Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Controlled by fables from thousands of years ago!
Controlled by fables from thousands of years ago!
So I was making some breakfast sausage this morning, and I recalled a time back in college where I was exposed to Jews for the first time. Never met one before, so it was interesting. At the time, I thought their devotion to their laws was commendable, as was their strict accordance to the whole kosher deal. As I continued to enjoy the scent of this Forbidden Meat Product, I had to wonder: Do Jews realize that they're blindly following "laws" that some people heard, that came from some other people, who ultimately claimed to hear it from some unseen entity they believed somehow endowed some people with the title of Chosen People?

Growing up Catholic, there we so many absurd traditions and theatrics in mass that I had to wonder how it was decided that doing a cross sign or using a beaded necklace somehow had a mysterious benefit.

It's almost like asking anyone why they do what they do, and they all answer, "I'm just following along! Just do what we do and don't ask the reasoning behind all this. Here comes the donation basket." Yeah, they're behaviors are being controlled, they probably know it deep down inside, but can't or won't break the cycle!

The absurdity almost had be burn a sausage, I was so deep in thought.
RE: Controlled by fables from thousands of years ago!
In addition to the food thing, some/most religious folks can get pretty worked up if they suspect someone else is enjoying sexual congress without following their rules.

Not sure if it is still an issue, but Scripture requires the churchy folks to have some odd fixation with menstruation too . .

Huh
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Yeah, that is stupid enough...

Quote:Working from their research facility in the West Bank settlement of Alon Shvut, they create electronic devices — from phones to alarm systems to motorized vehicles — that obey Orthodox Jewish laws about the Sabbath, when even turning an electric current on or off is forbidden.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/busine...osher.html
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
You can almost always heard believers say "Religion motivates people to DO good. God must be behind this "holy book"s perfect msg".

And like Pascal Wager liked to say "Its not like theists lose something".
Any religion that bans bacon MUST be wrong!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Don't burn your breakfast!
It's hard wired in most of us.

At least the Jews are not knocking on doors and asking "Can we talk to you about the Torah?". I have never been accosted on the boardwalk by some guy with little comic books yelling "YHWH loves you! Are you circumcised?".

Christianity and Islam would not exist but for the Jewish books. So, who else is controlled by fables from thousands of years ago?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(January 15, 2017 at 4:58 am)robvalue Wrote: Yeah, that is stupid enough...

Quote:Working from their research facility in the West Bank settlement of Alon Shvut, they create electronic devices — from phones to alarm systems to motorized vehicles — that obey Orthodox Jewish laws about the Sabbath, when even turning an electric current on or off is forbidden.

So rather than question the idiocy of these crazy "laws," they come up with creative ways to adapt technology to comply with them. Mankind (at least some of it) is doomed.
(January 15, 2017 at 11:00 am)thool Wrote:

So rather than question the idiocy of these crazy "laws," they come up with creative ways to adapt technology to comply with them. Mankind (at least some of it) is doomed.

There is lasar circumcision procedure available.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(January 15, 2017 at 11:00 am)thool Wrote:

They also seem to think God is incredibly stupid and won't notice people employing workarounds in order to ignore his precious rules.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it Nihilist Virus 330 30182 March 5, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo mralstoner 31 4471 October 20, 2016 at 6:27 am
Last Post: comet
  A series of my arguments/points over the years. Mystic 9 2699 December 11, 2015 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
Information Two Years Later,Indian Skeptic Who Debunked a “Miracle” is Still in Exile in Finland MountainsWinAgain 2 1302 June 4, 2014 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  WLC debated Sean M. Carroll a few weeks ago on origins and Kalam Argument Mudhammam 9 3124 April 5, 2014 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  All the atheist of 18 years and below open this thread. Lawman 6 1651 March 24, 2014 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Atheists Gone Wild: Reign of Terror Kills Thousands in Less than a Year Blackrook 79 28646 September 29, 2012 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Indonesian man faces 11 years in prison for blasphemy Ziploc Surprise 2 2077 May 18, 2012 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Chaostheosis
  How many years have you been an atheist? Blanca 40 10238 April 3, 2012 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger