Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists, I want to know your explanation for these Out of body experiences?
Atheists, I want to know your explanation for these Out of body experiences?
I wanted to know what you think about OBEs. There have been a few cases that seem difficult to debunk. 
Dr. Peter Fenwick has delt with thousands of OBEs in Near Death and says that patients sometimes have been able to "float" to another room and get information of what other people behind closed doors said. Then, they verify it.
One man was floating above his body, found a baby crying in another room. He was apparently able to talk to the baby, found out the baby had a broken arm. Then, when he was revived, he checked with doctors, and it turned out the baby's limb was broken.
Here is a video which claims there is life after death:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeM4m_4dWeA

How can so many people accurately describe what occurs when they have a dying brain or a brain that is dead? It seems like a poorly functioning brain cannot do this. Do you think that these examples I provide, albeit anecdotal, potentially prove a soul exists?
How did Dr. Fenwick find so many cases if they are just coincidences?
RE: Atheists, I want to know your explanation for these Out of body experiences?
Because the human brain responds relatively predictably when deprived of oxygen?
Because this doctor a priori dismisses literally any physiological or psychological explanations for these phenomena?
Dr. Robert Todd Carroll Wrote:I don't think these "scientists" should be so quick to dismiss psychological and physiological explanations. The patients are administered an anesthesia and are most likely given other drugs as well. Can they really be so sure that the physiological changes due to cardiac arrest in addition to these drugs don't affect some people in such a way that they dream or hallucinate what they report as an NDE? They seem to know that they can't dismiss every case of anoxia, hypercardia or temporal lobe seizure as different from NDEs in "narrative quality."
http://www.skepdic.com/refuge/bunk16.html
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
RE: Atheists, I want to know your explanation for these Out of body experiences?
Astral travelling was debunked in the 70's from memory...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I think they are they are nonsense.

My explanation is that they are the product of wishful thinking, false or manufactured testimony, and faulty scientific investigation.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Again? You should know that LySergic acid Diethilamine is a thing. That can put stuff into perspective.
(January 25, 2017 at 12:50 am)arda101 Wrote: I wanted to know what you think about OBEs. There have been a few cases that seem difficult to debunk. 
Dr. Peter Fenwick has delt with thousands of OBEs in Near Death and says that patients sometimes have been able to "float" to another room and get information of what other people behind closed doors said. Then, they verify it.
One man was floating above his body, found a baby crying in another room. He was apparently able to talk to the baby, found out the baby had a broken arm. Then, when he was revived, he checked with doctors, and it turned out the baby's limb was broken.
Here is a video which claims there is life after death:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeM4m_4dWeA

How can so many people accurately describe what occurs when they have a dying brain or a brain that is dead? It seems like a poorly functioning brain cannot do this. Do you think that these examples I provide, albeit anecdotal, potentially prove a soul exists?
How did Dr. Fenwick find so many cases if they are just coincidences?

We don't have to disprove them, you have to prove that they're anything but mundane.
Even if all we could say is "I don't know," that doesn't support a conclusion of any kind.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(January 25, 2017 at 9:17 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: We don't have to disprove them, you have to prove that they're anything but mundane.

This ^^

A third-hand reporting of second-hand anecdotes plus a shifting of the burden of proof, with a yt video for added fibre? And you wonder why I'm not exactly convinced? I'm more interested in why the OP apparently does find this shit convincing. I bet it's not flattering, whatever it is.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
arda101 Wrote:I wanted to know what you think about OBEs. There have been a few cases that seem difficult to debunk. 

You and I have different standards on what constitutes 'difficult to debunk'.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
What is there to debunk? These are not experiments by any scientific standards, no control, no reproducibility, no predictability and are not falsifiable either as they are just anecdotes.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do we only do things we want to do? DodosAreDead 9 1104 November 19, 2018 at 12:41 am
Last Post: tackattack
  These guys have ALL the answers Dr H 3 542 November 13, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  How do we know what we know? Aegon 15 1894 October 22, 2018 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Question about Near Death Experiences Mirek-Polska 36 5432 February 11, 2017 at 10:55 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  What God is to the Universe is what your mind is to your body fdesilva 172 18571 August 23, 2016 at 7:33 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do you ever wish you could just say "these people should be killed" DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 50 6932 November 27, 2015 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: DespondentFishdeathMasochismo
  How do you punish people that want to die? ReptilianPeon 16 3987 July 5, 2015 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  "Everything has a cause and an explanation" discussion. Pizza 66 15011 February 22, 2015 at 11:59 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Sex- A language of Body and Reproduction Urge Khansins 13 2306 November 20, 2014 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  I want your honest answer. Zidneya 27 4617 September 22, 2014 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie