Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I finally watched contact on Netflix.....
I finally watched contact on Netflix.....
I get the point that they are trying to make: relate the woman's atheist experience to a theist experience which in both cases "no one believes them" since they each can provide no proof for either of them. However, my atheist bias sorta blocks the way for me to appreciate this say vs an 18 year old undecided individual who would I can imagine totally jumping on this.

One way it bugs me is that it promotes a "delusion" on a level of science which kinda scares me. I mean, a lot of super religious people are very mentally fucked up and grasp at straws to support their claims, and this movie just gives them a super sweet pixie straw filled with sugar. It wouldn't bug me except that these delusions really do hurt people in tangible ways!

The second thing is that the woman DID go through a really messed up PHYSICAL experiment if you will, and her rationalizing it with theory of relativity adds a bit more credibility to her case rather than a nutjob (or group of nutjobs) claiming god spoke to them internally out of no where. I especially liked it when she admitted that her hallucinating this is a very well possibility before she went on the emotional rant "but deep down I know I happened!" in order to feed that crazy religious person parallel. I think a real scientist would say something like, "Given what I personally experienced, I believe there is indeed a 10-15% chance I hallucinated it all, but a 85-90% chance it was really a wormwhole and I met aliens."

What are your thoughts my fellow divine atheists?
[Image: tumblr_nvrbfbDXgM1u0bifgo1_400.jpg]
RE: I finally watched contact on Netflix.....
The book is much better, and presents a situation which I would believe in a diety or creator. The creator leaves a message like a billion digits into pi. It's not the Christian god, but it does point to something.

I love the book. I liked the movie.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(February 2, 2017 at 11:13 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: The book is much better, and presents a situation which I would believe in a diety or creator. The creator leaves a message like a billion digits into pi. It's not the Christian god, but it does point to something.

I love the book. I liked the movie.

Well, what you described doesn't really convince me. I'd probably have to read the book to truly get where you are coming from though.

The best argument for a undefined higher power is the fine tuning argument with he laws of physics, but I find he anthropic principal with a humongous statistical universal lucky lottery much more convincing.....and inspiring too.
[Image: tumblr_nvrbfbDXgM1u0bifgo1_400.jpg]
I looked it up, so it was the idea that if you look at pi in base 11, there was a string of ones and zeros that when plotted as a two dimensional array, turned out to be a perfect circle.

If a transcendental mathematical concept like pi were to have some sort of message in like that in it, it would at the very least give me pause. But it would be physical, repeatable, testable evidence, no?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I finally did it! godlessheatheness 36 7279 April 24, 2017 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  So toay i got my triangle tattoo and watched what happend AugumentAthiest666 3 1329 December 8, 2014 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Encouraging intelligence in our youth!! Finally! The Reality Salesman01 32 7236 May 13, 2013 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Atheism is "finally dying out" taylor93112 26 8073 April 15, 2013 at 7:22 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Finally, proof there is no god! Tempus 6 5077 August 14, 2012 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What finally did it for me... dave4shmups 3 1272 September 10, 2011 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: frankiej