Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When is a sex scandal relevant?
When is a sex scandal relevant?
I was wondering at what line do you start caring about a sex scandal with a politician? At what point should a sex scandal disqualify a politician from office? I'm just interested at what everybody's personal line is? If Trump really paid hookers to pee on him, does that disqualify him? What about Bill Clinton and Monica? What is your personal line for when sex scandals disqualifies someone?
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
RE: When is a sex scandal relevant?
I don't think it necessarily disqualifies anyone from office. I do think it should eliminate the authority of anyone from enforcing rules or preaching about morality or the sanctity of marriage.

Bragging about sexually assaulting women should disqualify a candidate for the "moral majority" party.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(February 3, 2017 at 12:06 am)CapnAwesome Wrote: I was wondering at what line do you start caring about a sex scandal with a politician? At what point should a sex scandal disqualify a politician from office? I'm just interested at what everybody's personal line is? If Trump really paid hookers to pee on him, does that disqualify him? What about Bill Clinton and Monica? What is your personal line for when sex scandals disqualifies someone?

For me it's whenever this puritanical country finds the candidate unfit.  I don't really care about their sexual  weirdities except so far as that shows their lack of commitment to doing what it takes to be elected.  If they don't really want it I might prefer a different candidate.

Monika and Bill?  Pfft.  Whatever.  That's for Bill and Hillary to decide - well - except insofar as Bill's taking advantage of a younger employee is icky.  But Trump's "grab them by the pussy" -if you assume it was more than locker room talk- is outright predatory and much worse.
(February 3, 2017 at 12:10 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: I don't think it necessarily disqualifies anyone from office. I do think it should eliminate the authority of anyone from enforcing rules or preaching about morality or the sanctity of marriage.

Bragging about sexually assaulting women should disqualify a candidate for the "moral majority" party.

That sort of seems like saying that only Republicans are disqualified for sex stuff.
Politicians who pander to the religousites need to comport themselves accordingly.

BTW, it doesn't seem people really know what 'pander' means anymore. It's not a good thing.

From Wiki:

Pandering is the act of expressing one's views in accordance with the likes of a group to which one is attempting to appeal. The term is most notably associated with politics. In pandering, the views one is expressing are merely for the purpose of drawing support up to and including votes and do not necessarily reflect one's personal values.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Peeing prostitutes?? Hadn't heard that one yet. Is that new?

Anyway, I don't think sex scandals should legally "disqualify" someone. As far as my personal vote goes, if you cheat on your wife/husband, I wont vote for you. Doesn't matter with who.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(February 3, 2017 at 12:27 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Peeing prostitutes?? Hadn't heard that one yet. Is that new?

Well it's a rumor that's not backed up by anything solid. That Russia has a tape of Trump in Russia engaging in Golden Showers with prostitutes.

(February 3, 2017 at 12:24 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Politicians who pander to the religousites need to comport themselves accordingly.

BTW, it doesn't seem people really know what 'pander' means anymore.  It's not a good thing.

From Wiki:

Pandering is the act of expressing one's views in accordance with the likes of a group to which one is attempting to appeal. The term is most notably associated with politics. In pandering, the views one is expressing are merely for the purpose of drawing support up to and including votes and do not necessarily reflect one's personal values.

Every politician panders to religious people. So that disqualifies them all.

I think you are basically just saying that Republicans aren't allowed to have sex scandals and Democrats are.
(February 3, 2017 at 12:21 am)CapnAwesome Wrote: That sort of seems like saying that only Republicans are disqualified for sex stuff.

Only the politicians that insist on preaching about sexual morality should be disqualified for sex stuff. If a Democrat went around trying to codify their personal sexual preferences into law, I would say the same of that person.

It just so happens that only one party makes its bones on who goes in what bathroom or whose religious liberty is incumbent on not selling cakes to sodomites.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Rape and pedophila are relevant disqualifiers.
Another sexcapade that should disqualify a pol: Discussing confidential or secret materials with one's lover, as happened not too long back Petraeus, if I remember correctly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Britain's Russia Collusion Scandal Foxaèr 3 588 June 23, 2018 at 7:45 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Republican advisor made a woman a sex slave Rev. Rye 67 7855 April 12, 2018 at 10:40 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Bill Maher Lays Out The Russia Scandal Minimalist 4 1003 October 2, 2017 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Sex worker polls Democrats and Republican clients. CapnAwesome 22 2494 September 13, 2016 at 2:18 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Here's an email scandal to investigate! Minimalist 6 1409 June 28, 2016 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Atheists, do you support same-sex marriage? TristanTeller 72 15448 July 31, 2015 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Cato
  GOP to unveil bill to stop affirmation of same-sex marriage Foxaèr 10 3161 April 23, 2015 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Another Faux Scandal DeistPaladin 2 1056 March 5, 2015 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  shoild same sex couples be allowed to adopt? vaginahouse 23 3078 December 10, 2014 at 10:19 am
Last Post: Losty
  Secular reasons for and againt same sex marriage Dolorian 26 6087 September 23, 2014 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus