Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump's Muslim immigration ban includes green card holders
Trump's Muslim immigration ban includes green card holders
http://thehill.com/policy/national-secur...ers-report

Quote:President Trump’s executive order banning people from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the U.S. also applies to green card holders from those countries, the Department of Homeland Security said Saturday.

"It will bar green card holders," acting DHS spokeswoman Gillian Christensen told Reuters.

Green cards serve as proof of an individual’s permanent legal residence in the U.S.

Trump signed an executive action Friday halting the country’s Syrian refugee resettlement program and barring people from certain Muslim-majority countries from traveling to the U.S. for 120 days.

The administration says the halt in the resettlement program is designed to give it time to tighten the vetting process for refugees. The order also gives Christian refugees priority in the resettlement process.

“If you were a Muslim you could come in, but if you were a Christian, it was almost impossible and the reason that was so unfair, everybody was persecuted in all fairness, but they were chopping off the heads of everybody but more so the Christians,” Trump said in an interview with Christian Broadcasting Network on Friday. “And I thought it was very, very unfair,” he continued. “So we are going to help them.”

A Pew Research Center report found that the U.S. admitted nearly equal number of Muslim and Christian refugees in 2016.

As a candidate, Trump campaigned on a promise of cracking down on the country’s refugee program, arguing that terrorists could hide among refugees as a way of gaining entrance to the U.S.

At different points, he also called for a temporary ban on all Muslims entering the country and the creation of a Muslim registry.

Can somebody explain how the hell this is legal?
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
RE: Trump's Muslim immigration ban includes green card holders
(January 28, 2017 at 1:33 pm)Aegon Wrote: Can somebody explain how the hell this is legal?

It shouldn't be. It's discrimination on the basis of religion. This is a major violation of human rights. If he had kept this to foreigners in general, I wouldn't be able to call him out as easily, but this is just too obvious at this point. Is he even trying to be subtle about this anymore, or does he just not care?
There's already an international shitstorm brewing, since he openly breaks international laws. Apart from several countries already saying that they will extend the same courtesy to US citizens unti the ban is lifted. Seeing as US corporations have business interests in many of the now banned countries, I doubt that Trump will make many friends in the Republican party.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The hits just keep coming...
David Bier (libertarian immigration expert at the Cato Institute) doesn't think the executive order is legal: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/27/opini...legal.html
He's not the only one.  A bevy of legal (and constitutional) challenges are being prepared.  The Trumpster is trying to return to his original "fuck mexicans and muslims" message in light of his embarrassing popularity, and in doing so is screwing the pooch entirely.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 28, 2017 at 3:48 pm)Tiberius Wrote: David Bier (libertarian immigration expert at the Cato Institute) doesn't think the executive order is legal: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/27/opini...legal.html

When I find myself siding  with the Cato Institute on something  it's dark days indeed

And the as has pointed out elsewhere the countries he has chosen for the ban it's make no sense at all
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(January 28, 2017 at 1:38 pm)Jesster Wrote:
(January 28, 2017 at 1:33 pm)Aegon Wrote: Can somebody explain how the hell this is legal?

It shouldn't be. It's discrimination on the basis of religion. This is a major violation of human rights. If he had kept this to foreigners in general, I wouldn't be able to call him out as easily, but this is just too obvious at this point. Is he even trying to be subtle about this anymore, or does he just not care?

What was it he said or did in the last ~18 months that made you think he was in any way subtle or gave a fuck? :|
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(January 28, 2017 at 4:12 pm)Iroscato Wrote: What was it he said or did in the last ~18 months that made you think he was in any way subtle or gave a fuck? :|

This however could bring him in direct opposition to House Republicans. Iran already said, it would answer in kind and not allow any US citizens in. I guess the other countries on the list will follow suit. So, since Iraq is also on that list, far as I know, this could bring on a pretty delicate situation, since American business interests are directly threatened if Americans can no longer cross certain borders.

He may not give a fuck, but I'm pretty sure, there's a fuck to be given by corporate republicans.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Wow, really??

That's awful.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Head of WHO plays the "Race Card." Can you guess if he's black looking? Duty 9 722 April 14, 2022 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
Shocked Immigration Agents Whipping Hatian Migrants? onlinebiker 77 2597 October 8, 2021 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  California High Capacity Magazine Ban Shot Down. onlinebiker 73 2418 August 25, 2020 at 1:37 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Not All US Republicans Are Against Illegal Immigration BrianSoddingBoru4 4 531 June 27, 2020 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  BREAKING:The exclusion of the UK and non-Schengen countries like Ireland from the ban WinterHold 6 742 March 14, 2020 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Is this debate about legal vs illegal immigration or white vs brown immigrants? Aegon 66 5242 August 25, 2019 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  California ban on high capacity magazines declared unconstitutional popeyespappy 178 10323 May 3, 2019 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Baltimore poised to become first major city to ban privatization of water Aegon 9 686 August 8, 2018 at 9:51 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  BREAKING: SCOTUS Upholds Trump Travel Ban A Theist 18 2667 June 27, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  "Kill the fetus" ban lifted in Ireland Foxaèr 50 4578 May 28, 2018 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie