Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative to "click bait" rule: block threads
Alternative to "click bait" rule: block threads
I feel the click bait rule is a bad idea and a bad direction for the forum to go in, so I have a possible alternative.

Just like you can put people in your "ignore" group and "buddy" group, have another group called "block threads" or similar.

When you put someone in this third category, any threads they start will be removed from view when you look at the list of threads.

In this way, people need to take ownership of the quality of their posts, threads and titles in general. If you decide someone doesn't make good threads for whatever reason, including because you think they are "click bait", you just shut them out. So the reward for writing bad stuff will be that less and less people will be reading it. You then just have a nice clean list of topics, started by people you still want to read, and there's no need to start judging the quality of titles as staff.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Alternative to "click bait" rule: block threads
What about people who post 70% clickbaity things, but the remainder good discussion worthy threads? Instead of blocking altogether, why not just leave it up to people to report which titles they find clickbait and threads with enough votes will require the original poster to change the title
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Well, that's another problem with this. The amount of reports that the staff receive could significantly increase. It's a lot of extra work, and I just don't see the benefit personally.

For example, if they needed five reports before they altered a title, that involves an awful lot of work behind the scenes to link that all together. Each report requires filling in paperwork, whether or not anything was done with it.

And because this is all so subjective, people could be reporting titles left right and center.

I suppose if someone makes some threads you like and some you don't, just ignore their stupid ones. I'm not getting why it matters if there is more explanation in the post... I mean, that's always going to be the case. If it's an obvious baiting silly title, then it's obvious you can ignore it.

Plus the staff then have to discuss how they are going to alter the title... which is again somewhat infringing on free speech, unnecessarily in my opinion.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
How about just post "Thanks for the 'click bait'" and move on?

Drama, drama, drama.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
What's wrong with click baity threads in the first place....?
(February 5, 2017 at 7:35 am)robvalue Wrote: Well, that's another problem with this. The amount of reports that the staff receive could significantly increase. It's a lot of extra work, and I just don't see the benefit personally.

For example, if they needed five reports before they altered a title, that involves an awful lot of work behind the scenes to link that all together. Each report requires filling in paperwork, whether or not anything was done with it.

And because this is all so subjective, people could be reporting titles left right and center.

I suppose if someone makes some threads you like and some you don't, just ignore their stupid ones. I'm not getting why it matters if there is more explanation in the post... I mean, that's always going to be the case. If it's an obvious baiting silly title, then it's obvious you can ignore it.

Plus the staff then have to discuss how they are going to alter the title... which is again somewhat infringing on free speech, unnecessarily in my opinion.

Do them good to have some extra work, what with the vast pay they get just for being on staff. If they didn't spend all their time driving round in flash cars and jetting off to Monte Carlo to drink peppermint schnapps out of Gigi Hadid's brassiere, they might be able to monitor a post or two.

Come on.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 5, 2017 at 8:38 am)pool the great Wrote: What's wrong with click baity threads in the first place....?

I don't know. But if something has to be done, I'd rather it wasn't the current rule.

Index of my best videos
(February 5, 2017 at 10:15 am)robvalue Wrote: I don't know. But if something has to be done, I'd rather it wasn't the current rule.

It reminds me a bit of something we have a saying about: "Vurschrift is Vurschrift". Translates into law is law and is used if one's at a loss explaining the purpose of some regulation and resort to saying it's the law, so put up and shut up.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I honestly don't understand why this rule has been so controversial lol.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(February 5, 2017 at 11:21 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I honestly don't understand why this rule has been so controversial lol.

Because it's boring as hell.

Just to give one example, which, in my case would fall under the new rule.

I made a thread called "Saved by his enemy". It was about a neonazi having a car accident and been saved by Syrian refugees he campaigned against. So, under this rule, I had to call it: "Neonazi saved by refugees".

That's boring and I don't see why people can't take the few seconds to check if the thread's interesting or not.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestion: Install Soma Tablet Depositories On All Threads Violet 17 2474 May 3, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
Information [Serious] Why can't I subscribe to threads? CaenLeranzo 6 1460 February 25, 2020 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Civil/ safe option for threads. Mystic 2 1089 November 19, 2018 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Eliminate Automatic Insertion of Horizontal Rule Neo-Scholastic 21 3017 November 29, 2017 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  I know I'm not supposed to revive really old threads, so... Martian Mermaid 23 4872 November 22, 2017 at 9:45 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Question about latest forum rule Catholic_Lady 29 4781 November 14, 2017 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Mafia game threads showing in "Today's Posts" lists Ravenshire 18 6626 February 5, 2017 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Missing drafts (threads, not PMs) Aroura 13 2077 December 2, 2016 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: Aroura
  Trolling rule Excited Penguin 61 7640 November 19, 2016 at 8:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Necroing of threads by newbies Joods 11 1919 July 4, 2016 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: Whateverist