Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do atheists think Original Sin isn't real?
Why do atheists think Original Sin isn't real?
If you're born a human sooner or later you'll commit a sin. What's there to argue about?
RE: Why do atheists think Original Sin isn't real?
That's not how the idea of original sin is usually presented to me. I've always heard from Christianity that everyone is born already a sinner. Why should I believe that?

Even under your interpretation, why should I believe that "sin" even exists? I guess that depends on how you define sin, but it has always been presented to me as a purely religious concept before.

Just like with I do with gods, I'm not even arguing that this absolutely isn't real. I just don't believe it because I haven't heard a good reason to be convinced.
Why don't you go learn what the doctrine of original sin means?
There's no such thing as sin. We don't believe Unicorns or big foot are real either.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Define sin.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
(January 21, 2017 at 12:24 am)Minimalist Wrote: Why don't you go learn what the doctrine of original sin means?

Lol, asking Pool to learn ... let me know how that works out.

Worth a shot, Thump.  I have a feeling that he thinks it means the first time he pulled out his dick for a wank.
(January 21, 2017 at 12:13 am)pool the great Wrote: If you're born a human sooner or later you'll commit a sin. What's there to argue about?

I'm personally inclined to think it's an idea that's got a point, but it's problematic to me that it's connected with religion, namely that:
  • It presupposes a deity (which is nowhere near conclusively proven)
  • It can somehow coexist with a God who is all-knowing, all-powerful, and not a complete cunt.
  • The idea of sin promoted by the same people who tend to promote the ideology is itself deeply flawed (to varying degrees, depending on the emphases done by any given idealogue). Not helping that it's often used for social control and not an honest attempt to help people actually try to overcome it, just not express it.
  • The (sometimes) tacit assumption that this God can help with that even though A) He either created it or allowed this to happen, B) Empirical evidence suggests this is not even close to the case.
Personally, I've actually said on some occasions that when I left the Church, I still retained a belief in something like original sin, because, given all the insane shit people all over the world do, it's not too hard to think that there's something inherently messed up about humanity (fun fact: humans are social animals, and yet, throughout millennia of our history, we've had an astonishingly hard time trying to build societies that can actually function properly, especially if more than 150 of us are involved.)
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Sin is doing something that pisses off God.

I'm not too concerned, therefore.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(January 21, 2017 at 12:13 am)pool the great Wrote: If you're born a human sooner or later you'll commit a sin. What's there to argue about?
Remember, in the biblical fairy tale doing work of any kind on the sabbath warrants the death penalty.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 10392 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 5363 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 7043 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2099 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1025 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Pride - the worst sin according to C.S.Lewis Duty 72 7318 February 25, 2023 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What do atheists think of pagans and wiccans Woah0 56 3862 September 18, 2022 at 5:32 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 985 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2861 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1972 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir