Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 12:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump threatens to send troops into Mexico to take care of the "bad hombres"
Trump to Mexico: Take care of 'bad hombres' or US might

Quote:WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump threatened in a phone call with his Mexican counterpart to send U.S. troops to stop "bad hombres down there" unless the Mexican military does more to control them, according to an excerpt of a transcript of the conversation obtained by The Associated Press.

The excerpt of the call did not detail who exactly Trump considered "bad hombres," nor did it make clear the tone and context of the remark, made in a Friday morning phone call between the leaders. It also did not contain Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto's response.

Still, the excerpt offers a rare and striking look at how the new president is conducting diplomacy behind closed doors. Trump's remarks suggest he is using the same tough and blunt talk with world leaders that he used to rally crowds on the campaign trail.

A White House spokesman did not respond to requests for comment. The Mexican Foreign Relations Department told The AP: "The negative statements you refer to did not occur during said telephone call. On the contrary, the tone was constructive."

The phone call between the leaders was intended to patch things up between the new president and his ally. The two have had a series of public spats over Trump's determination to have Mexico pay for the planned border wall, something Mexico steadfastly refuses to agree to.

"You have a bunch of bad hombres down there," Trump told Pena Nieto, according to the excerpt given to AP. "You aren't doing enough to stop them. I think your military is scared. Our military isn't, so I just might send them down to take care of it."

A person with access to the official transcript of the phone call provided only that portion of the conversation to The Associated Press. The person gave it on condition of anonymity because the administration did not make the details of the call public.

The Mexican website Aristegui Noticias on Tuesday published a similar account of the phone call, based on the reporting of journalist Dolia Estevez. The report described Trump as humiliating Pena Nieto in a confrontational conversation.

Mexico's foreign relations department denied that account, saying it "is based on absolute falsehoods."

Trump has used the phrase "bad hombres" before. In an October presidential debate, he vowed to get rid the U.S. of "drug lords" and "bad people."

"We have some bad hombres here, and we're going to get them out," he said. The phrase ricocheted on social media with Trump opponents saying he was denigrating immigrants.

Trump's comment was in line with the new administration's bullish stance on foreign policy matters in general, and the president's willingness to break long-standing norms around the globe.

Before his inauguration, Trump spoke to the president of Taiwan, breaking long-standing U.S. policy and irritating China. His temporary ban on refugees and travelers from seven Muslim-majority countries, aimed at reviewing screening procedures to lessen the threat of extremist attacks, has caused consternation around the world.

But nothing has created the level of bickering as the border wall, a centerpiece of his campaign. Mexico has consistently said it would not pay for the wall and opposes it. Before the phone call, Pena Nieto canceled a planned visit to the United States.

The fresh fight with Mexico last week arose over trade as the White House proposed a 20 percent tax on imports from the key U.S. ally to finance the wall after Pena Nieto abruptly scrapped his Jan. 31 trip to Washington.

The U.S. and Mexico conduct some $1.6 billion a day in cross-border trade, and cooperate on everything from migration to anti-drug enforcement to major environmental issues.

Trump tasked his son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner — a real estate executive with no foreign policy experience — with managing the ongoing dispute, according to an administration official with knowledge of the call.

At a press conference with British Prime Minister Theresa May last week, Trump described his call with Pena Nieto as "friendly."

In a statement, the White House said the two leaders acknowledged their "clear and very public differences" and agreed to work through the immigration disagreement as part of broader discussions on the relationship between their countries.

Holy hell. I'd laugh if it weren't so sad.

But wait: there's more! I'm so glad we have a level-headed POTUS who knows how important the role of chief diplomat really is.

Report: Trump lashes out at Australian PM on phone call

Quote:President Trump may be off to a rocky start with one of the United States’ closest allies: Australia.

In a Saturday phone call with Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, Trump lambasted an agreement between the two countries over refugee resettlement and bragged about the size of his Electoral College victory, as well as the fact that he had held several calls with other world leaders that same day, The Washington Post reports.

“This was the worst call by far,” Trump allegedly told Turnbull during their conversation, according to senior U.S. officials briefed on the phone call. Trump also spoke with Shinzo Abe of Japan, Angela Merkel of Germany, François Hollande of France and Vladimir Putin of Russia that day.

The account of the phone call seems to contradict that of the White House, which said that the two men “emphasized the enduring strength and closeness of the U.S.-Australia relationship that is critical for peace, stability, and prosperity in the Asia-Pacific region and globally.”
When Turnbull asked Trump if the U.S. would take in 1,250 refugees currently being held in Australia — an agreement that the two countries made under President Obama — Trump reportedly called it “the worst deal ever,” and suggested that Australia may be trying to send the U.S. “the next Boston bomber.”

The phone call was expected to last an hour. But after about 25 minutes, The Post reports, Trump suddenly ended it.

Separately, The Associated Press reported on Thursday that Trump told Mexico’s president Enrique Peña Nieto during a Friday phone call that Mexico had “a bunch of bad hombres down there,” and threatened to send in the U.S. military to intervene.

The White House and Mexico’s government have both denied those reports.

