Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US announces withdrawal from TPP
US announces withdrawal from TPP
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/01/21/...ml?m=false

I for one am happy that Trump followed through with this campaign promise. TPP was a disaster for personal freedoms.
RE: US announces withdrawal from TPP
I agree. I'm not opposed to trade deals in general, but there is much not to like with TPP. The delay for introducing competitive generic prescription medication bothers me. I'm also not fond of the investor to state dispute resolution provision. Nowhere does it attempt to enforce labor law in Mexico, Vietnam or Malaysia. It's terrible.
Well we can give credit for a stopped clock being right occasionally, so we can also give credit to Trump for being right occasionally. But the big question is, what is he going to replace it with?
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(January 22, 2017 at 11:14 am)Tazzycorn Wrote: Well we can give credit for a stopped clock being right occasionally, so we can also give credit to Trump for being right occasionally. But the big question is, what is he going to replace it with?

A huuuuge deal for America.
TPP is a geopolitical initiative, not a trade initiative. Trade was the medium, not the end.  Unless the US can rapidly replace TPP, trump just handed a huge geopolitical win to china.

Given the importance of the west pacific rim, If the TPP is not replaced, china will be able to leverage the dominant trade position in that area handed to it by trump to succeed the US world wide, and the US will never be able to reclaim its historic role as chief guarantor of liberal international commerce and trade after trump.
(January 22, 2017 at 11:18 am)Tiberius Wrote:
(January 22, 2017 at 11:14 am)Tazzycorn Wrote: Well we can give credit for a stopped clock being right occasionally, so we can also give credit to Trump for being right occasionally. But the big question is, what is he going to replace it with?

A huuuuge deal for America.

Yuuuuge.
(January 22, 2017 at 11:32 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: TPP is a geopolitical initiative, not a trade initiative. Trade was the medium, not the end.  Unless the US can rapidly replace TPP, trump just handed a huge geopolitical win to china.

Given the importance of the west pacific rim, If the TPP is not replaced, china will be able to leverage the dominant trade position in that area handed to it by trump to succeed the US world wide, and the US will never be able to reclaim its historic role as chief guarantor of liberal international commerce and trade after trump.

Exactly this.

This was possibly a win for large businesses, but unless it gets negotiated again, the other countries involved are going to have unprecedented negotiating power against the US. Prices at WalMart and Target are going to go up noticeably.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Meanwhile, the WLB is worrying about some artificial islands in the South China Sea
Yeah, it seemed to me that the main purpose of TPP wasn't necessarily to create a large free-trade zone, but to erect an economic cordon sanitaire around China. That's by the wayside now.

You mean China probably played Trump for a fool? Surely not.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pelosi announces impeachment investigation. onlinebiker 41 5106 October 7, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Figbash
  trump announces his bid for reelection! Drich 154 14279 July 18, 2019 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Trump administration announces conscience and religious freedom HHS Division Divinity 91 9472 January 22, 2018 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  TPP is dead dyresand 14 1845 November 18, 2016 at 11:08 am
Last Post: KUSA
  The Resident just signed the TPP treaty professor 7 2478 October 20, 2013 at 12:29 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  National Atheist Party Announces 4 Scholarships m.condon 0 935 March 7, 2012 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: m.condon