Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am about to ask a serious but utterly reprehensible question
I am about to ask a serious but utterly reprehensible question
In all genuine honesty...and I just came up with this today, and someone making a threat about hell in one of the threads convinced me it has to be asked. Please, don't hate me, this is not done out of malice or perversion, and is simply a ghastly version of a reductio ad absurdum.

To any person who will tell a child that they are a miserable sinner and deserving of an eternity of fiery torment - regardless of how easy they claim it will be to avoid this (and remember, you still deserve it, you've just been given undeserved mercy via salvation, right? You're still scum but they let you into the country club) - what is stopping you from saying that child deserves to be, say, raped? Surely flesh-searing torment without end is a worse fate, and surely some lava-skinned demon down there is going to get their hands on you at some point, right? So why would you say one and not the other, if one is far, far worse and yet can't be experienced on earth?

I expect the answers will disregard the fact that we are disregarding salvation, and be flimsy excuses at best rather than actual answers. If this does not prove once and for all anyone who ever introduces the concept of hell to a child is no different from a predator, nothing will.

If this was a step too far, just delete it. I'm so disgusted with religious people right now, I can't even separate them from their faith.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
RE: I am about to ask a serious but utterly reprehensible question
I get where you're coming from with this. Honestly, the only difference I've ever seen is what their god says they deserve. The only reason they don't believe people deserve to be raped is because their book doesn't say that. If it did, they would jump to that just as easily.

Of course, they always seem to say that it's not them making the judgement; it's their god. They just happen to worship that god anyway. Even if I did believe that a god existed, I wouldn't have anything to do with anyone who made that kind of judgement. It's sick.
Didn't the admin just put a ban on clickbait topics titles?
* * *  Something something dark side  * * *
Fundamentalist Christians preach that bad things happen to us when god removes his protection from us. That would include a child being raped.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

It's the difference between a potential fantasy punishment and a potential reality victim crime. It's the devil they don't really know vs the devil that they do.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
The Jewish Babylonian Talmud has a lot of stuff that approves of baby raping and sees nothing wrong with it.
(January 28, 2017 at 6:43 pm)Jesster Wrote: Of course, they always seem to say that it's not them making the judgement; it's their god.

In the last little while I've been holding people to account by saying "You're the one who's communicating the threat.  You seem to think that I'm deserving of eternal torture.  Own it, or shut the fuck up."
(January 28, 2017 at 6:29 pm)Astonished Wrote: In all genuine honesty...and I just came up with this today, and someone making a threat about hell in one of the threads convinced me it has to be asked. Please, don't hate me, this is not done out of malice or perversion, and is simply a ghastly version of a reductio ad absurdum.

To any person who will tell a child that they are a miserable sinner and deserving of an eternity of fiery torment - regardless of how easy they claim it will be to avoid this (and remember, you still deserve it, you've just been given undeserved mercy via salvation, right? You're still scum but they let you into the country club) - what is stopping you from saying that child deserves to be, say, raped? Surely flesh-searing torment without end is a worse fate, and surely some lava-skinned demon down there is going to get their hands on you at some point, right? So why would you say one and not the other, if one is far, far worse and yet can't be experienced on earth?

I expect the answers will disregard the fact that we are disregarding salvation, and be flimsy excuses at best rather than actual answers. If this does not prove once and for all anyone who ever introduces the concept of hell to a child is no different from a predator, nothing will.

If this was a step too far, just delete it. I'm so disgusted with religious people right now, I can't even separate them from their faith.
She's young and unconceivable........her fruits are not ripe hehe
Christian apologists would answer thus: no one deserves to be raped because no one has the moral right to rape since rape is a sin.

Ironically, Hell is considered far worse than rape and yet one can deserve it in Christian thinking; why? Because God's punishments are JUST and DESERVED. Not comforting at all is it?
(January 28, 2017 at 7:29 pm)Thal Wrote: Didn't the admin just put a ban on clickbait topics titles?

How is this clickbait?   Huh
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello Atheists, Agnostic here, and I would love to ask you a question about NDEs Vaino-Eesti 33 5826 April 8, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Tokikot
  A serious question for theists dyresand 35 4877 November 12, 2016 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon
  Ethics question for theists - serious - looking for opinions not argument. drfuzzy 36 4776 September 27, 2016 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Theists ask me a question dyresand 34 7666 January 5, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Serious moral question for theist. dyresand 30 7338 September 1, 2015 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  [extremely serious]The Truth Behind Christianity. Stephanie113 5 2214 August 19, 2015 at 3:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why So Serious? Servatum 11 2492 November 5, 2014 at 5:50 am
Last Post: Nintentacle
Exclamation serious question dyresand 59 7560 October 30, 2014 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Voter's Guide for Serious Catholics Dolorian 22 6427 September 11, 2014 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: vodkafan
  Dear Christians... Are you F***ing serious? Proof of Blood and Ark xr34p3rx 29 15287 January 12, 2014 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: xr34p3rx