah