Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump summons final two SCOTUS nominees
Trump summons final two SCOTUS nominees
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/31/us/po...trump.html

Both are obviously terrible.  I hope democrats block them from getting a vote, much like the Republicans did with Garland, and planned on doing with Hillary's nominations.  They shouldn't be rewarded for their obstructionism.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
RE: Trump summons final two SCOTUS nominees
(January 31, 2017 at 8:33 pm)Cecelia Wrote: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/31/us/po...trump.html

Both are obviously terrible.  I hope democrats block them from getting a vote, much like the Republicans did with Garland, and planned on doing with Hillary's nominations.  They shouldn't be rewarded for their obstructionism.

Yup 2 "winners here"
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

I don't want to look at the asswipe gallery. I had enough bad news for the week.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
[Image: 1iqg9u.jpg]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Ima write something up about this tomorrow. My view is essentially this: we know Trump was going to pick someone with bad policies and jurisprudence (Hardiman would've been better than Gorsuch, but both are wayyy right).

*Given* that, then, I think that Gorsuch is a good enough choice. He's a very good writer, and I think he's going to be a dignified member of the bench.

There will not be a better Trump appointee, I believe. If the options are Gorsuch or four years of vacancy, I vote Gorsuch.

Then again, I'm a lawyer. The kind of lawyer who is very fond of judges. Would like to be myself one day. I give judges - federal far more than state - a lot of leeway, because I think, for the most part, they do a good job regardless of political affiliation. I will praise Gorsuch when he does something praiseworthy and castigate him when he does something wrongheaded (which I fear will be nearly as often as Scalia). But of all of the possible worlds into which the Trump election has constrained us, one in which Gorsuch is nominated and, after lengthy but meaningful debate, confirmed is likely the best of those possible worlds.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
I hope that the Democrats filibuster him.  Such will knock Trump down a peg or two.
(January 31, 2017 at 11:48 pm)Jehanne Wrote: I hope that the Democrats filibuster him.  Such will knock Trump down a peg or two.

Meh, no it won't. It'll just make the Dems look bad.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(February 1, 2017 at 12:16 am)Aegon Wrote: Meh, no it won't. It'll just make the Dems look bad.

The Republicans did it, and were willing to do it for four more years.  I doubt it'd make the Dems look bad at all.  Might make them look less like invertebrates actually.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Neil Gorsuch has been nominated. All things considered with Trump's first week, I'm relieved.
(February 1, 2017 at 12:16 am)Aegon Wrote:
(January 31, 2017 at 11:48 pm)Jehanne Wrote: I hope that the Democrats filibuster him.  Such will knock Trump down a peg or two.

Meh, no it won't. It'll just make the Dems look bad.

Perhaps, but if they aren't willing to play tit-for-tat, they'll get steamrolled by those that are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tit_for_tat

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The SCOTUS Chronicles Thumpalumpacus 33 2199 March 15, 2024 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Two things I want to talk about, politics wise ShinyCrystals 39 2184 September 23, 2023 at 6:39 am
Last Post: no one
  Big Two G2 USA and China Interaktive 19 1206 May 17, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 982 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Trump VS Trump (not exactly political news but I have no idea where to post this) Cepheus Ace 0 36687 February 12, 2019 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  Brett Kavanaugh, the new SCOTUS liberal? Jehanne 6 1803 December 14, 2018 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Two Old Pros - Doing Their Thing Minimalist 8 939 November 28, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Maybe Kavanaugh will be the next liberal SCOTUS judge?? Jehanne 10 1307 October 6, 2018 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  SCOTUS Invites Republicunts To Go Fuck Themselves Minimalist 11 2111 February 6, 2018 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Two minutes to midnight Jackalope 2 548 January 26, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Jackalope