Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump vows to destroy the law limiting churches' political activity
Trump vows to destroy the law limiting churches' political activity
Trump vows to destroy the Johnson Amendment

Quote:President Trump on Thursday vowed to "destroy" the Johnson Amendment, which prevents religious groups and churches from engaging in political activities.

"I will get rid of and totally destroy the Johnson Amendment and allow our representatives of faith to speak freely and without fear of retribution," the president said Thursday at the National Prayer Breakfast.

"I will do that, remember."

The president added that freedom of a religion is a "sacred right," but that it is also "under threat."

"And the world is under serious, serious threat, in so many different ways and I've never seen it so much and so openly," he said.
"The world is in trouble, we're going to straighten is out."

The Johnson Amendment prohibits churches and other tax-exempt organizations from endorsing political candidates. Repealing the amendment would allow religious organizations to engage in partisan political activities without losing their tax exemption status.

Repealing the law has long been a top cause of religious conservatives, who strongly backed Trump's White House bid.

During the presidential campaign, Trump also vowed to repeal the Johnson Amendment. 

“The first thing we have to do is give our churches their voice back,” Trump said during a campaign event in September. 

“The Johnson Amendment has blocked our pastors from speaking their minds from their own pulpit. If they want to talk about Christianity, if they want to preach or talk about politics, they’re unable to do so, they take a tremendous risk that they’ll lose their of their tax-exempt status.”

Pro-Trump and anti-Trump members have been clashing on my topics lately, but I'm assuming that all atheist/non-religious members, regardless of political beliefs, would disagree with this move by the POTUS.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
RE: Trump vows to destroy the law limiting churches' political activity
I mean, on principle yeah, but was this ever actually enforced by the IRS? Seemed like every year you'd hear of preachers ain't political stuff in front of their congregations and nothing ever happened.
(February 2, 2017 at 1:52 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I mean, on principle yeah, but was this ever actually enforced by the IRS? Seemed like every year you'd hear of preachers ain't political stuff in front of their congregations and nothing ever happened.

But now you'll get to see billboards with Pat Robertson's smiling face saying, "vote trump or burn in hell".

Christians eat that up.

“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
Ah well, the country's been an effective theocracy for decades now. May as well start making it official.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
The sucking continues unabated. Sad
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
My deeply held religious views demand trump should be tied to a nuke and launched towards the sun
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I, for one, welcome our new Christian overlords. :p
Welcome to the new Dominion, all.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
I'm pretty sure this ain't gonna be good for religion.

Politics have already corrupted the evangelicals and the fundamentalists. Having the religious folks stray even further from their piety in search of votes will count as a 'win' for atheism.

I think "Citizen's United" could be cited as a precedent of sorts, so Trump or not, the rule was quite likely to be found unconstitutional at some point regardless.

LOL, I've read enough of Ehrman by now to not be much impressed with any argument made from the Christer camp about anything these days. I had been of the mindset that while still false, Christianity as a whole was going to be better thought out than Mormonism.

Boy was I wrong about that !!

If the US Christers want to embrace politics, it is just one more way they have of dividing themselves further.

First Church of Jesus Christ Repentance Democrat , of Canton Ohio, anyone ?

As atheists, we have many things of greater import to concern ourselves with.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Sorry Vorlon, corrupted religion is not a win for atheism. When church and state get intertwined, people don't leave the churches more rapidly, they stick harder.

This is an attempt to return to the Dark Ages.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Next he'll proclaim watersports as the nations official past time.

“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MA publishes database of law enforcement disciplinary actions Nanny 0 379 August 22, 2023 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Break any law if it’s for Jesus Fake Messiah 0 138 March 17, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Gavin Newsom - Political Skunk onlinebiker 1 384 September 24, 2020 at 7:53 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Saudi Arabia: Leaked reports reveal severe abuse of political prisoners-The Guardian WinterHold 6 1097 April 13, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  Like Father Like Son-In-Law Minimalist 1 346 October 14, 2018 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Joods
  California Requires Women on Corp Boards by law. brewer 49 3802 October 11, 2018 at 4:54 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  How (possible) Political Censorship Hides our Quirkiness Neo-Scholastic 1 259 October 10, 2018 at 10:38 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  What is the effect of political ads, particularly negative ones? Angrboda 12 656 September 28, 2018 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Political Commentator Ed Schultz Is Dead A Theist 11 1665 July 9, 2018 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  New Iowa Law Restricts Abortion To Before Most Women Know They're Pregnant The Industrial Atheist 164 23836 May 20, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Amarok