Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Christians regarding elimination of Sin
Question for Christians regarding elimination of Sin
Original sin means that every human being is born with sin.

So, Hypothetically, if a human baby grew up far away from any sort of contact with human civilisation or even animals, wouldn't the baby not "learn" how to sin? Human beings learn by seeing, by memorizing, by practicing and observing. So if a baby were to grow up somewhere where any sort of sin was not committed thereby not seeing or learning sin -

Would the baby grow up to be as someone born with "original sin" but never actually sinned in his entire life thereby not being born with "original sin"?
RE: Question for Christians regarding elimination of Sin
Original sin is inherent to the immortal soul.

So, once the fetus is delivered and inspirates it's first breath, it is condemned.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Interesting hypothetical. I'd also like to see the Christian take on this. I know the specifics of the belief of original sin deviates from Christian to Christian. I wonder if that will be reflected here.
Sin is everything that pisses off God.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(January 20, 2017 at 11:04 pm)pool the great Wrote: Original sin means that every human being is born with sin.

So, Hypothetically, if a human baby grew up far away from any sort of contact with human civilisation or even animals, wouldn't the baby not "learn" how to sin? Human beings learn by seeing, by memorizing, by practicing and observing. So if a baby were to grow up somewhere where any sort of sin was not committed thereby not seeing or learning sin -

Would the baby grow up to be as someone born with "original sin" but never actually sinned in his entire life thereby not being born with "original sin"?

Are you saying put a child in a completely sterile environment without any human influence, How would the child know how to do anything that resembles human behavior. Original sin is passed own to every child, so yes it would have original sin but, it would be judged by it's actions as long as it has no understanding of Christ.
You've put this child in an unreal situation wanting a normal answer, just doesn't seem possible to give a truly specific answer. You are also confusing original sin with a sinful act, your question is not specific enough.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
I'd describe it more as the potential to sin. And that we all *will* sin if we can... ie, no one is perfect. It's part of human nature.

This hypothetical person will still sin, even if he doesn't learn it from anyone, bc it's in his nature to do so.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(January 21, 2017 at 1:54 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I'd describe it more as the potential to sin. And that we all *will* sin if we can... ie, no one is perfect. It's part of human nature.

This hypothetical person will still sin, even if he doesn't learn it from anyone, bc it's in his nature to do so.

Yeah, that's the kind of answer I was looking for, whether a person will sin if they didn't even know what sin was. Wouldn't God cut his some slack though, since he probably doesn't know what a sin is in the first place?
(January 21, 2017 at 3:05 am)pool the great Wrote:
(January 21, 2017 at 1:54 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I'd describe it more as the potential to sin. And that we all *will* sin if we can... ie, no one is perfect. It's part of human nature.

Yeah, that's the kind of answer I was looking for, whether a person will sin if they didn't even know what sin was. Wouldn't God cut his some slack though, since he probably doesn't know what a sin is in the first place?

Absolitely. Full knowledge and consent of the will play a major role in a person's culpability.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

That's not exactly the way your church sees it, C/L.

Quote:Original sin - an essential truth of the faith
388 With the progress of Revelation, the reality of sin is also illuminated. Although to some extent the People of God in the Old Testament had tried to understand the pathos of the human condition in the light of the history of the fall narrated in Genesis, they could not grasp this story's ultimate meaning, which is revealed only in the light of the death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ.261 We must know Christ as the source of grace in order to know Adam as the source of sin. The Spirit-Paraclete, sent by the risen Christ, came to "convict the world concerning sin",262 by revealing him who is its Redeemer.
389 The doctrine of original sin is, so to speak, the "reverse side" of the Good News that Jesus is the Savior of all men, that all need salvation and that salvation is offered to all through Christ. The Church, which has the mind of Christ,263 knows very well that we cannot tamper with the revelation of original sin without undermining the mystery of Christ.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/ar...s2c1p7.htm

No wonder it took them centuries to work out that answer. 

Then there is 390 which is a doozie.

Quote:How to read the account of the fall

390 The account of the fall in Genesis 3 uses figurative language, but affirms a primeval event, a deed that took place at the beginning of the history of man.264 Revelation gives us the certainty of faith that the whole of human history is marked by the original fault freely committed by our first parents.265

As whacked out as any baptist shithead ever born!
Hmm? Nothing you posted denies what I said.

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sin and death LinuxGal 35 2098 December 11, 2023 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  the nature of sin Drich 137 17871 August 11, 2020 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7591 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Hypothetical Question for Christians (involving aliens) Tiberius 26 3286 June 7, 2018 at 1:59 pm
  2011 post from Facebook regarding 2012 "rapture" Foxaèr 1 558 May 23, 2018 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Question I have for Christians. Quick 45 6929 May 12, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  A single question for Christians Foxaèr 30 6315 October 6, 2017 at 9:00 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3062 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Sin and the Blame Game LadyForCamus 115 29734 June 20, 2017 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Without the Shedding of Blood There is No Remission of Sin Rhondazvous 231 57114 June 4, 2017 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Zenith