Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do religions inspire people to be good?
How do religions inspire people to be good?
This is something that is puzzling me. How does this work? What is it about religions that could inspire someone to be a better person than they were before?

If anyone could explain it, that would be great. Thanks!

[Edited after consideration]
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: How do religions inspire people to be good?
I kind of compare it to bribes and threats. Those can also inspire someone to be a better person, or at least in their actions. I'm not in favor of the "ends justifying the means" approaches, but inspiration can work in those ways.
Yeah, it may produce better behavior, or rather desirable behavior. It doesn't make the person actually good though, it's just forcing them to act a certain way. If you have to threaten someone, then clearly they are acting against their nature.

I suppose the argument could be made that it becomes part of their nature, if they act that way long enough.

That brings up the question of how ethical it is to "program" someone by fear.

And the thing is, how would you convince the person that they are now being "better"? According to their own standards, they are now doing things that go against their own values.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
for the external observer, scripture cherry picking is a big help in keeping the religious folks from committing all manner of odious and creepy behavior (still menstruating? better go kill some more birds, and your husband had better kill a couple just to be sure)

However, Scripture cherry picking is predicated on the pew warmer assuming they know more than God about how things otta be done, so it is a vile abomination to do so.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I bet, A lot of poor people aren't committing crimes or showing their ugly natural side because there is police. So, this also is programming by fear, but its vital.

Believers like to put criminals and sinners on the same level...
I suppose in some cases it may be true that an otherwise good but unmotivated person could be inspired to act by the example of some revered figure.

Of course, this doesn't really address the OP, since it would be an inspiration to do good, rather than to be good -- whatever that means.
Herd programming.

It's more than just the ultimate reward or punishment.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Religion provides context; reward provides incentive. What is difficult about this?
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(January 16, 2017 at 3:09 am)robvalue Wrote: Yeah, it may produce better behavior, or rather desirable behavior. It doesn't make the person actually good though, it's just forcing them to act a certain way. If you have to threaten someone, then clearly they are acting against their nature.

I suppose the argument could be made that it becomes part of their nature, if they act that way long enough.

That brings up the question of how ethical it is to "program" someone by fear.

And the thing is, how would you convince the person that they are now being "better"? According to their own standards, they are now doing things that go against their own values.

"To do is to be," to paraphrase Sartre. We are the sum of our actions. There is no "you" lurking underneath the surface. If religion can inspire people to act better than they would without it, I'd be satisfied. But there's little evidence of that generally.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Most religitards define being a better person as being closer to the ideals put forward by whatever cult is doing the defining.  You can bet your sweet ass that xristards are not impressed by people being good muslims.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1845 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 2774 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  Religions Role in Social Movements, Essential or Accidental? Neo-Scholastic 17 3484 October 4, 2018 at 3:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are all religions cults? Aroura 88 11129 September 30, 2018 at 1:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3734 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Why do the Abrahamic religions hate the female body so much? Rhondazvous 84 10864 June 18, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions? Greatest I am 37 12860 March 23, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  How I view all the world's religions. Brian37 0 600 March 22, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why you should distrust all religions. Jehanne 57 11095 January 9, 2018 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why are most religions agains homosexuality? Der/die AtheistIn 140 22890 December 22, 2017 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Antares