Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Reason Christians are Dangerous
Another Reason Christians are Dangerous
Maybe I should rephrase that. What Christians are being taught is dangerous. I’m not talking about the annoying stuff like our eternal destination or god helping them find their car keys. I’m talking about something that can’t be ignored.

I was talking to a guy today, a really nice guy. I’ve known him for years and he never before said anything religious to me. Until today and it was a whammy.

Today turned out pretty warm and sunny with lots of birds so I mentioned global warming. He said he didn’t believe in global warming. I asked him what he meant by that. He said god knows how the earth is going to end and nothing can happen to the earth no matter what we do to it. god controls the weather, not man.

It was the “no matter what we do to it” part that frightened me. We now have a man in the white house who holds the same opinion.

We are nearly at the point of no return now. We can’t keep this planet from turning into a global dystopia without sacrifices that few of us are willing to make. And the ones who claim that their god created this world are saying “fuck the planet.”
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Another Reason Christians are Dangerous
Regardless of whether he believes that man made climate change is a thing or not, as a Christian he should still believe he has a moral obligation to take care of the plants and creatures and planet that God created. If he doesn't, then that's his own failing.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I thought we'd already crossed the threshold for a runaway climate shift?
The permafrost is melting and the methane stores are being released.
The opportunity to bring it back has passed and we are now looking more in terms of clinging on by any means.
This is a representation of our position at this point:

Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
It's certainly a tall order to come up with a truly irrational belief that is completely benign.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
I have a theory that the Bible, which teaches Christians to worship a god that murders by drowning, that orders religious cleansing and war crimes, conditions Christians to accept authority figures that do terrible things.

This would explain why many Christians had no problem voting for Donald Trump, although he can't compare to the fictional Yahweh.
(January 30, 2017 at 11:32 pm)Industrial Lad Wrote: I have a theory that the Bible, which teaches  Christians to worship a god that murders by drowning, that orders religious cleansing and war crimes, conditions Christians to accept authority figures that do terrible things.

This would explain why many Christians had no problem voting for Donald Trump, although he can't compare to the fictional Yahweh.

I think the appeal to authority and the desire to abdicate one's own responsibility and be taken care of by another (laziness) is basically the root of it. After that, the rest just follows. This goes for morality, thought in general, everything. It's like a "Don't ask, don't think" policy.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
(January 30, 2017 at 1:56 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Maybe I should rephrase that. What Christians are being taught is dangerous.  I’m not talking about the annoying stuff like our eternal destination or god helping them find their car keys. I’m talking about something that can’t be ignored.

I was talking to a guy today, a really nice guy. I’ve known him for years and he never before said anything religious to me. Until today and it was a whammy.

Today turned out pretty warm and sunny with lots of birds so I mentioned global warming. He said he didn’t believe in global warming. I asked him what he meant by that. He said god knows how the earth is going to end and nothing can happen to the earth no matter what we do to it. god controls the weather, not man.

It was the “no matter what we do to it” part that frightened me.   We now have a man in the white house who holds the same opinion.

We are nearly at the point of no return now. We can’t keep this planet from turning into a global dystopia without sacrifices that few of us are willing to make.  And the ones who claim that their god created this world are saying “fuck the planet.”

He most likely got that from intellectual shitstain and former governor of Arkansas, Mike Huckabee, another GOP perpetual nominee for "Most Punchable Face."

Oh, and don't be silly. Trump's not so gullible as to think that god controls the weather. He thinks it's a Chinese hoax to weaken American industry. (Except when high sea levels threaten his golf course and he could receive financial compensation, of course. Then it's totally real.)
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(January 30, 2017 at 11:19 pm)Astonished Wrote: It's certainly a tall order to come up with a truly irrational belief that is completely benign.

Not a tall order at all. There's a pen here on my desk. I hold the truly irrational belief that the pen is self-aware and spends all of its time thinking up new names for cloud formations.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
With this kind of stupid logic in place, I don't know why any such Christian would ever care about anything at all. God knows what he is doing, right? Why be concerned if a maniac is caving in the skull of a child with a crowbar? It's part of god's plan, or it wouldn't be happening. Who are we to interfere?

Wait a minute. I think it's just things people don't want to care about that should be left up to God. That must be it.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 30, 2017 at 2:13 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: as a Christian he should still believe he has a moral obligation to take care of the plants and creatures and planet that God created. If he doesn't, then that's his own failing.

Actually many Christians see it as immoral not to pollute:

"The ethic of conservation is the explicit abnegation of man’s dominion over the Earth. The lower species are here for our use. God said so: Go forth, be fruitful, multiply, and rape the planet—it’s yours. That’s our job: drilling, mining and stripping…. Sweaters are the anti-Biblical view. Big gas-guzzling cars with phones and CD players and wet bars—that’s the Biblical view."
Ann Coulter from Oil good; democrats bad

So in lots of cases it's the failing of Christianity.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A question about Dawkins enemies of reason documentary Quill01 3 451 April 17, 2022 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  The reason religion is so powerful Macoleco 344 20501 June 30, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Reason Jesus must have been a real person mrj 74 9931 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  "How God got started", how god belief + basic reason + writing -> modern humans? Whateverist 26 6685 October 15, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheists Have the Most Logical Reason for being Moral Rhondazvous 24 7237 January 22, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  The only important reason I'm more powerful than god. Foxaèr 5 1936 November 13, 2015 at 4:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The reason humans believe drfuzzy 31 5736 October 10, 2015 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  The Most Dangerous Religion. Tysonic 24 4796 August 31, 2015 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Atheism is the absence of reason.. Vault Boy 49 10935 August 6, 2015 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 10855 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar