Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't exactly feel the same way I once did.
I don't exactly feel the same way I once did.
Hi. I was Ryantology. I used to post here a lot. Moderated for a little while, technically speaking (I was the laziest mod). Had some fights, called some names, and felt a lot smarter than some people because I thought differently.

Truth be told, a lot of the reason I fell away was I realized nobody is really listening to anyone. A Christian comes here looking to pick fights and trigger the angry atheists by saying things they know will draw a reaction. Then a Christian (perhaps even the same one) will attempt to describe a belief earnestly, and they are met with derision and condescension. We are smarter than they are because we aren't fooled by their ancient desert fairy tales, stuff like that. I was fully into that sort of thing, myself.

Well, I'm still an atheist. That hasn't changed. There isn't any religion for me, and there is no god who is even provisionally compatible with my understanding of the world. I still don't entertain the concept that I should reserve some sliver of possibility for such things, either. But, I feel like perhaps I was badly mistaken to present myself the way I did, to engage with others as I often did, and think highly of myself for it, as I usually did. And at no point did I think to ask why a Christian believes what they believe in the face of what appears to be comprehensive evidence rendering that belief not just invalid, but the believer an idiot for believing. That's not trying to learn, nor is it trying to educate. It's two fans of two rival sports teams going at it with just a few vital differences in rhetoric.

But, if I accept the fact that no person chooses to be attracted to someone who shares their gender as a common trait, I must also accept the fact that no person chooses to believe in something. There are reasons external to that person which inspire that belief. As someone who started on the other side of the fence and then climbed over, I should know that it probably never happens as the result of being ground into dust by someone in an online fistfight.

I've wanted to say this for a long time. And I haven't said it to shame anyone, least of all myself. It's just what the last couple of years have done to me.
RE: I don't exactly feel the same way I once did.
Sounds like a couple of years well spent.
Welcome back. ?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Welcome (again suppose)

Thou fair warning things are bit tense
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

I remember you from my Ivy/Fruity days. Welcome back. Shy
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
Welcome back! I whole agree that belief or lack thereof is something that happens to us, not something we chose, so we shouldn't hold it against people or hold others up as superior.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Welcome back matey...
You certainly spawned some long story threads about one of your last dreamscape weird arse posts! Lol!
WTAF was that all about! It was entertaining to say the least!

Our protagonist was called Mr Copperbottom! Something about following a string? Dunno hehe
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Welcome back.
Hello, Ryan.  Welcome back.
I 'member you! Not the aforementioned dream, though.

WB!
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you feel about all these creationists? suddenlymark 32 3309 August 15, 2023 at 8:01 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? Ferrocyanide 177 10531 January 1, 2022 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  We are all the same species.. Brian37 32 3192 July 22, 2019 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The obsession with exactly two levels robvalue 12 1441 September 17, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Religion and health - not exactly what we've been told.... Angrboda 4 733 July 22, 2018 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Question Does anyone else feel disgusted by religious words? Der/die AtheistIn 63 11562 January 17, 2018 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  How do you call someone who is religious only because it makes them feel happy? Der/die AtheistIn 38 7420 November 25, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: c172
  Religion was once again showed down my throat Der/die AtheistIn 13 2736 October 1, 2017 at 7:07 am
Last Post: Succubus
  How Do Christians Feel About the Testimony of Muslims and Vice Versa? Rhondazvous 24 4537 September 22, 2017 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7880 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus