Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something Just for the AF family
Something Just for the AF family
I've created a test about logical fallacy. Members can come and test their knowledge. It has 21 hypothetical quotations and members choose from 5 multiple choice items which fallacy is being committed. I got the scoring and functionality to work, but I'd like someone to double check to make sure my information (which fallacies go with which quotations and the definition of the fallacies) is correct. I got the info from Wikipedia and other web sources, so it should be okay. But I'd still like to have some peer review If you have time to do this, please hop over.

Please don't share this with anyone unless for further peer review purposes. It is still in beta and not ready to go public. If you like it then and I finish putting all the icing on the cake, you can pin it to the top of the philosophy forum or whatever you like. It runs on a simple php script that I created and the test itself is for the AF family.

http://rhondadenisejohnson.com/LogicChal...eform.html

I will include a cheat sheet for those who aren't familiiar with or want to brush up on logical fallacies. I call it a cheat shoot, but to us it you have to read it, so even while a person thinks they're cheating, they're learning.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Something Just for the AF damily
You need someone smarter than I.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
"You atheists are such evil people" is not an ad hominem.

There are other errors here but mostly because hardly any of the statements are actually arguments so logical fallacies don't apply.
Stuff like "all angels have wings" and "the sabbath has always been on a Sunday" are statements / claims not arguments.

"Prove to me that God exists" is a challenge, not an argument.
You need an if such and such then such and such because such and such.
(January 25, 2017 at 6:45 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Stuff like "all angels have wings" and "the sabbath has always been on a Sunday" are statements / claims not arguments.

"Prove to me that God exists" is a challenge, not an argument.
How would you define an argument?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

Ew, that green background needs to go.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 25, 2017 at 7:05 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: You need an if such and such then such and such because such and such.
That could work for some types of fallacies. I will work with it. I was trying to use the kind of things people (xtians) here actually say. they don't talk in formal syllogisms. I'm open to your input. This could be a joint venture. Is you want to provide the arguments. I'll just add them to the script.

--Voltaire

Well I guess the exception is with non-sequitur. If you have an if X then Y that makes no sense at all and does not follow like.... "If Jesus performed miracles then all atheists are evil" then that would be an example of a non-sequitur.

But when it comes to other fallacies the 'because' aspect provides the reasoning that is fallacious and the particular fallacious reason that is used corresponds with the fallacy that it is.

http://www.logicallyfallacious.com is a good source for examples.
(January 26, 2017 at 12:01 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Well I guess the exception is with non-sequitur. If you have an if X then Y that makes no sense at all and does not follow like.... "If Jesus performed miracles then all atheists are evil" then that would be an example of a non-sequitur.

But when it comes to other fallacies the 'because' aspect provides the reasoning that is fallacious and the particular fallacious reason that is used corresponds with the fallacy that it is.

http://www.logicallyfallacious.com is a good source for examples.
Ah wow I can work with this, and work it I shall. Give me a couple days.

--Voltaire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do we get something special? Foxaèr 12 1606 May 21, 2021 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Possibly something wrong with rating? tackattack 5 1284 November 19, 2018 at 1:48 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  I want to post about a family member anonymously hogwash 24 3989 August 7, 2015 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  New forum subsection idea - Family & Parenting? Angrboda 15 3148 January 21, 2014 at 12:09 am
Last Post: c172
  Just something i noticed Mothonis 10 2911 September 17, 2013 at 7:19 am
Last Post: Mothonis