Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 5:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LGBTQ question. Watching Sense8 on Netflix
LGBTQ question. Watching Sense8 on Netflix
DISCLAIMER: I *think* I'm progressive and encourage the equality of all. That said I did find this series odd and have some questions.

Also *SPOILERS* Read on at your own risk.

1. nearly one third of the first three episodes are sex scenes. If found only one of the earliest ones (the lesbian scene that was connecting to the gay actor) relevant. He got a hard-on from it and was presented with a situation that compromised him because of it. I understood at that point that sex and possibly other strong emotions would connect them. It was very clear and even humorous and a great piece of writing. So why was sex flogged afterwards?

2. There are a number of other sex scenes that just reinforce the above. Some happen after the great line from the Indian (from India) character "There is the internet.". So why are there they there? Is it a failure of the writer and director and they feel the need to put a spot light on it and point at it? Or is there some other reason I'm missing? 

3. I see a great scifi element underneath the copious desire of our writer/directors to throw sex in my face. I'm reminded of jokes about  Game of Thrones. It's like a 15 year old is taking over every other scene to write a scene with sex. Is this how Sense8 continues? Do they fall back on random, unnecessary gratuitous sex to try and carry the series?

4. Why do only gay people in this series have deeply committed relationships? The director/writer even highlights it then points at it over and over again. An entire plot device is built around it. Why?

5. Lastly I was sold on the character of Nomi as a gay woman. When I learned she was a transwoman I found I looked at her differently. I noticed things about her and saw her as an entirely different character. I saw my bias. Knowing that I have one what can I possibly do as an older man to combat that and make it more normal? Or am I just to damn old to help myself?

Lastly if there is another forum for this to be in please let me know and I'll put it there. Just trying to understand.

Thanks to all that respond.
"I'm thick." - Me

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are you watching on Youtube? Angrboda 11 621 July 19, 2023 at 12:00 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  What are you currently watching on YouTube? Angrboda 13 767 January 14, 2022 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Let's (re-)watch a series on Netflix together. Mystic 33 3771 October 18, 2018 at 10:17 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  What I learned from watching 3 movies. Gawdzilla Sama 2 371 May 2, 2018 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Enjoyment from watching others get hurt, and sociopathy Catholic_Lady 106 10548 November 29, 2017 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  My psycho mom likes to spy on me watching TV and cook and arrange her schecule around ashabasha17 13 2866 November 10, 2014 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  I have a homosexual question and incest question? KingKong 39 8684 July 6, 2014 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Amalynne0
  Just finished watching my lesbian soap opera Violet 16 4254 August 9, 2013 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  "Answer the Question with a Question" Game Rayaan 101 17258 August 14, 2012 at 6:28 am
Last Post: Rayaan