Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot sauces, spices and foods
Hot sauces, spices and foods
I'm curious to know how well my fellow AFers fair when it comes to hot sauces, spices and hot foods.

I have always been drawn to spicy wings and hot sauces and things like that. I have always loved authentic Mexican food and while everyone else would have to eat the "gringo salsa" I always loved the hottest of the hot.

Right now my favorite hot sauce is the El Yucateco Habanero Xxxtra Hot sauce... which is quite honestly pretty mild compared to what's out there. I love the Blazin wings at Buffalo Wild Wings, which I personally don't find hot at all, just tasty.

My friends and family all think I'm crazy but I'm just trying to find some fellow hot heads!

Anyone out there a spice junky?
“Love is the only bow on Life’s dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher.

It is the air and light of every heart – builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody – for music is the voice of love.

Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.” - Robert. G. Ingersoll

RE: Hot sauces, spices and foods
In the UK we usually measure spicy foods by curry type. I can enjoy a balti but that's about my limit.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
I don't like heat on its own. To me, it's pointless. But I put original Tabasco on a lot of stuff, including cheese toast and chili. I also like sri racha, but if I don't watch it, the garlic stays with me, and it's that that bugs me, not the heat. 

That said, I am a proud American, and like Americanized foods (excuse me: "Gringo").
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(February 1, 2017 at 11:34 am)ukatheist Wrote: In the UK we usually measure spicy foods by curry type. I can enjoy a balti but that's about my limit.

Ah I can't say I've had a whole lot of curry in my day... is it spicy? or does it depend on the kind of curry?? I'll be honest I don't know much about curry.

(February 1, 2017 at 11:37 am)c172 Wrote: I don't like heat on its own. To me, it's pointless. But I put original Tabasco on a lot of stuff, including cheese toast and chili. I also like sri racha, but if I don't watch it, the garlic stays with me, and it's that that bugs me, not the heat. 

That said, I am a proud American, and like Americanized foods (excuse me: "Gringo").

I love that sriracha sauce with the rooster on it. Also Wendy's creamy sriracha is delicious.

I like original Tobasco on certain things but it's a very heavy vinegar flavor so I'm careful with how much I use. sounds like it would be good in chili though
“Love is the only bow on Life’s dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher.

It is the air and light of every heart – builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody – for music is the voice of love.

Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.” - Robert. G. Ingersoll

I'm a big fan of vindaloo curry. I've tried phal - supposed to be the next level of the-foods-that-make-your-teeth-sweat scale - and can't take it.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Not sure how to describe it...brings out a slight sweat on your upper lip, but not full on dabbing all over with napkins :-)

Hotter than thai green curry (but I find that more aromatic than spicy).

I live in New Mexico and I love the food here. That pretty much sums it up.
Pace picante mild is as far as I go.

At Hu Hot, I do throw 1/2 ladle of hot chili oil in the mix, but I use 2 bowls, 1 for most veggies and 1 for the beef, onions, chopped peanuts and mushrooms. The sauce mix is slightly different for each bowl, black Thai peanut predominates both, but the veggie bowl gets a ladle of garlic oil, the beef bowl gets partial ladles of sesame and hot chili oil. For about half the grilling time, the meat and veggies are cooked adjacent, not mixed, hence the slight adjustment in the sauce mix.

(yeah, I REALLY get into the Hu Hot experience)
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 1, 2017 at 11:20 am)AceBoogie Wrote: I'm curious to know how well my fellow AFers fair when it comes to hot sauces, spices and hot foods.

I have always been drawn to spicy wings and hot sauces and things like that. I have always loved authentic Mexican food and while everyone else would have to eat the "gringo salsa" I always loved the hottest of the hot.

Right now my favorite hot sauce is the El Yucateco Habanero Xxxtra Hot sauce... which is quite honestly pretty mild compared to what's out there. I love the Blazin wings at Buffalo Wild Wings, which I personally don't find hot at all, just tasty.

My friends and family all think I'm crazy but I'm just trying to find some fellow hot heads!

Anyone out there a spice junky?

I grow own pepper and am crushed that my red savina habaneros died this winter. Fortunately, I seeded a couple pepper before using them and kept the seeds. I'll be starting them in the next couple weeks.

Still, my jalapeño plant is doing well, along with my regular habanero. I'm going to try planting some serranos as well. That will give me a full heat range from bells all the way to the red savinas. I would consider ghost peppers, except that once you get past the heat, they're awfully bitter.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(February 1, 2017 at 12:09 pm)vorlon13 Wrote:    Pace picante mild is as far as I go.

At Hu Hot, I do throw 1/2 ladle of hot chili oil in the mix, but I use 2 bowls, 1 for most  veggies and 1 for the beef, onions, chopped peanuts and mushrooms.  The sauce mix is slightly different for each bowl, black Thai peanut predominates both, but the veggie bowl gets a ladle of garlic oil, the beef bowl gets partial ladles of sesame and hot chili oil.  For about half the grilling time, the meat and veggies are cooked adjacent, not mixed, hence the slight adjustment in the sauce mix.

(yeah, I REALLY get into the Hu Hot experience)

lol oh no! Pace picante mild though... delicious

What is Hu Hot?!

(February 1, 2017 at 12:57 pm)The Gentleman Bastard Wrote: I grow own pepper and am crushed that my red savina habaneros died this winter. Fortunately, I seeded a couple pepper before using them and kept the seeds. I'll be starting them in the next couple weeks.

Still, my jalapeño plant is doing well, along with my regular habanero. I'm going to try planting some serranos as well. That will give me a full heat range from bells all the way to the red savinas. I would consider ghost peppers, except that once you get past the heat, they're awfully bitter.
Yea I'm not a huge fan of ghost peppers  by themselves... had a ghost pepper pizza once and while it wasn't insanely hot it definitely had some heat to it but it didn't taste great. I love love love habaneros...

you make me want to start a garden Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  men and women with tattoos, hot or not? orthodox-man 110 20954 April 24, 2018 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  "Shit the Bed" Hot Sauce! ignoramus 7 2466 June 18, 2017 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Regina
  I'm looking for good recipe ideas for the foods that I usually buy from the store WisdomOfTheTrees 1 739 February 5, 2017 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  What are your favorite foods? BrokenQuill92 33 5037 July 26, 2015 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  What are the best BBQ foods ever? Let's make the perfect barbecue. H2O 72 9672 June 30, 2015 at 2:32 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  It's hot! Doubting Thomas 85 10024 July 19, 2013 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  Local Foods Savannahw 75 20303 June 18, 2013 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: AmyLoch
Smile Traditional Christmas foods and drinks? Tea Earl Grey Hot 5 1658 December 23, 2012 at 12:54 am
Last Post: Faith No More
Heart Summer the hot JewMuslim 5thHorseman 23 6865 November 30, 2012 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: Vincenzo Vinny G.
  Hot!!!! Darwinian 24 4448 June 28, 2010 at 12:59 am
Last Post: Samson