Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 10:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My hypothesis
My hypothesis
Religion is like a parasitic organism and its ideal environment is an ignorant society. It is dying in our information age.

Two or more religions can form a daughter religion and over time a religion will reproduce itself with variation in a population according to selective pressures (known scientific facts).

This model predicts that many religions should appear spontaneously in ancient history (no selective pressures) despite low population and that religion should go extinct in the near future despite high population.

So essentially, the population of evolution deniers is dwindling according to principles of evolution.
Jesus is like Pinocchio.  He's the bastard son of a carpenter. And a liar. And he wishes he was real.
RE: My hypothesis
crack kills
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Where've you been, NV?!
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 31, 2017 at 10:42 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Where've you been, NV?!

Smoking crack apparently, lol. Or maybe Catholic Lady protests too much.
Jesus is like Pinocchio.  He's the bastard son of a carpenter. And a liar. And he wishes he was real.
(January 31, 2017 at 10:29 pm)Nihilist Virus Wrote: Religion is like a parasitic organism and its ideal environment is an ignorant society. It is dying in our information age.

Two or more religions can form a daughter religion and over time a religion will reproduce itself with variation in a population according to selective pressures (known scientific facts).

This model predicts that many religions should appear spontaneously in ancient history (no selective pressures) despite low population and that religion should go extinct in the near future despite high population.

So essentially, the population of evolution deniers is dwindling according to principles of evolution.

The problem with your theory is that the "information age" has not given any info about the nonexistence of God. So, religion will thrive until it does. And if extinction is in the cards, it won't be because of Christians. It will be in spite of them.
Quis ut Deus?
It has however provided the invisible community with the means to communicate.
It exposes blatant hypocrisy by the leaders of faith groups and allows rapid fact checking of claims as well as providing access to research data.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
(February 1, 2017 at 4:40 pm)ronedee Wrote:
(January 31, 2017 at 10:29 pm)Nihilist Virus Wrote: Religion is like a parasitic organism and its ideal environment is an ignorant society. It is dying in our information age.

The problem with your theory is that the "information age" has not given any info about the nonexistence of God. So, religion will thrive until it does. And if extinction is in the cards, it won't be because of Christians. It will be in spite of them.

Information indicating the nonexistentence of God is sufficient but not necessary for said information to be considered a selective pressure.
(February 1, 2017 at 5:26 pm)Mr Greene Wrote: It has however provided the invisible community with the means to communicate.
It exposes blatant hypocrisy by the leaders of faith groups and allows rapid fact checking of claims as well as providing access to research data.

Well, that could be any group. The major question goes unanswered.
Quis ut Deus?
(February 1, 2017 at 10:45 pm)ronedee Wrote:
(February 1, 2017 at 5:26 pm)Mr Greene Wrote: It has however provided the invisible community with the means to communicate.

Well, that could be any group. The major question goes unanswered.

Dying to live, living to die.