Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I still call "Arnhem Land" home!
I still call "Arnhem Land" home!
This Thursday over here is Australia day...

Quote:"Australia Day is the official National Day of Australia. Celebrated annually on 26 January, it marks the anniversary of the 1788 arrival of the First Fleet of British Ships at Port Jackson, New South Wales, and the raising of the Flag of Great Britain at Sydney Cove by Governor Arthur Phillip."

A couple of indigenous people were on the ABC today and would rather call it Invasion Day!
Suffice to say, 5 minutes later they broke out with a sing song to promote their new album...lol!

As an Aussie, should I hang my head in shame for the unconscionable actions of our forefathers, or should we shoot the remaining aborigines for having the gall to remind us and hurt our delicate sensibilities! lol!

What do? This also applies to most countries, I s'pose...
My instincts tell me, fuck it, it happened in the bad old days, the world has moved on, so should you ...but my other insticts tell me (yell, I have a spare set), it might have been long ago, but to them, who've been here 50,000 years, this only happened yesterday! The slaughter, rape and misplacement of countless indigenous people and their culture just so Qantas can sing: I still call Australia home!   Shy
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: I still call "Arnhem Land" home!
The US still celebrates Columbus Day. Hell, for some it's a paid holiday.

When oh when will we get around to celebrating Small Pox Blanket Day?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 23, 2017 at 1:22 am)ignoramus Wrote: As an Aussie, should I hang my head in shame for the unconscionable actions of our forefathers, or should we shoot the remaining aborigines for having the gall to remind us and hurt our delicate sensibilities! lol!

As always, the purpose is to remember, not to feel shame. Around the globe we have several reasons to remember, to not repeat what our ancestors did. To forget is a sure road to repetition. Now more than ever, given all the turdheads cropping up in a toilet that hasn't been flushed since 1945.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(January 23, 2017 at 1:22 am)ignoramus Wrote: ...
As an Aussie, should I hang my head in shame for the unconscionable actions of our forefathers, or should we shoot the remaining aborigines for having the gall to remind us and hurt our delicate sensibilities! lol!

Whatever you do, do NOT ask the Americans
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
I would have thought that we are a mature intelligent bunch and can handle these types of topics...

But I know what you mean ... Trying to explain that guns are bad is like stealing the bacon off their plates!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(January 23, 2017 at 11:15 am)mh.brewer Wrote: The US still celebrates Columbus Day. Hell, for some it's a paid holiday.

When oh when will we get around to celebrating Small Pox Blanket Day?

There's actually a push-back against that. People are trying to replace it with Indigenous People's Day in some areas.
(January 23, 2017 at 1:22 am)ignoramus Wrote: This Thursday over here is Australia day...

Quote:"Australia Day is the official National Day of Australia. Celebrated annually on 26 January, it marks the anniversary of the 1788 arrival of the First Fleet of British Ships at Port Jackson, New South Wales, and the raising of the Flag of Great Britain at Sydney Cove by Governor Arthur Phillip."

A couple of indigenous people were on the ABC today and would rather call it Invasion Day!
Suffice to say, 5 minutes later they broke out with a sing song to promote their new album...lol!

What do? This also applies to most countries, I s'pose...
My instincts tell me, fuck it, it happened in the bad old days, the world has moved on, so should you ...but my other insticts tell me (yell, I have a spare set), it might have been long ago, but to them, who've been here 50,000 years, this only happened yesterday! The slaughter, rape and misplacement of countless indigenous people and their culture just so Qantas can sing: I still call Australia home!   Shy

You should come back to the aul' sod, and stop stealing sheep.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Heard on the ABC yesterday that the average house price in Melbourne is now $800,000!

New Zealand, here I come!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anti-immigration..does Right wing still fools masses? WinterHold 106 4755 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why do non english speaking countries call USA for USA Sweden83 9 1111 December 4, 2020 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Who Still Thinks Joe Biden Will Be The Nomine? ReptilianPeon 90 6542 March 11, 2020 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Voting living in no man's land. Brian37 4 608 November 5, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  And TheTrumptard Will Still Not Care.... Minimalist 8 1061 August 1, 2018 at 6:58 am
Last Post: Aroura
  Evidently, we're still living in 1974... Rev. Rye 25 4285 June 4, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  We may have different points of view but can we still be friends? GODZILLA 26 3701 May 30, 2018 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  You Were Stupid. Will You Still Be Stupid in 2020? Minimalist 39 5096 May 15, 2018 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  When I Call Someone Like Farenthold a Fucktard - I Mean It Minimalist 2 617 December 14, 2017 at 12:56 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Why Are We Still In Afghanistan? Minimalist 12 3802 June 19, 2017 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: NuclearEnergy