Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Narcissistic Personality Disorder
I've told people before about my belief that Trump suffers from this disorder but most people think I'm either joking or just trying to insult Trump. In fact, I'm completely serious about this.

The Mayo clinic gives this description:

Quote:Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for admiration and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of ultraconfidence lies a fragile self-esteem that's vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

Here are the symptoms from the Mayo clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-condi...n-20025568
  • Having an exaggerated sense of self-importance
  • Expecting to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
  • Exaggerating your achievements and talents
  • Being preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
  • Believing that you are superior and can only be understood by or associate with equally special people
  • Requiring constant admiration
  • Having a sense of entitlement
  • Expecting special favors and unquestioning compliance with your expectations
  • Taking advantage of others to get what you want
  • Having an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
  • Being envious of others and believing others envy you
  • Behaving in an arrogant or haughty manner
Note that it's not necessary to have every symptom to be considered as having the disorder but it is remarkable how many of these traits Trump has.

Just today Trump continues to push an obvious lie that 3 to 5 million voted illegally and that's why he didn't win the popular vote. His own team can't understand why he brings this back up now since he won anyway and it just makes him look stupid and undermines his credibility. However, it makes perfect sense if this disorder is present.

Today they also brought up the tapes of Trump when he pretended to be his own publicist, used a fake name, and bragged endlessly about "Donald", which is strange behavior unless you consider NPD as the cause.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwsH9g9t8XY

So what do you think? 
Since I joined here I've been very clear that I don't subscribe to either liberal of conservative ideology but for those Trump supporters, doesn't this bother you even a bit?
If god was real he wouldn't need middle men to explain his wants or do his bidding.
RE: Narcissistic Personality Disorder
I can't argue with the diagnosis and agree that Trump can reasonably be said to have most traits. The problem is that anyone seeking significant positions of power will have most of these traits. I almost think that it's a prerequisite for high office.
Whether you're left wing or right wing, pro trump or anti trump, these are the facts.

This guy (Donald Trump) had every major celebrity in hollywood going against him, people on television full on laughing at the idea of this man being president.
President Obama mocked Trump at a dinner party, I think some of the jokes were even about Donald never being president. then a couple of years later Donald took his job.

I don't know anyone who wouldn't get at least a little ego boost from that.  Someone who can say "I had the president mocking me, George Clooney, all the major pop stars and actors in hollywood making fun of me, took me a couple of years to take the president's job."

What other standard things make a guys ego blow up?  Having a good looking girlfriend, he's got that.  Money, he's got that.  Fancy cars, good job.  I don't know much about his kids but I think he's succeeded in having fairly competant kids, they're a good looking bunch too.

Considering all the factors of his life I'd say he's actually pretty humble.  Some guys go walking around as if they're god if they get a little promotion in work or success with a girl, this guy's got, or at least had model girlfriends and took the president's job.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

OP, agree with the disclaimer that having the disorder does not necessarily equate to what is considered mental illness.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
From the DSM V:
Quote:The essential features of a personality disorder are impairments in
personality (self and interpersonal) functioning and the presence of
pathological personality traits. To diagnose a personality disorder,
the following criteria must be met:
A.
Significant impairments in self (identity or self-
direction) and interpersonal (empathy or intimacy) functioning.
. . . . .

Trump doesn't appear dysfunctional. What's your point here?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 24, 2017 at 9:32 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: From the DSM V:
Quote:The essential features of a personality disorder are impairments in
personality (self and interpersonal) functioning and the presence of
pathological personality traits. To diagnose a personality disorder,
the following criteria must be met:
A.
Significant impairments in self (identity or self-
direction) and interpersonal (empathy or intimacy) functioning.
. . . . .

Trump doesn't appear dysfunctional.  What's your point here?

I'd hate to see your definition of dysfunctional.

“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
(January 24, 2017 at 9:06 pm)Cato Wrote: I can't argue with the diagnosis and agree that Trump can reasonably be said to have most traits. The problem is that anyone seeking significant positions of power will have most of these traits. I almost think that it's a prerequisite for high office.

Agreed. That's why it's so hard to find a politician that is a good, down to earth, genuine person.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I should also note that I actually compared Trump's behaviour with the diagnostic criteria for Anti-Social Personality Disorder, and he had the dubious honour of fulfilling EVERY SINGLE SYMPTOM.

With his blatantly Machiavellian business practices, it's safe to assume that he eats, sleeps, and breathes the Dark Triad.

That said, Cato has a point that such traits tend to be part and parcel for politicians, especially the successful ones.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
One thing to point out is that NPD is hard to diagnose because persons said to have the disorder need to admit they have it, which they never admit to. Additionally, there is no known treatment for it since anyone who does have it, refuses to get treated for something they don't believe they have.

Persons with NPD are often addicts of some sort. Whether it's an addiction to drugs, alcohol, poor spending habits (making financially destructive decisions for themselves or causing their victims to lose everything they've worked so hard for) or something else, addiction is a clear indicator of this disorder as well. Trump has filed for bankruptcy numerous times where his businesses are concerned, so that is that. But that alone doesn't make him a qualifying case for having NPD.

He's got four years to ruin America financially. With both the House and the Senate GOP controlled, I'm sure it won't even take that long.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
You can't really diagnose people having never spoken to them. Especially if you're not a psychiatrist. Double especially if you're taking your information from the Internet.