Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 8:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snake Bite
Snake Bite
A snake bite quiz came across one of my news feeds. Thought it was interesting so below is a copy paste (I'd give the sight but to access you have to sign up). Answers are at the bottom. Hope you enjoy.

Most snakebites are innocuous and are delivered by nonpoisonous species. North America is home to 25 species of poisonous snakes. Worldwide, only about 15% of the more than 3000 species of snakes are considered dangerous to humans. Although death is rare, local complications from envenomation may occur.

1.    Which of the following is accurate regarding the epidemiology of snakebites?
A. Most snakebites are reported in white females
B. Most patients who present with snakebites are aged 12-17 years
C. Most snakebites are reported on the foot or leg
D. Most snakebites are reported from April to October

2.    Which of the following is accurate about the presentation of snakebites?
A. Soft pitting edema most commonly develops in the first 10-15 minutes
B. Respiratory distress is more common with coral snake bites
C. Although alarming, early and intense pain is not necessarily a sign of significant envenomation
D. Neuromuscular blockade is more common with rattlesnake bites

3.    Which of the following statements is accurate regarding snakebite wounds?
A. The overwhelming majority of viper bites are dry
B. Cobra bites typically result in envenomation
C. Rattlesnakes bites cause limited local effects but significant neurologic compromise
D. Copperhead bites are generally limited to localized tissue destruction

4.    Which of the following statements is accurate about the treatment of snakebites?
A. A negative pressure venom extraction device is often helpful
B. Incision across the fang marks is typically recommended
C. Limiting venom spread may be deleterious in pit viper evenomation
D. Tourniquets are routinely indicated

Answers:
D. White males account for most victims. Most snakebites occur in individuals aged 18-28 years, with most bites located on an extremity, especially the hand. The vast majority of reported snakebites occur from April to October.

B. Neuromuscular blockade and respiratory distress are more common with coral snakes. Soft pitting edema generally develops over 6-12 hours but may start within 5 minutes. Early and intense pain implies significant envenomation.

D.If no symptoms occur within 8-12 hours, no evenomation may have occurred. This is called a dry bite. At least 25% of viper bites are dry, but as many as 50% may be venomous. Copperhead bites are generally limited to localized tissue destruction. Rattlesnakes can cause both localized symptoms and systemic toxicity. Cobra bites frequently do not result in envenomation and are so-called dry bites.

C. In some studies no benefit was demonstrated when a negative pressure venom extraction device was evaluated; additional injury can result. Incision across fang marks is not recommended. Mouth suction is contraindicated. Lymphatic constriction bands and pressure immobilization techniques may inhibit the spread of venom, but whether they improve outcome is not clear. Limiting venom spread actually may be deleterious for pit viper envenomation if it increases local necrosis or compartment pressure. Tourniquets are not recommended.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Snake Bite
Got hit by a cottonmouth when I was 11.  Trippy. GPS were super paranoid about canebrake and pygmy rattlers, that and coral snakes. Beautiful, the latter, only ever saw one in my life.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
As a lad in FL who used to scare my mother by capturing black racers and indigo snakes, I was quizzed on the coral vs. king snake rhyme.

"Red on yellow will kill a fellow. Red on Black is a friend to Jack."

"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
ANY information on how to deal with venomous snakes is good to have. I confess to employing the old-school method of Running And Shrieking Like A Six Year Old Girl, Wild Arm-Flailing Optional But Recommended.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 21, 2017 at 4:57 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: ANY information on how to deal with venomous snakes is good to have.  I confess to employing the old-school method of Running And Shrieking Like A Six Year Old Girl, Wild Arm-Flailing Optional But Recommended.

Boru

excepting the one eyed trouser snake variety, of course . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(January 21, 2017 at 5:00 pm)vorlon13 Wrote:
(January 21, 2017 at 4:57 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: ANY information on how to deal with venomous snakes is good to have.  I confess to employing the old-school method of Running And Shrieking Like A Six Year Old Girl, Wild Arm-Flailing Optional But Recommended.

Boru

excepting the one eyed trouser snake variety, of course . . . .

Fair point. Unlike yourself, I've only had experience with one particular OETS, but that one seems pretty friendly. I'm quite attached to it.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Yeah, working at the nature preserve, we had all four types of North American venomous snakes present, three of which I've observed myself -- have yet to see a copperhead.

More people dies of bee stings in Australia than of snakes or spiders. True.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Looking at the answer to 1, I'm guessing the quiz is specifically aimed the US.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New viper snake species found frankiej 10 4993 January 12, 2012 at 10:10 am
Last Post: leo-rcc