Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martin McGuinness will not stand in another election
Martin McGuinness will not stand in another election
Good riddance, I hope that illness of his turns out to be something serious.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38652088

Quote:Martin McGuinness, former IRA leader turned peacemaker, has confirmed he will not stand in the Northern Ireland Assembly election.

He quit as deputy first minister in a row over a botched green energy scheme, sparking an election on 2 March.

He had been in the post since entering NI's power-sharing assembly in 2007 with ex-political enemy Ian Paisley.

Mr McGuinness, 66, has been ill for a number of weeks and said this was a factor in his decision.

Mr McGuinness told the BBC that he had faced a "big decision" over his future and that he will never again be "an elected representative" in politics.
RE: Martin McGuinness will not stand in another election
I didn't know who that was, but I certainly know about the IRA. Yeah, fuck them.
(January 19, 2017 at 9:03 pm)Jesster Wrote: I didn't know who that was, but I certainly know about the IRA. Yeah, fuck them.

Absolutely, fuck every single one of those scumbags.
(January 19, 2017 at 9:03 pm)Jesster Wrote: I didn't know who that was, but I certainly know about the IRA. Yeah, fuck them.

I wouldn't be dependant on Bella for my information on the North. Yes McGuinness was a senior IRA commander who ordered the deaths of innocent people, but he is also the man who is the most responsible for the peace process in the North lasting as long as it did. He was willing to get into bed with Ian Paisley for peace, he was willing to cut Peter Robinson a lot of slack to prserve the institutions of the GFA (for example over bith Robinsons enriching themselves at the expense of the people of the North), and he stood by Arlene Foster for months while the Cash for Ash scandal (a half billion pound fraud solely of her own making) engulfed, only collapsing the government when it became obvious that she had no interest in doing the right thing.

In fact, I'm of the opinion that it was McGuinness who got the IRA to give up their guns and give peace a chance (something no loyalist politician can claim, as the UDA & UVF kept their guns as they morphed into small time mafiosi and started killing each other).

If the Brits don't screw the pooch on the North (I've little hope for Kenny and his band of tulips, they've been neglecting their responsibilities in this area for coming on six years), McGuinness will be remembered as an Ashoka like figure, a man wedded to war who later rwalised he fucked up and embraced peace.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canada Election Day !!! The Architect Of Fate 18 1088 October 7, 2021 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  BREAKING:Clashes erupt after Trump loyalists march against election results WinterHold 28 2095 December 14, 2020 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Aegon
  George Zimmerman suing parents of Trayvon Martin among others Cecelia 140 7297 December 11, 2019 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  North Carolina orders new election. Brian37 4 572 February 22, 2019 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  FLOTUS chanel's "Stand By Your Man" Brian37 2 397 September 6, 2018 at 12:53 pm
  Another day another mass shooting in America downbeatplumb 35 4528 August 29, 2018 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Another Day, another derogatory book about Trump. Jehanne 25 2318 August 13, 2018 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Florida Stand Your Ground Shooting brewer 40 4697 August 5, 2018 at 8:51 am
  Ontario Election Tomorrow Amarok 11 990 June 7, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: unsapien
  Why Not Another Run At Benghazi, Fucktards? Minimalist 0 313 January 5, 2018 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist