Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12 Unbelievably Bad Marketers in Jerusalem
12 Unbelievably Bad Marketers in Jerusalem
If you believe that Jesus existed, you would have to say that he could not of picked 12 worse marketers of his supposed ministry if he tried. These 2 dimensional dummies were just made up as his fall guys and made very little impact in the society that they were supposed to evangelise. After Jesus's death, over 80 cults sprang up in the area over the next couple of centuries. Some of the more prominent were Simonians, Montanists, Marcionites (Marcion was also a docetist, he wrote the first type of Bible), Ebionites, and Phibionites. 

How could people so easily be converted away from Christianity when the "truth" was firmly known and confirmed by all the miracles, resurrection and ascension?

Regarding the disciples, Paul never calls them by that name, and is silent on Jesus's ministry and life before the trial. He only knows of him via an apparition, even after speaking with a couple of the the disciples whom he calls apostles. Hardly anything is known about their lives, where they were born and what became of them after the resurrection. Only two of them have their deaths recorded in the Bible: James, whom Herod killed “with the sword” (Acts 12:2) and Judas Iscariot, who either hanged himself or fell and burst open - which ever contradictory account you believe in.
RE: 12 Unbelievably Bad Marketers in Jerusalem
I've heard that most of the disciples were martyred for their faith (I have a link about this but I'm too new to post it.) I don't know where this information comes from, since it doesn't come from the Bible.

When I speak to Christians, they say no one would die for a scam and therefore the stories about Jesus must be true. Thoughts?
(January 21, 2017 at 8:57 pm)phoenix31 Wrote: I've heard that most of the disciples were martyred for their faith (I have a link about this but I'm too new to post it.) I don't know where this information comes from, since it doesn't come from the Bible.

When I speak to Christians, they say no one would die for a scam and therefore the stories about Jesus must be true. Thoughts?

Xtians are pretty fucking stupid.

[Image: 9-11-toomuchnews-com-1-21vu212.jpg]
(January 21, 2017 at 8:57 pm)phoenix31 Wrote: I've heard that most of the disciples were martyred for their faith (I have a link about this but I'm too new to post it.) I don't know where this information comes from, since it doesn't come from the Bible.

People love to die for causes.  It's one of their favorite things to do. All that's necessary is for one guy to get on a soap box and feed them a line of BS (it doesn't really matter what the BS is) and they are eager to go die for it.  Throw in a line about how special they are and how they will gain eternal life and there's no stopping them.

Yes, they are very firm about that, but as you say, nothing is recorded in the Bible about it. If the story was true they would have left behind a wealth of information. I think that if they were really the first team of marketers, they failed badly. Lazarus should have been their poster boy, but he just vanished after his story was told too.
(January 21, 2017 at 8:57 pm)phoenix31 Wrote: [edit]

Marshall Applewhite, Heavens Gate, nuff said.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Quote:When I speak to Christians, they say no one would die for a scam and therefore the stories about Jesus must be true. Thoughts?

This is ludicrous on the face of it. Whether someone dies for a particular belief (not just Christianity), it speaks more to the sincerity with which the belief is held than it does to the truth of the belief. I have no doubt that martyred Christians truly, deeply, sincerely believed in what they were dying for, but that doesn't lend credence to Jesus being the redeemer of humanity or walking on water or healing lepers with a touch or withering fig trees or any of the rest of it.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Imagine meeting a very, very joyouslly excited man who could not wait to tell you a story. He tells you about a man who turned an office water cooler into wine, brought a rotting corpse back to life, caused a herd of pigs to drown themselves, attacked a group of bankers with a whip, healed cancers and blindness with a touch, and is volunteering to be tortured to death so I can be relieved of the burdens of my human weaknesses.All I have to do is drop my job and responsibilities and this fellow will take me to this magical man. Aside from considering  the potential of having a friend who can make water into wine and terrorize bankers I would move as far away from this crazy person as possible. Why  should I lend this absurd tale any credence simply because it comes from the iron age?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Jim Jones wasn't a scammer? There are a myriad of miriads of accounts of people being lead to their deaths by conmen and charlatans. There is no evidence that on at least some levels christianities are much different.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(January 22, 2017 at 9:42 am)Tazzycorn Wrote:

Jim Jones wasn't a scammer?  There are a myriad of miriads of accounts of people being lead to their deaths by conmen and charlatans. There is no evidence that on at least some levels christianities are much different.

I've always wondered about all the Christians that recanted on threat of death.  Its funny you don't seem to hear about them.  Also the proportion of who recanted and who chose martyrdom.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video #2 Why bad things happen to Good people. Drich 13 1639 January 6, 2020 at 11:05 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  "Good" & "Bad" Christians? Fake Messiah 153 9247 August 27, 2019 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Bad News For Evangelicals Minimalist 62 6182 November 15, 2018 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why Lust is bad, not gonna use "sin" reason but logical reason Rispri 27 5458 March 4, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Do You Need a Hug This Bad? chimp3 40 4326 July 13, 2016 at 5:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  So is crucifiction a bad or a good thing? Longhorn 75 21988 December 17, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Not a bad article. Minimalist 9 2354 November 28, 2015 at 3:13 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Suppose I Did something Bad Rhondazvous 45 7746 October 17, 2015 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Bad/Good Things That Happen Without the Aid of a Deity Nope 30 9718 June 11, 2015 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Why be Bad? KUSA 31 5952 May 29, 2015 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: KUSA