Turnbull refused to comment on The Post’s report, but said the refugee agreement between the two countries would go ahead as planned.

"That assurance was confirmed by the President's spokesman in the briefing room of the White House,” Turnbull said at a press conference Tuesday. “And our respective officials, are continuing to work on the implementation of the arrangements. That's the position."

"These conversations are conducted candidly, frankly, privately. If you see reports of them, I'm not going to add to them," he continued.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
RE: Trump threatens to send troops into Mexico to take care of the "bad hombres"
I suppose my question is - did Trump really say he would send the US military into Mexico? Who knows - I wouldn't be surprised if he did. Most Mexicans hate Trump and so would be motivated to say something like that - true or not.

Perhaps Trump doesn't realize the Mexican drug cartels have a live presence in the US. He would be kidnapped and decapitated the moment US troops are sent to invade Mexico.

Mexico doesn't have nuclear weapons, though. Frankly, I'm far more nervous about Trump wagging his tiny fingers at Iran or China.
RE: Trump threatens to send troops into Mexico to take care of the "bad hombres"
Holy crap I've said if someone assassinated him we'd have a more clever nutjob in Pence but at least he wouldn't do dumb crap like that. Trump either has no awareness of where he is or what he's doing or doesn't care. We could do less damage if we made a random person from a sports bar president.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
RE: Trump threatens to send troops into Mexico to take care of the "bad hombres&q...
(February 1, 2017 at 10:32 pm)Tres Leches Wrote: I suppose my question is - did Trump really say he would send the US military into Mexico? Who knows - I wouldn't be surprised if he did. Most Mexicans hate Trump and so would be motivated to say something like that - true or not.

Perhaps Trump doesn't realize the Mexican drug cartels have a live presence in the US. He would be kidnapped and decapitated the moment US troops are sent to invade Mexico.

Mexico doesn't have nuclear weapons, though. Frankly, I'm far more nervous about Trump wagging his tiny fingers at Iran or China.

Yes, wagging his tiny "finger" at them is a typical idiotic move.

I'm seeing parallels here with the history of the Judge Dredd timeline.

US president Robert L Booth, claiming American superiority, threatens the rest of the world with destruction if they don't bow to his demands.

US president Donald R Trump...

Only difference is a 60 year gap...
Dying to live, living to die.
(February 1, 2017 at 10:32 pm)Tres Leches Wrote: Perhaps Trump doesn't realize the Mexican drug cartels have a live presence in the US. He would be kidnapped and decapitated the moment US troops are sent to invade Mexico.

A US President kidnaped? Crazy.
I think he is unkidnappable, like all US presidents. Too much security... Shooting is much easier.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Trump threatens to send troops into Mexico to take care of the "bad hombres&q...
(February 1, 2017 at 10:32 pm)Tres Leches Wrote: I suppose my question is - did Trump really say he would send the US military into Mexico? Who knows - I wouldn't be surprised if he did. Most Mexicans hate Trump and so would be motivated to say something like that - true or not.

Watchoo talkin' 'bout Willis? The Mexican people LOVE Trump! He said so himself! All kidding aside, the cheeto-in-chief is alienating the rest of the world at breakneck speed. Dodgy

Also, kidnapping him is problematic, and putting peyote in his food wouldn't work. Who would be able to tell the difference? Angel
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
True, the kidnapping thing is probably unrealistic given his security.

On a side note, it seems like I read once that President Obama got 7 to 10 death threats a day. I'm curious how many Trump gets. Not that I condone violence towards the president. But I know there are a lot of "bad hombres" out there that don't like him.
For any American alive, war is something that happens somewhere else. It's terrible, but it happens at a distance.

You want to see what this fucktard's diplomacy might lead to? You want to see what those nice manicured south Texas/NM/Arizona/SoCal lawns look like when they are an actual warzone?

You know, it strikes me that this is a way Trump might sway popular opinion for this fucking wall. Get the other side gearing up for military conflict and watch the gun totin', Bible thumpin' masses pay up.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Trump wants war. He is going to do everything he can to make a war take place, because he figures at least he is safe with everything at his disposal as president.

He is the most dangerous type of individual to have been made president, and the world will burn before people realize the mistake they made.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are conservatives in this country trying to turn 'Murica into Nazi Germany? Foxaèr 11 1410 May 6, 2022 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Black People - Stop Blaming Racism, Take Responsibility Napoléon 227 25840 March 18, 2022 at 4:21 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Cheney challenger admits to statutory rape: Republicans don't care Rev. Rye 39 1973 May 28, 2021 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Conservatives, COVID, Agency and Autism, some insights into political worldviews Rev. Rye 5 552 January 10, 2021 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Let’s take their guns BrokenQuill92 141 9117 November 22, 2020 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are Christians trying to turn US into a theocracy? Fake Messiah 11 739 October 8, 2020 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 991 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  As Economy Crashes, Democracts Finally Start To Take Impeactment Seriously. ReptilianPeon 28 1823 September 22, 2019 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Bad Apple Yonadav 7 1003 March 4, 2019 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Trump VS Trump (not exactly political news but I have no idea where to post this) Cepheus Ace 0 36819 February 12, 2019 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace